xd-mods

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by chad10, Apr 30, 2009.

1. chad10

chad10 New Member

Apr 30, 2009
    I have a xd 45 what kind of mods can I do to it bigger magazines, lazer, lights, etc or should I just get a glock and who makes the lazer that is in the end off the barrel and how much are thay

2. juwaba98

juwaba98 Well-Known

May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    Lasermax makes IGR (internal guide rod) lasers that replace the factory guide rod. external lasers/lights will mount up to the rail of an XD just like on a glock. I'm not sure about higher capacity mags, but google is your friend.

3. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The guide rod laser is from Lasermax:

Laser for Springfield XD Laser Sight Laser XD

Just fyi, they have two different versions, one for the 4" XD45 and one for the 5", so if you get one just make sure it's the right one.

There is also a grip mounted laser from Crimson Trace that is worth considering:

Crimson Trace Lasergrips - LG-445 For Springfield Armory XD 45

Also, for all sorts of other mods like extended magazine base plates to add more rounds, flared mag wells to make inserting mags easier, different sights, etc here is a good website:

PISTOLGEAR | XD HOLSTER, MAGAZINES AND MORE

Also, for flashlights, check out the Streamlight TLR-1. It is very bright and a nice light overall plus it's very inexpensive. Here's the best prices I've found:

http://www.botachtactical.com/sttrtali.html
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduc...ce=froogle&utm_medium=free&utm_campaign=19779

4. GM.Chief

GM.Chief Well-Known

Mar 16, 2009
    Man, I kinda want that guiderod laser...lol...but according to the site it won't work for my XD 40...I have the new style barrel lug...I hate finding cool things that I can't get...lol

5. Skip

Skip TGT Addict

Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
  6. texas_teacher

texas_teacher Well-Known

Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    I've got a XD9SC and I was wondering about drop in barrels... Is it only the XD40SC that can accept drop in barrels such as the 357SIG or the 9mm or would my XD9SC accommodate a 357SIG drop in barrel and a 40S&W drop in?

7. GM.Chief

GM.Chief Well-Known

Mar 16, 2009
    From what I've researched, it seems like you are only supposed to go down in barrel size, not up. So my XD40 can go down to 9mm, but 9mm isn't supposed to up to 40. I don't really understand why as from my understanding the frame on the 9 and the 40 is the same. I found a lot of info as far as barrel conversion on xdtalk.com

8. texas_teacher

texas_teacher Well-Known

Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    I couldn't find anything about going up in size but my thinking is kind of the same as yours that why not because they are the same frames... Hmmm I mean I'm thinking about it and the other thing I was thinking about was like a 4" 9mm barrel into that 3" frame... just something that I thought might look interesting and be fun to take to the range...

9. juwaba98

juwaba98 Well-Known

May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    It usually has to do with slide specs. The pressures of a .40 and .357sig are greater than the 9mm. I know in Sig P229's you actually have to change the lockblock out to go up in caliber, but if you have the .40/.357sig you only need a barrel to go down to 9mm. It's rarely anything to do with the frame, but everything to do with the slide internals. I don't know the specifics on the XD's, but the simple logic is that while they build their 9mm's to handle anything you can get in 9mm, they don't build them for .40/.357sig. But in the beefier .40/.357sig, 9mm is no concern due to lower pressures. Sometimes Recoil Springs are also needed, but not always. YMMV

10. GM.Chief

GM.Chief Well-Known

Mar 16, 2009
    According to XDtalk, I only need the barrel, the spring assembly has the same part number for 9mm and 40. Some people said they were able to use their 40 mags to chamber the 9mm as well, but most said they had to "modify" it slightly...which means I would buy some 9mm mags as well