Join TexasGunTalk

Wound Ballistics: An Overview

Discussion in 'Video How-To's and Tutorials' started by Paul Gomez, Mar 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Phil

Big Phil Well-Known

Feb 20, 2013
    SATX
    Great video and info, thanks.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  2. Sapper740

Sapper740 TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2013
    Are you talking about the 1986 shoot-out in Miami? The one that led to the FBI re-thinking it's policy of firearms for field agents? Neither William Matix nor Michael Platt (the bad actors) were shot with a rifle. They were killed by multiple hits from pistol rounds, one of them was wounded 12 times before he expired. One of them was hit in the lower legs with 00 Buck from a shotgun, but those weren't lethal wounds. The only rifle used was an Mini 14 by one of the bad guys.

3. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
  4. Sapper740

Sapper740 TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2013
    Definitely a wound from a high velocity round. Might not a 5.45 bullet from an AK74 leave such an exit wound?

5. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Yes, it could. I was just guessing 5.56 because it's a bit more common. Either way, high velocity like you said.

6. WCDUB

WCDUB Active Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I'm late to the party,but this was an interesting post.

Much information,but these points really stand out for me:
    1.No pistol bullet has enough momentum to knock down whoever is hit by it. If it did, it would also knock the shooter down.Simple,
    well established physics-equal and opposite
    forces.I believe it,but virtually everyone I tell it to disputes it.
    2.My take-a-way is that bigger bullets make bigger holes, and cause greater and quicker blood loss,but incapacitation may take some time. CNS hits bring instant incapacitation,
    with virtually any caliber.

I believe that,typically,a .45 will do more and quicker damage than a 9mm. I can't see how this would not be true. Others read the same post and say, "I was worried that 9mm was underpowered,but after reading this post,I no longer worry about this."

What up? I read,"bigger bullets,bigger holes,
    quicker blood loss." Do 9mm shooters think that they will always get CNS hits?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  7. locke_n_load

locke_n_load Well-Known

Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    No, but we typically have more rounds to try for those CNS hits, and damage. Assume you have 100% accuracy - who would have more general damage - 11 rounds 9mm HP, or 7 rounds .45 HP. I read somewhere that in general, in a gunfight, the winner is usually the one with the most ammo. I'll try and find the link when I get a chance.

EDIT: And woah! Holy Thread Resurrection Batman!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  8. Mreed911

Mreed911 TGT Addict

Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    You're talking about less than 1/10th of an inch difference, give or take, between projectile sizes. Unless you get a CNS hit, hit the heart, the aorta or vena cava, you're probably not making a definitive, stopping hit.

I deal with way too many shooting victims to know how many survive wounds - even central wounds - thanks to the recovery mechanisms of the body and the ability of surgeons.

9. Tony2

Tony2 Active Member

Jun 9, 2013
    Magnolia
    Sounds to me that you think all 45 shooters make CNS hits. These discussions crack me up. Most opinions come based on a perfect world. Guess what it isn't. To many variables. There are ways to cut down the variables but not eliminate all them. will a 45 make a bigger hole maybe not if a 9mm is moving faster, maybe not if you missed, maybe not if bullet selection is wrong, maybe not if you got shot first (with a 9MM lol ). In any case if this was a bait question I fell for it. Kinda reminds me of hunting whitetails with a 7mag

10. majormadmax

majormadmax TGT Addict

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    People act like somehow they are more accurate with a 9mm than a .45; ain't nothing farther from the truth!

A 1987 FBI ballistic wounding report stated that all things being equal, the advantage will always be with the larger caliber round...

That same report also stated that the most "lethal" round is the .22, as it accounts for more deaths than all other calibers combined. However, how many people use it for self-defense? Not many that I know!

Me, I go with the bullet that makes the biggest hole, and I plan to use as many of them that I have at my disposal. 'Nuff said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.