• ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Among those who have spent considerable time with Marlins new and old, anything made after 2009 is widely considered junk. For about $40 more than that, a man can buy a Marlin in find used condition, from an era when they were made with pride and care.
    They got bought out about then right? I have heard the quality immediately suffered.
    Lynx Defense

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    They got bought out about then right? I have heard the quality immediately suffered.

Somewhere around then, yes. The very short version is that the marlin people were craftsmen, and not very good businessmen (hence they were not making a profit). The Remington people were just the opposite: could count beans all day long, but the corners they made the craftsmen cut reduced quality significantly.

I watched a 1951 Marlin sell for $375 this morning.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I've got a 336 that looked just like the one you sold. Vintage '72ish. I'm super happy with its fit and finish and have heard the exact same stories about the newer ones. I think I'll take it to the next SA meet and torture Greg some more.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Hey y'all, looking for a good 30-30 lever action rifle.....holler if ya got one you want to get rid of OR, if you have knowledge of a place (web sight) that has good pricing on new lever action rifles.

5K Firearms in Tolar, Texas has a JM stamped Marlin 336 with a Bushnell 3x9 and sling marked at $450.

Gary, the owner, said it had a few light handling marks that would buff and was very clean.
    I bought the Rossi pictured above from Gary, along with dozens of other guns and accessories.

He is a gunsmith first and has a small shop at his house. He also attends many of the local, smaller shows.
    But it's all on the side as he has a regular job.

Call his shop and chat with him, leave a message and he will call back.
    I think you will be impressed. Solid, honest and fair.
    254-835-5001

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    You really shoulda bought the one I sold a month ago. It was a cherry. Every American needs a .30-30.
    1950–1980 were the best years. I see them for sale all the time. If you send me your email, I'll forward links as I come across them.
    I know, I know....I'm S L O W.
    PM comming

5K Firearms in Tolar, Texas has a JM stamped Marlin 336 with a Bushnell 3x9 and sling marked at $450.
    Gary, the owner, said it had a few light handling marks that would buff and was very clean.
    I bought the Rossi pictured above from Gary, along with dozens of other guns and accessories.
    He is a gunsmith first and has a small shop at his house. He also attends many of the local, smaller shows.
    But it's all on the side as he has a regular job.
    Call his shop and chat with him, leave a message and he will call back.
    I think you will be impressed. Solid, honest and fair.
    254-835-5001
    Cool deal, thanks

Now he wishes he'd fired my rossi at Dietz.
    heh!
    haaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa shaddap! :roflfunny:

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    Woo Hoo just got one with Jm stamped on the barrel 30-30 in mint condition. That's 1 less out there now for ya. :banana:

image_zps92e7c908.jpg

image_zpsd46c9a5e.jpg

image_zps1b02225e.jpg

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    After the fact a Buddy told me about it and that he had it listed on Gun Broker. I got it for 450$ and the darn thing looks to have barely if ever been fired. He bought it and never fired it. I had been looking for a clean big loop for a while. Cause those regular loops kill my hand... The funny part is... they are now making this same gun as a repro. they have REM stamped on their barrels so beware...

Last edited:

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    After the fact a Buddy told me about it and that he had it listed on Gun Broker. I got it for 450$ and the darn thing looks to have barely if ever been fired. He bought it and never fired it. I had been looking for a clean big loop for a while. Cause those regular loops kill my hand... The funny part is... they are now making this same gun as a repro. they have REP stamped on their barrels so beware...
    yeah, that's a heck of a find Bigun. I really like it, looks like it come off the production line. Congrats again on a beauty.

ml1209

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    Definitely get one of the older ones by Marlin. I love lever-action rifles, and found a Marlin 30TK in a pawn shop for $299.

Top Bottom