• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CachookinLA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2012
    Louisiana
    Here is my 40mm Bofors shell from 1942. Post your WWII and Korean artifacts, gents and ladies!

280m5uq.jpg

wmklxt.jpg

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Japanese hand-crank air-raid siren. Unfortunately, improper storage has caused sufficient rust so that it no longer works. When I was a kid, I played with this thing all the time and it was incredibly loud.

Air_Raid1.jpg

Air_Raid2.jpg

stx kid

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    laredo
    that siren looks like it could use a little love. I volunteer to do the labor provided I get to drive arround town whilst cranking that thing to see if traffic moves. :D

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I volunteer to do the labor...
    It's actually not too far gone and could be restored. If anyone knows someone who does restoration work of that sort, I've got the siren and a rusty Hollywood reloading press that I'd pay to have restored. Just drop me a PM.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    There are a lot out there these days in estate sales. So many of our vets from that era are dying and their heirs don't have an interest in their saved military gear you can sometimes get lucky. Check the sales in older established neighborhoods and you might come across some gems.

Generally don't ask if they have any guns, just ask if there were vets in the household and if their uniforms are available. Amazing what you might find in the old footlockers along with the clothing. A lot of their kids never look inside, or don't understand what is in there when they do.

drummingchevy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2009
    Houston
    Fantastic stuff. It's even better if it's something that your relatives brought back from the war. A few weeks ago I found my grandfather's journal from when he was in Europe. He was there during the time that Vesuvius erupted, which made for some great entries. What's really amazing is how good of shape the booklet is in- you wouldn't believe that it's almost 70 years old.

stx kid

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    laredo
    It's actually not too far gone and could be restored. If anyone knows someone who does restoration work of that sort, I've got the siren and a rusty Hollywood reloading press that I'd pay to have restored. Just drop me a PM.

it doesn't look that bad, it may just be rusted shut.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    It's even better if it's something that your relatives brought back...
    The siren was brought back from WWII by my dad. That's part of what makes it special to me. Of course, when he was alive, I often castigated him: "You couldn't have brought back a Nambu or an Arisaka or something?" He got a kick out of that.

Of course, he came out of the Philippine jungle, at six feet tall, weighing 112 pounds. He wasn't in much condition to lug souvenirs home. I'm actually surprised he brought this.

jbcalhoun

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Midland, TX.

My old Hollywood Press is my main shop reloading press. It was my Dad's and works like a charm. Tough old press.

Brad

Dragwn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2012
    Plano
    I like firing the Arisaka my dad still has, even taught my wife how to shoot a bolt action rifle with it.

Dragwn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2012
    Plano
    Stx kid, I hope he means the shell, Norma still makes 7.7mm rounds for the rifle although I really need to hook up with someone who can help me do reloads.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom