DK Firearms

WTB A Handgun (Looking at all) >400 (Dallas)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timeless

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Austin
    +1 for Texas Gun Trader. You have a better chance finding someone locally on there than you do on here I believe.

I'm fairly certain that there is nothing illegal in giving your mom money and having her buy the gun for you. I did a lot of research before purchasing my pistol because I'm in a similar position as you being under 21 however I'm away from home so I don't have the option of having my mom purchase the gun for me. You can give her the money before you even get to the shop and then have her buy it for you when you guys get there. It's not the dealers business with what you do in your personal life and no body is going to question your mom buying you or herself a hand gun. This may be your best bet because I had some trouble getting people to sell to me ftf in a private transaction since I'm under 21 and the typical Texan isn't aware that those under 21 can purchase a hand gun through a private transaction. I was able to find somebody but it took a little bit of time and patience.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I know how it feels to be in your position. They'll let us join the army and risk our lives in combat but we can't purchase hand guns or drink alcohol...Land of the free.
    Texas SOT

Rob_USF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    +1 for Texas Gun Trader. You have a better chance finding someone locally on there than you do on here I believe.

I'm fairly certain that there is nothing illegal in giving your mom money and having her buy the gun for you. I did a lot of research before purchasing my pistol because I'm in a similar position as you being under 21 however I'm away from home so I don't have the option of having my mom purchase the gun for me. You can give her the money before you even get to the shop and then have her buy it for you when you guys get there. It's not the dealers business with what you do in your personal life and no body is going to question your mom buying you or herself a hand gun. This may be your best bet because I had some trouble getting people to sell to me ftf in a private transaction since I'm under 21 and the typical Texan isn't aware that those under 21 can purchase a hand gun through a private transaction. I was able to find somebody but it took a little bit of time and patience.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I know how it feels to be in your position. They'll let us join the army and risk our lives in combat but we can't purchase hand guns or drink alcohol...Land of the free.
    Yeah, I've been talking to people around here and that is apparently straw purchasing and I don't want to do that. I'm still hoping to find a seller today.

Seriously guys, if you have anything at all you're willing to sell post it lol. I don't have a lot of free time, I work full time every day.

wralyn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    San Antonio, TX
    2 reasons. Since its my money Im pretty sure it would be straw buying, from the things I discussed with other users on here. I wouldn't want any chance of anything like that getting pinned on us. If she goes up there, chooses out a gun and I give her money and buy it it'd probably be suspicious. 2, buying from an FFL seems over complicated. I'd rather just meet someone and buy something quick and easy that I know she'll know how to shoot. If its a complicated gun but within my price range ill just have to take her to the range a few times and teach her. Overall I think it'll just be easier to find on here, and less risky.

I'm gathering that you are WAY overthinking the situation and giving TMI to people that really don't need it. If you are 18, have the money, and want a gun, and all applicable state laws say that you are eligible to buy a handgun in a private transaction (non-FFL), then you don't have to explain anything. You shouldn't overpay for anything and you should wait to find the firearm that you want at the price you think is reasonable. All the additional information you are providing makes it sound like you are trying to do something shady..."Hey, man...I accidentally left my license at home. If I give you some money can you go in and get me a six-pack?"

If you want to buy your mom a handgun for home defense and you have $400 to spend, give her the money and help her pick one out. LGS/Academy...who cares. She'll have a shiny new handgun under a full warranty. The paperwork is pretty simple and the process isn't complicated. If she decides to give it to you down the road, then so be it.

Also, if she doesn't shoot much, you might consider something a little longer than a snub. If it's not going to be concealed, a 4"-6" barrel gives the intruder a little something extra to ponder before the hammer falls and could give your mom a little more accuracy when things get uncomfortable. A good used Rossi/Taurus will do just fine and keep the cost down.

Rob_USF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    I'm gathering that you are WAY overthinking the situation and giving TMI to people that really don't need it. If you are 18, have the money, and want a gun, and all applicable state laws say that you are eligible to buy a handgun in a private transaction (non-FFL), then you don't have to explain anything. You shouldn't overpay for anything and you should wait to find the firearm that you want at the price you think is reasonable. All the additional information you are providing makes it sound like you are trying to do something shady..."Hey, man...I accidentally left my license at home. If I give you some money can you go in and get me a six-pack?"

