Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I will regret this, but I have:

2 boxes 10mm
    2 boxes 357 Magnum
    3 boxes 9mm
    3 boxes 45ACP
    2 boxes 308 Winchester

$40 per box (JesseCJC average) sale price. GULFPILOT gets first crack.

warrjsmith

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    DFW Republik of Texas
    Ammo

I have two 147 gr. boxes of 9mm black talons, that I would trade for some .45 black talons if no one buys it from RENEGADE or I will just buy it if the original poster doesn't. Thank You.

Cyfer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2008
    TEXAS
    Stupid Question: So, what's the big deal with the original Black Talons? I was at the gun show this weekend and ran into a box of 9mm, original. My buddy was telling me to pick it up just because, but it was $50 for a box of 25 i think. Someone school me on this ammo...

Oh, and sorry for the off topic question.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    It's high, but it's available if you really want it.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=205309

They changed it a little (no more black coating) and called it Ranger SXT I think it is. Winchester calls it LE Ammo but anyone can buy it and it's available now.

This has a pretty good description of it. It's popular for 2 reasons: 1) It's very effective defense ammo 2) anti-gun nut jobs started a myth about it being armor piercing and called it "Cop Killer" ammo. All because of the black coating that was to protect the barrel and had no effect on piercing anything!

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Did you ever sell the ammo? If you still have .45 let me know. I'm local so you won't have to deal with hazardous material shipping. ;)

Yes, I still have it all. I could not find a way to ship it legally without the cost being prohibitive.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Stupid Question: So, what's the big deal with the original Black Talons?

Not stupid. When the jacket of the Black Talon expands, the "talons" (those triangular points of the jacket that are wrapped down into the hollowpoint cavity) remain in a forward-facing position which causes great damage to flesh and organs and also cause the bullet to change direction once inside a human body, moving from organ to organ to ensure a brutal death.

:D

Well, at least that's the description the media got ahold of, which eventually led to Winchester agreeing to pull them off the market.

malladus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Houston-Dallas
    Funny thing is the Lawman rounds that they market now are slightly redsigned. They still do the petal thing, but the bullet has better expansion characteristics and is more like to open when it hits then the originals.

I got about 100 rounds of both .45 and 9mm in the orignal and about 400 - 500 rounds of each in assorted generations of the reissued stuff from a AL DPS friend who is armorer for his post. Gave it to me when they did there last annual ammo locker cleanout.

Malladus

Cyfer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2008
    TEXAS
    I was at the Pasadena Gun Show this weekend and ended up picking up a box of the Black Talon's in 9mm for $50. Only box there and it was calling me. :-P

Top Bottom