Wound Ballistics: An Overview

Discussion in 'Video How-To's and Tutorials' started by Paul Gomez, Mar 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    +1
    Absolutely.....thank you!

2. TheDan

TheDan DEPLORABLE TGT Supporter

Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    That was a long post, but I actually read all of it :rofl:

Good article!

3. Paul Gomez

Paul Gomez Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks for the comments, guys. I've been offline teaching in Winters, TX for the last few days.

To be clear: None of the information posted above is MINE. Well, other than the bridge paragraphs explaining my notations. The date comes from the IWBA and the FBI. DocGKR is Doctor Gary K. Roberts. He is one of the founding members of the IWBA and is certainly the most active member of the wound ballistics community online.

4. Paul Gomez

Paul Gomez Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Knoxville, TN
    Here's the follow on video in which I attempt to clarify some of the things that seemed to raise the ire in some segments of the interwebz. Enjoy!

[video=youtube;42-hok8IjQQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42-hok8IjQQ[/video]

5. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Hahah, I figured people would get upset by what you said. Nice video, though!

6. Fifth Column

Fifth Column New Member

Mar 11, 2013
    This is very thorough. Thanks for the time you put into this.

7. Flyingswords

Flyingswords Active Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Killeen, TX
    Those DDupleks expanding slugs are really nasty.

8. LJH

LJH Well-Known

Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    RIP Paul

9. Sapper740

Sapper740 TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2013
    Decent video, although there were a couple of mistakes and he didn't really present much of anything new. Further, I found myself saying "Sum up!" more than once. The mistakes? The revolvers rushed to the Phillipines were Colt New Service which are Double Action, not Single Action as stated in the video and the service rifle was chambered for the .30-40 Krag, not the "thirty-eight"-40. Minor points. Further, and I'm just talking about the video, the importance of the Permanent Wound Channel over the Temporary Wound Channel should have been mentioned, and stressed.
    All this is old hat to we old timers who were weaned on the Taylor Knock Out Factor. The TKOF was an equation to determine the stopping power of rifle cartridges during the heyday of African big game hunting. Taylor determined from first hand experience that a cartridge's stopping power was as reliant on three things: Bullet diameter, bullet weight, and velocity. Before y'all shout "DUH!", you should understand he gave equal weight to all three, unlike energy calculations which are based upon the square of the velocity.

TKOF = bullet diameter (in inches) X Bullet weight (in grains) X bullet velocity (in f.p.s.) divided by 7000.

Of course, the least of Taylor's concerns were over-penetration, which is something self-defence shooters do need to worry about. Yes, this equation was originally for rifle cartridges, but the salient points, bigger is better than smaller, heavier is better than lighter, and faster is better than slower are just as relevant then as now.

10. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    "Knock-out factors" and other math games tend to have very little utility for defensive shooters. They may (or not, I don't know but seriously doubt they do even there) apply to African game; they don't appear to apply to humans.

200 gr. 10 mm Double Tap gives a TKOF of 14.9. (200 gr. bullet at 1600 FPS, .400" diameter.)

M193 5.56x45mm FMJ gives a TKOF of only 5.8. (55 gr. bullet at 3290 FPS, .224" diameter.)

Sorry, but reality disagrees very heavily on this one. No 10mm load is going to top M193 (and a host of even better 5.56 loads that will score only marginally higher in this "test) as a defensive round.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.