If you want to buy your mom a handgun for home defense and you have $400 to spend, give her the money and help her pick one out. LGS/Academy...who cares. She'll have a shiny new handgun under a full warranty. The paperwork is pretty simple and the process isn't complicated. If she decides to give it to you down the road, then so be it.

Also, if she doesn't shoot much, you might consider something a little longer than a snub. If it's not going to be concealed, a 4"-6" barrel gives the intruder a little something extra to ponder before the hammer falls and could give your mom a little more accuracy when things get uncomfortable. A good used Rossi/Taurus will do just fine and keep the cost down.

The snub part makes sense. Maybe I'll look for something a little longer, or just go buy a shotgun from an FFL.

The extra info is for the people weary to sell to an 18 year old. And maybe a bit of me just being long winded and talking a lot lol.

From what I heard a lot of sellers don't even know 18 year olds can own guns. At this point I'm thinking a shotgun is my best bet. Ah well. Threads still open for now.

I don't think I'm over thinking the situation as some of the people in my other thread made me look like a crimina for even considering letting her buy me a gun. That was initially what I was going to do until like 6 or 7 users on here told me not to.

Im not actually buying her a gun. I'm buying my first gun, but I would prefer it be one she could easily use.

Last edited:

Pinlifter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    DFW
    Re: WTB A Handgun (Looking at all) >400 (Dallas)

I'm fairly certain that there is nothing illegal in giving your mom money and having her buy the gun for you.

Incorrect. This is a violation of federal law.

To the OP:
    It is straw purchasing, but it would be difficult to prove. Your mom could be in some bad stuff.

I am also in the market for a handgun and I had considered that route because I am new to Texas, and DPS was giving me issues about changing my drivers license.

I realized quickly that whoever did you the favor would be in violation of the law.

I wish you luck on your purchase as I am mulling over An M&P vs. An M11-A1.

Decisions decisions!

Maybe I can talk the wife in to both ;)

Rob_USF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    I'd prefer the M11-A1 but both is always better. There's always room for another gun :P Unfortunatly for me I just bought a big shiny new safe with nothing in it!

Pinlifter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    DFW
    Re: WTB A Handgun (Looking at all) >400 (Dallas)

I'd prefer the M11-A1 but both is always better. There's always room for another gun :P Unfortunatly for me I just bought a big shiny new safe with nothing in it!

As did I... the wife's final "safety" hurdle. Biometric pistol safe.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    I would buy a Taurus before I would buy a Hi Point. There are several sub-$400 models that are excellent firearms and backed by an excellent warranty. I'd recommend the PT-111 or PT-709 Slim if you want a 9mm (cheaper ammo) or if you need something pocket-size then the TCP (PT-738) is also a great choice.

Prices on these pistols have been holding steady despite the recent craziness, you can even find them in gun shops below four hundred. I saw several at the Powderhorn here in SA last Friday in that price range, and also saw them at the SAXET show last weekend.

Unfortunately, none of mine are for sale; but I do own all the Taurus pistols mentioned and have had nothing but outstanding results with them! Reliable, accurate, short reset triggers (at least on all the semi-autos I have), their "strike two" capability (if the round fails to fire, all you have to do is pull the trigger try and fire it a second time. The pistol does not need to be cycled) and lastly, inexpensive but not cheaply made!

If I were on a budget, I would have no problem in carrying a modern Taurus pistol.

Good luck! M2

Rob_USF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Thanks for the tips Major and Skip! Like I said though, it's whatever is posted on here for sale.

bcannon87

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2011
    East Texas
    WTB A Handgun (Looking at all) >400 (Dallas)

2 reasons. Since its my money Im pretty sure it would be straw buying, from the things I discussed with other users on here. I wouldn't want any chance of anything like that getting pinned on us. If she goes up there, chooses out a gun and I give her money and buy it it'd probably be suspicious. 2, buying from an FFL seems over complicated. I'd rather just meet someone and buy something quick and easy that I know she'll know how to shoot. If its a complicated gun but within my price range ill just have to take her to the range a few times and teach her. Overall I think it'll just be easier to find on here, and less risky.

I thought you were wanting to buy it for you mom thats why i went with the suggestion i did:
    Like I said in my last WTB, it's for my mom since shes home alone while all the men are working so I would prefer something very basic.

Sorry I forgot to add about you giving her the money. And the way I suggested it would be considered a straw purchase. There is nothing illegal about her giving it to you down the road. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom