• ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I think I was given my first .22 at about 6, and was hunting with my single shot .410.
    Still have both.
    I killed my first deer at 8.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I remember lusting after that stuff in the catalogs, but we couldn't afford it.

But, I did get a Daisy RR at 6; and a Remington bolt action .22 at 9.

Actually bagged my share of doves for the pot with the RR (stood under a low hanging tree limb, and picked them off with the BB gun as they landed on the electric line to roost above).

Before the PC take offense ... it was anything that would put meat on the table in those days, when food was still being rationed after WWII.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Heck, I was shooting a .22 rifle before I ever owned a bb gun.
    Not me.
    first gun c1947.jpg

Attachments

• first gun c1947.jpg
      first gun c1947.jpg
      12.8 KB · Views: 146

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County

Actually bagged my share of doves for the pot with the RR (stood under a low hanging tree limb, and picked them off with the BB gun as they landed on the electric line to roost above).

Before the PC take offense ... it was anything that would put meat on the table in those days, when food was still being rationed after WWII.

I hope there's none of them on here. (PC's)

Inspector43

Everything I Own Is Paid For
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas

Each of us boys got a 12 ga. when we turned 10. My older brother and I got Winchester Model 12's. My little brother got a double barrel 12 ga. We put them across the handlebars of our bicycles and headed out hunting. Like you said, anything to help put food on the table. Nobody ever said a word about 3 boys riding across town with shotguns over their handlebars. We weren't the only ones. Of course, we grew up with unsecured guns propped up next to the fireplace.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Yep, I grew up with a glass front gun case which was never locked, and neither was the front door.
    The cheaper guns were kept in it, the more valuable ones were in a secret room with the entrance from an upstairs bedroom.

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    Pony Boy cap pistol with matching holster was the only way to go. You could fan that hammer and make that puppy smoke!

Z8K1qPnl.jpg

Attachments

• Z8K1qPnl.jpg
      Z8K1qPnl.jpg
      44 KB · Views: 129

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Each of us boys got a 12 ga. when we turned 10. My older brother and I got Winchester Model 12's. My little brother got a double barrel 12 ga. We put them across the handlebars of our bicycles and headed out hunting. Like you said, anything to help put food on the table. Nobody ever said a word about 3 boys riding across town with shotguns over their handlebars. We weren't the only ones. Of course, we grew up with unsecured guns propped up next to the fireplace.

Somewhere on here is a recollection/anecdote about me riding my buckskin mare, Nancy Hanks, to school during dove season, carrying my game bag and 20ga Remington Model 11 so I could go straight to hunting when the bell rang.

Try that today ...

Inspector43

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    Somewhere on here is a recollection/anecdote about me riding my buckskin mare, Nancy Hanks, to school during dove season, carrying my game bag and 20ga Remington Model 11 so I could go straight to hunting when the bell rang.

Try that today ...
    Those were good times. Our high school was at the far edge of our town. Most boys who had cars also had a shotgun in the trunk or back seat, me included. In 20 minutes we could be hunting.

Today - a few years back my granddaughter got in big trouble because someone reported that she had shotgun shells in her car. Yes she did. She had been hunting the weekend before and inadvertently left a few shells under the seat.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Those were good times. Our high school was at the far edge of our town. Most boys who had cars also had a shotgun in the trunk or back seat, me included. In 20 minutes we could be hunting.

Today - a few years back my granddaughter got in big trouble because someone reported that she had shotgun shells in her car. Yes she did. She had been hunting the weekend before and inadvertently left a few shells under the seat.

Ain't that a crying shame!?
    Reinforces my feeling here lately that I've lived too damned long ...

Inspector43

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    Ain't that a crying shame!?
    Reinforces my feeling here lately that I've lived too damned long ...
    Yes it does. I take comfort in the fact that my granddaughter is a successful business woman that feels more comfortable with a rifle in her arms than a bouquet of flowers. Dating doctors and lawyers that have never been outside the city limits just doesn't work for her.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I still remember when photographers used to go into neighborhoods with a pony, children's cowboy attire and toy guns making money taking pictures. The kids would line up waiting to be next.

Of course, those were the days you could go to Disneyland and come home looking like Davy Crockett, toy flintlock and all.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    I had a Cisco Kid cappistol set. Two guns and a gun bet with holsters. Also ha a shirt like his. Some where there is a pic of me sitting on Cisco's lap and we were both "ln costume."

My younger brother sat on
    Poncho's lap, cried and peed all over Poncho. Poncho picked my brother up, looked at Cisco and said that famous line from the show. "Ahh Cisco." Which got "Ahh Poncho," in reply.

Top Bottom