• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I was looking at some different calibers for AR's and started looking at some super short magnum rounds. Anyone have any experience with them? The only uppers I can find selling them are Olympic arms.

I figure the ammo is kind of expensive, but I reload. I'm not in the market right now, but I might want to venture out of the 5.56 nato. 5.56 seems to be killing these Texas deer pretty well, but it never hurts to have a little bigger caliber.

Any real benefit to getting a WSSM in something like 243 or 25 vs 6.8spc or 6.5 grendel? Its seems there is a lot more variety in 6.8spc with a bit lower cost.

Just throwing ideas around.

Part of me things that if I really want to any more power than a .223, it would probably be just cheaper and easier to get a bolt gun. The other part of me. . . . .
    Guns International

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    A friend had a 243 wssm and it was neat but a pain to load for. You really need small base dies and have make sure you push the shoulder back. Also mags are special as well, he has since switched to 6x45 and likes it alot.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I have a couple of friends who shoot wssm's and they love them. Yeah, the ammo is expensive. (Neither of them reload) They seem to be extremely accurate rounds. I'm not easily impressed - in fact I think 90% of "new" ammo is nothing more than hype - but these rounds do well.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I'd probably have to go for the 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel. The 30 Remington has some potential also. I am not a big fan of those short stubby cases, but I haven't shot any of them either.

Top Bottom