Texas SOT

Wow! I knew Carter's Country was bad, but didnt realize it was THAT BAD!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BG1960

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Unincorporated East Harris County
    I have stopped in at the Katy location a couple times when walking off a Goode Company meal. NOTHING the staff there has done has ever made me feel like they they wanted to sell anything to a hairy fat guy in an HD t-shirt. My IMPRESSION is that you need to walk in wearing Italian Loafers, Lands End, or some other I'm a Rich Sportsman Guye shit to get their help.
    Hurley's Gold

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    EDIT: I decided to remove my post because I did a quick search and there have been so many Carter-bashing threads, here and elsewhere, that I decided piling on is just unseemly.

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I've been a customer at the Pasadena store for many years and can say the the deals are fair. Some items are priced better than others but, in general, it's fair.

I only ran afoul of them once. Just after I retired, they had no help and were so busy, the guys were about to drop. They asked me to fill out an application as I've been into rifles, pistols, shotguns and reloading for many decades.

So here I go.................................... filling out the application with a current CHL and fresh out of working for the Texas Dept Of Criminal Justice (TDCJ). To say my background is clean is an understatement and it has been checked by the FBI twice, as well.

(Sidebar, here....I don't know why or how that clean record happened, but it did. There is not even a parking ticket on my record. It is absolutely clean. The big guy was watching out for me.)

Then I got to the polygraph page. I needed to sign a pledge that I would submit to a pre-employment polygraph AND agree to random polygraph tests at any time. I asked about that and it seems that Carter's good friend worked for him and stole some stuff so Carter requires that of all employees, now.

I told them what I thought about their polygraph policy, tore up the application and told them to shove the job. All that for a part time, job with no benefits. That was the beginning and the end of my association with Carters.

Flash

Last edited:

kenpoace

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Does any one else see only one side to this conversation?
    Something tells me there is more backstory here.

I see this kind of thing all the time ... people claim to have been "ripped off" when all that occurred is a buyer or seller backed out, the price was too high at the most convenient outlet or some similar instance.

Maybe I'm skewed, but to me "ripped off" means I have given some one something of value and got nothing in return.

because it was all one sided conversation. All I asked them was to see if they price matched and I gave them the links where it was over 100.00 cheaper. Then that where I got all the nonstop emails and I responded the one above about be ethical not to rip off buyers

We went there cuz my friend had a gift card for 25.00 hopefully he would be able to use it with this deal.

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    So you asked for a price match and they said no and then sent 3 separate email without anymore contact from you where they were jumping all over you? You then imply, heck you told them, they were ripping off their customers because, what? they wouldn't give you a deal. Heck you should be shown the metaphorical door. Their prices are a bit high tho once in a while they have a good deal. They do target hunters more than any other segment of the gun owners. So? They have nice high quality stores where they pay people real wage and that costs. Personally I think they are dragging behind the times and but unless I'm a share holder it's not really my problem. I make my buying choices and I don't bitch because people wont do what I think they should. Basically this gives be a worse impression of the op than Carters.
    Now if I saw the whole conversation I guess it might change my mind but.....

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Houston
    I used to work for CC back in the day at the Treaschwig store. The staff was always courteous to the customers and every single one of us knew our stuff. Sorry for your bad experience. I will say that yes they are somewhat higher than other LGS but this is America and your welcome to take your business and your cash wherever you see fit.

Dredens

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Sealy
    I was never really a fan of Carter's to begin with, although it certainly feels like there is quite the mild-to-moderate overreaction to the situation.

tXfactor

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2013
    Spring TX
    because it was all one sided conversation. All I asked them was to see if they price matched and I gave them the links where it was over 100.00 cheaper. Then that where I got all the nonstop emails and I responded the one above about be ethical not to rip off buyers

We went there cuz my friend had a gift card for 25.00 hopefully he would be able to use it with this deal.

There's the answer right there...

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    I was never really a fan of Carter's to begin with, although it certainly feels like there is quite the mild-to-moderate overreaction to the situation.

I tend to agree, especially with "new membe"r postings. Kudos to everyone's opinions, I have enjoyed reading some of 'em.

I just hate to see one sided bashing. We, ourselves, have witnessed people calling us "aholes" on the internet for silly stuff such as now we're requiring ordering 4 or more 1 lb jugs on certian powders to ship because it costs us TONS of time and money to ship powder. Never mind the fact we don't gouge on price. I don't enjoy vendor bashing posts, in general.

Dredens

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Sealy
    I tend to agree, especially with "new membe"r postings. Kudos to everyone's opinions, I have enjoyed reading some of 'em.

I just hate to see one sided bashing. We, ourselves, have witnessed people calling us "aholes" on the internet for silly stuff such as now we're requiring ordering 4 or more 1 lb jugs on certian powders to ship because it costs us TONS of time and money to ship powder. Never mind the fact we don't gouge on price. I don't enjoy vendor bashing posts, in general.

I'd like to think that most things in the world could be settled with at least some semblance of mutual respect and courtesy. This seems to be quite the isolated incident as opposed to an established pattern of behavior, so vendor-bashing is definitely not the way to go in my eyes.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Only been in there 2-3 times. After lunch at good co.

We ran them through the ringer salesway. They actually impressed me with their customer service and knowledge. And I'm a picky a hole when it comes to what is describe as adequate customer service.

The stuff we looked at, where decently priced. If they'd had the gun I wanted I would have picked it up.

Maybe it was just that one guy, maybe they knew we had money on our pockets. I dunno.

hard eight

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2013
    Richardson
    I appreciate the info on CC. If I'm ever in the area I now know to wear the foofoo loafers and drive the Bentley. Is that still safe in Pasadena?

Sent from my ME172V using Tapatalk

jcbush

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2014
    San Antonio
    Fun when folks are flushed out who they really are like that.

Carters country is a hunter focused fuddy duddy place where folks with more money than brains go and I don't see them changing.

Do you have any idea who tried to ban Gun shows in Houston? (Bill Carter)

Do you have any idea who was voluntarily working with the DPS reporting off book gun purchases of individuals placing them under scrutiny?

Do you have any idea who charged more at their ranges when they saw a "Tactical Rifle"?

Do you have any idea who had employees asking LEOs to disarm in their store when they walked in?

I really could go on, those are all I remember off the cuff.

Wow..thanks for the heads up. :mad:

Larry P243

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2014
    Lake Leon near Eastland,Tx.
    I have not been in a Carters Country store in over 30 yrs. Since the first time word got around about them trying to ban gun shows in the Houston area, and will not go there any time in the future. Guess I hold a grudge a little LONGER than most

Top Bottom