• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Ive been to the NT in Australia before. Myself and a few other Marines went with some of the europeans who worked in the chow hall out to some hot springs in the middle of nowhere

We went swimming out there for awhile. THe Corporal and me decided to walk down the side of the stream. About a mile down there was a pack of crocodiles just hanging out.

Australia is a crazy place, especially the NT.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Hunted feral water buffalo in Arnhem Land for six months back in the early 60's, mostly on horseback. We were supplying US companies with the meat for pet food. A croc is not something you want to mess with.

If I had the choice I'd face a feral water buffalo on foot before a crocodile in a bilabong ... damn things can outrun a horse for a short distance and there is no escape.

Reminds of that TV idiot that was always tweaking the nose of dangerous critters, until it he did one too many times. Stupidity has a short shelf life.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Hunted feral water buffalo in Arnhem Land for six months back in the early 60's, mostly on horseback. We were supplying US companies with the meat for pet food. A croc is not something you want to mess with.

If I had the choice I'd face a feral water buffalo on foot before a crocodile in a bilabong ... damn things can outrun a horse for a short distance and there is no escape.

Reminds of that TV idiot that was always tweaking the nose of dangerous critters, until it he did one too many times. Stupidity has a short shelf life.

Now that would have been interesting.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Now that would have been interesting.
    Oh, it was ... ;)
    Think I posted it before, but worked for a Greek who ran an abattoir outside of Darwin, NT and supplied feral water buffalo meat to the US for canned dog food. He had transitioned from camels, to horses (which he still used), to Land Rovers and trailers to pack the meat out. I was hired onto the crew because I was raised around horses and could shoot (supplied with an Enfield 303) from either horseback, or from a Land Rover, and accurately. Wandered over a good bit of Arnhem Land and the Cape York Peninsula in the process. And that's Fair dinkum! ;) Didn't take that many photos, but here's a shot of some of the horses and a co-worker tracker/skinner ... scraggly bunch, but we didn't carry feed so we all had to graze for ourselves, just like these Aborigines did ... the Cape York Peninsula is a very unforgiving place for even the wary.

Brumbys.jpg Aboriginies.jpg

Top Bottom