• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sprale

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    I want to build a 10/22, so I won't end up needing most of the factory parts and don't want to buy new if I don't have to. Does anyone have a decent used one they'd part with or know any local shops that may have inexpensive used ones?
    Target Sports

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    Hmmm...if you get any responses and have too many choices, please let me know. I would like to get another 10/22. My daughter wants one now that she has shot my son's.

sprale

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    I have liked the few I have shot. It just seems like anyone who buys one holds on to it. I don't see many used for sale, odd considering how many have been produced.

If I can't find one used, I may just grab a new one and use the wood stock for a Charger project I have kicking around in my head:

1235147229_D4fZC-O.jpg

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Technically you may be creating an SBR if you take a "rifle" and cut down the stock and barrel . Even replacing the barrel with a "charger" barrel and stock probably still qualifies it as an SBR. I am sure TX1911 or sigfiend could tell you for sure. As far as the availability of used 10/22s, most people hoard the pre-2008s because before then they still used an aluminum trigger housing instead of the newer plastic one. I have 2 - pre 2008s and one 08'. They all shoot well but I do prefer the aluminum ones to the latter. You are probably better off just buying the charger model on an auction site. - Texmex

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    If he's talking about making a Charger from a rifle, I too think he would be in deep doo doo. But if he already has a Charger and just replaces the stock with one like he has shown in the picture, I believe he would be within the law. I'm not an attorney but that is my two bits.

I personally like the factory Charger stock over the modified rifle stock.

sprale

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    No, I am definitely not contemplating building a SBR from a 10/22. I'm definitely aware of and intend on maintaining legality with both projects. I just want to use the wood stock from a 10/22 in place of the factory Charger stock. I just don't like it, personal preference. I figure building my first 10/22 would be best from a complete rifle since I have no experience with rifles. I just hate throwing anything away if I don't have to. I'll keep an eye on the auction sites too.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    No, I am definitely not contemplating building a SBR from a 10/22. I'm definitely aware of and intend on maintaining legality with both projects. I just want to use the wood stock from a 10/22 in place of the factory Charger stock. I just don't like it, personal preference. I figure building my first 10/22 would be best from a complete rifle since I have no experience with rifles. I just hate throwing anything away if I don't have to. I'll keep an eye on the auction sites too.

Hit up Rimfire Central ... you can usually find the wood stocks on there for cheap.

Top Bottom