27b1eae30292ad93af5ffc2e3825dc0e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Man, this thread went off the tracks in a hurry!

I'm glad my VW memory wasn't just my imagination. When you get old, that happens from time to time.

Years ago I was trying to find a cheap car just to drive to work. Some car salesman at a dealership I went to told me that he had a car with low miles and he could make me a heck of a deal, but I probably wouldn't like it. I said Show me the car! He did. It was a Yugo. None of the plastic in it was able to withstand heat, and a couple of Houston summers had melted EVERYTHING in the interior. The steering wheel was teardrop shaped. The insides of the doors drooped and sagged at least an inch. How is it mechanically? Just as bad, admitted the salesman.

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    Man, this thread went off the tracks in a hurry!

I'm glad my VW memory wasn't just my imagination. When you get old, that happens from time to time.

Years ago I was trying to find a cheap car just to drive to work. Some car salesman at a dealership I went to told me that he had a car with low miles and he could make me a heck of a deal, but I probably wouldn't like it. I said Show me the car! He did. It was a Yugo. None of the plastic in it was able to withstand heat, and a couple of Houston summers had melted EVERYTHING in the interior. The steering wheel was teardrop shaped. The insides of the doors drooped and sagged at least an inch. How is it mechanically? Just as bad, admitted the salesman.

There was a guy in AUstin in the mid-90s who campaigned a Yugo in SCCA autocross...for several years. It was the biggest exercise in self-flagellation I've ever witnessed. One of his standard quips was that stripping the car for racing was really just a process of removing the melted interior parts.

Top Bottom