• ...and so much more!
  • scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Need or want?
    If it's a need, sounds like you got some troubles and might want to get the po-po involved...just saying.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    What do you need to do with the pistol, that could be a factor in whether or no a hi point is what you really need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bertizzie89

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    san antonio, texas
    this. $100 more and you could get a used Ruger P95 or a Sigma
    yea much better option would be to spend a little more for that the better options, personally have owned a sigma, never failed me. granted a hi-point more than likely will not explode like most may say, but the parts and materials used are probably not the greatest and a simple drop or hot load could damage some parts. i guess if its your only option its better than nothing??

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    yea much better option would be to spend a little more for that the better options, personally have owned a sigma, never failed me. granted a hi-point more than likely will not explode like most may say, but the parts and materials used are probably not the greatest and a simple drop or hot load could damage some parts. i guess if its your only option its better than nothing??

Go to youtube and look at the Ultimate Hi-point test.

nitro

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    houston
    I was watching youtube and saw the vid of Human vs Hi-point and all of the others and never saw one fail, everyone liked them. I have been going to the Houston shows and Pasadena show yesterday. Everything (other well none manufacturers) else I have been looking at are way to expensive. Thats why I thought maybe I could find a Hi-Point for 100 and another better pistol for 150. My friend bought a revolver that I recomended to her but it is too heavy for her purse so we are going to get a small carry gun for her. It is a EAA 38 spl 4" that we are going to sell. Sorry not to be more descriptive on first post. Thanks

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    They may function, but the balance, weight, trigger, and ergonomics are terrible IMO.

I've never fired a hi point pistol because I couldn't get past those problems. Also, why have a gun that size in something like 9mm and limit yourself with a single stack magazine.

Save another $100-$150 and get a huge upgrade.

nitro

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    houston
    Thanks for the advice. I was thinking getting a cheapy for protection until we can save enough for a quality pistol. There are shooting ranges all around me and the G friend just got CHL. The shows are so overwhelming. If you have a little time can you clue me in on balance, weight, trigger, and ergonomics, or give me a good site to study it. Thanks

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Thanks for the advice. I was thinking getting a cheapy for protection until we can save enough for a quality pistol. There are shooting ranges all around me and the G friend just got CHL. The shows are so overwhelming. If you have a little time can you clue me in on balance, weight, trigger, and ergonomics, or give me a good site to study it. Thanks
    You've answered your own question. Don't go to show planning to BUY, go planning to learn. Try to get someone knowledgeable to join you. Handle as many guns as possible. Write down notes if needed as soon as you put a gun down. When all is said and done, try to borrow/rent the gun(s) before buying.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

That can be a little to put in to words but lets try the easy ones first.

Weight: hi points are heavy because of the materials they use.

Balance: Most of the weight is in the slide so they're top heavy. Common with polymers but hi points seem to be some of the most unbalanced IMO.

Trigger: Most would prefer a shorter trigger that's smooth and consistent with out a long reset. A heavy rough trigger magnifies anticipation and jerking and makes a consistent trigger pull much more difficult and degrading the shooters accuracy.

Ergonomics: A gun with good ergonomics will fit your hand better and be much closer to your natural point of aim. A lower bore axis helps to mange the recoil and get back on target quickly. Grip angle, shape, and texture are all factors and each shooter will have a different preference.

This is really just scratching the surface but because everyone has a different preference it's tough to say what is good or bad,
    The glock grip angle doesn't work for me and is great for others. Don't know anyone who enjoys the feel of a hi point.

Best advise is to see first hand. Hold some different guns and if at all possible, shoot some different guns. You will quickly see the hi points short comings.

Got a range day coming up in gatesville, try to make it out maybe get a chance for more perspective.

nitro

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    houston
    That helps alot, The trigger is a sticking point for me. I was wondering to get one with long trigger pull no safety or one with safety and short trigger pull. Seems to me like shorter trigger pull would be better for accuracy. Also didnt realize that most of the weight was in slide because I have never had a SA apart. So I guess polymer is the way to go for balance. I am really liking the fixed barrel idea, but most of them are way out of my price range, Like the Desert Eagle that would be a dream gun.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Never held or shot a Hi-Point but have heard enough about them to know I don't plan to. I would suggest just saving up a little while longer to get a quality gun. Why waste the $150 on a gun you plan to replace later? It won't have much of a resale value so you'll be stuck with a big paperweight.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    That helps alot, The trigger is a sticking point for me. I was wondering to get one with long trigger pull no safety or one with safety and short trigger pull. Seems to me like shorter trigger pull would be better for accuracy. Also didnt realize that most of the weight was in slide because I have never had a SA apart. So I guess polymer is the way to go for balance. I am really liking the fixed barrel idea, but most of them are way out of my price range, Like the Desert Eagle that would be a dream gun.

Shoot some, then decide what you like.

Would you buy a car without driving it and comparing it to the competition.

Figure out what is important to you, then find a balance of the features you want and the budget you have.

nitro

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    houston
    Yes, I know you are right about the Hi Point but need protection now. Crime in Houston is really getting bad, plus I just love to target practice. Nothing better than to burn a box of fifty up. I have been studying for about 3 mos now been to 4 gun shows and many gun rentals, but am still learning. The 38 is fun but I like to have a SA also.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Yes, I know you are right about the Hi Point but need protection now. Crime in Houston is really getting bad, plus I just love to target practice. Nothing better than to burn a box of fifty up. I have been studying for about 3 mos now been to 4 gun shows and many gun rentals, but am still learning. The 38 is fun but I like to have a SA also.
    Depending on what caliber you are shooting, a couple of boxes of fifty is that extra $100 that can get you a better gun. A bit of an exaggeration I know but its amazing how fast you can save up another couple hundred dollars if you cut back on a few things for awhile. Don't eat out as much, don't buy that coffee one morning, go to one less movie...you get the point.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    You have a 38 right, there's your protection. The hi point would probably require ALOT of practice before you could hit something with any kind of stress. I won't go into reliability because that is a subject of debate.

Protect your self with the 38 and save for a descent handgun. Doesn't have to be top of the line. Look into a sigma or SR9, police trade in Glock, etc. don't have to spend a fortune for a descent gun, just have to look for the deals and try before you buy.

Top Bottom