Gun Zone Deals

Wow! I knew Carter's Country was bad, but didnt realize it was THAT BAD!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    EDIT: I decided to remove my post because I did a quick search and there have been so many Carter-bashing threads, here and elsewhere, that I decided piling on is just unseemly.

But your previous post, which wasn't edited, asks people to pile on?

I've had my fair share of bad experiences with Carter's over the last 20+ years, but several favorable ones as well. "Bad" stories about Carter's have been exhaustively spewed over the Net ad nauseum. The problem I have here is that, as has been pointed out, the OP's story is one-sided to the point that it's totally irrelevant and shows no real basis for criticism of Carter's. He sounds more like an entitlement whiner to me.
    Venture Surplus ad

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    But your previous post, which wasn't edited, asks people to pile on?
    Yep. That wasn't nice of me. I realized it and tried to limit the extent to which I was willing to publicly be a jerk. The older post had been up so long that there had been intervening posts so I figured there was no point in removing it. But I killed off the newer post within a few minutes.

The problem I have here is that, as has been pointed out, the OP's story is one-sided to the point that it's totally irrelevant and shows no real basis for criticism of Carter's. He sounds more like an entitlement whiner to me.
    The reason the OP got such mileage, initially, is that the story, as full of holes as it may or may not be, is so consistent with so many experiences so many of us have had with Carter's. However, I find the criticism of it that has been expressed to be reasonable and decided to bow out since I had nothing on point to add.

I probably should have redacted everything I contributed but I didn't. Perhaps that was another bad judgment call but, at this point, my attitude is that what's done is done.

Last edited:

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Remember back when they refused to carry Glocks and told everybody that Glocks were unsafe plastic trash? They persisted in that nonsense for a long, long time.

People should post up their Carter's horror stories. I'm sure there are plenty. Or do we need another thread for that?

I'll back this one up 100% - I was in the store and someone asked about a Glock and the guy behind the counter launched into a LONG winded speech about how Glocks were junk. It wasn't 6 months later that they had a whole display case full of Glocks. Another store told me that Carters was trying to get Glock to give them preferential pricing and that's the real reason they weren't carrying them.

It's hard to avoid going there because they are the biggest dealers around and one of the very few that still has reloading components. But I really, really try not to shop there, as they have pissed me off on a number of occasions. It's not just pricing either. They did a 'bait 'n switch' on me where they advertised a particular shotgun, but produced a lower quality model in the store. I don't know of another gun dealer with as much bad attitude as Carters.

SOliver

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 10, 2012
    Spring
    Most hilarious thing I ever heard from Carter's: "I'm sorry sir, you can't shoot more than one AR here." Shit you not, they turned me away from the range because I had a whole TWO ARs that day. They specifically said if it was an AR and a bolt action, it would be different. Haven't shot there since.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I'll back this one up 100% - I was in the store and someone asked about a Glock and the guy behind the counter launched into a LONG winded speech about how Glocks were junk. It wasn't 6 months later that they had a whole display case full of Glocks. Another store told me that Carters was trying to get Glock to give them preferential pricing and that's the real reason they weren't carrying them.

Half the world thought the same thing about Glocks (that they were junk). LOL

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    I've only been to the store on Hwy 59 a few times. I mainly go to the Pasadena store. Like some here have mentioned, their prices are high, but I have bought a couple of firearms from them in the past. Usually on the sales they have during their Free Finance week. Plus, all of last year, that was the only place I could find .22 ammo at a fair price, considering most of the gun shows were selling it for $70(or higher) per brick. the people are always friendly. Just my $.02.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    They aren't my favorite place a lot of the folks talk to you like youre stupid and obviously don't know much about guns.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    talked to another shooter, he said carter's does not allow you to pickup your own brass.

When Ive been Ive picked up mine and all the folks around me who saw me and said I could have theirs with no issues the older heavy set guy with buzzed hair and glasses watches you like youre a moron though lol

tXfactor

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2013
    Spring TX
    Lol @ them trying to deny you picking up your own brass. As far as I'm concerned, the brass is MINE if I bought it and brought it with me.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Brass catcher. Yeah it'll cause a few jams, but you're bench shooting

sent from the bathroom

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I like being able to shoot up all the steel crud ( which for awhile was all you could find) and not having to pick the stuff up. And I always pick up brass at brass only ranges. Not giving anything to those lazy F##ks. If they want to recycle they can sort the stuff themselves. If I can say nothing else for CC, they don't care what I do with the shells.

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    talked to another shooter, he said carter's does not allow you to pickup your own brass.

They are not concerned about the brass it's the trying to get others brass and bugging them, the going into lanes to get the brass, it's not the brass it's the collecting. At least that is how one range guy told me when I was asking about some guy they were having an issue with.

Top Bottom