• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chad10

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    I have a xd 45 what kind of mods can I do to it bigger magazines, lazer, lights, etc or should I just get a glock and who makes the lazer that is in the end off the barrel and how much are thay
    Capitol Armory ad

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    Lasermax makes IGR (internal guide rod) lasers that replace the factory guide rod. external lasers/lights will mount up to the rail of an XD just like on a glock. I'm not sure about higher capacity mags, but google is your friend.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The guide rod laser is from Lasermax:

Laser for Springfield XD Laser Sight Laser XD

Just fyi, they have two different versions, one for the 4" XD45 and one for the 5", so if you get one just make sure it's the right one.

There is also a grip mounted laser from Crimson Trace that is worth considering:

Crimson Trace Lasergrips - LG-445 For Springfield Armory XD 45

Also, for all sorts of other mods like extended magazine base plates to add more rounds, flared mag wells to make inserting mags easier, different sights, etc here is a good website:

PISTOLGEAR | XD HOLSTER, MAGAZINES AND MORE

Also, for flashlights, check out the Streamlight TLR-1. It is very bright and a nice light overall plus it's very inexpensive. Here's the best prices I've found:

http://www.botachtactical.com/sttrtali.html
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduc...ce=froogle&utm_medium=free&utm_campaign=19779

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Man, I kinda want that guiderod laser...lol...but according to the site it won't work for my XD 40...I have the new style barrel lug...I hate finding cool things that I can't get...lol

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    I've got a XD9SC and I was wondering about drop in barrels... Is it only the XD40SC that can accept drop in barrels such as the 357SIG or the 9mm or would my XD9SC accommodate a 357SIG drop in barrel and a 40S&W drop in?

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    From what I've researched, it seems like you are only supposed to go down in barrel size, not up. So my XD40 can go down to 9mm, but 9mm isn't supposed to up to 40. I don't really understand why as from my understanding the frame on the 9 and the 40 is the same. I found a lot of info as far as barrel conversion on xdtalk.com

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    From what I've researched, it seems like you are only supposed to go down in barrel size, not up. So my XD40 can go down to 9mm, but 9mm isn't supposed to up to 40. I don't really understand why as from my understanding the frame on the 9 and the 40 is the same. I found a lot of info as far as barrel conversion on xdtalk.com

I couldn't find anything about going up in size but my thinking is kind of the same as yours that why not because they are the same frames... Hmmm I mean I'm thinking about it and the other thing I was thinking about was like a 4" 9mm barrel into that 3" frame... just something that I thought might look interesting and be fun to take to the range...

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    It usually has to do with slide specs. The pressures of a .40 and .357sig are greater than the 9mm. I know in Sig P229's you actually have to change the lockblock out to go up in caliber, but if you have the .40/.357sig you only need a barrel to go down to 9mm. It's rarely anything to do with the frame, but everything to do with the slide internals. I don't know the specifics on the XD's, but the simple logic is that while they build their 9mm's to handle anything you can get in 9mm, they don't build them for .40/.357sig. But in the beefier .40/.357sig, 9mm is no concern due to lower pressures. Sometimes Recoil Springs are also needed, but not always. YMMV

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    According to XDtalk, I only need the barrel, the spring assembly has the same part number for 9mm and 40. Some people said they were able to use their 40 mags to chamber the 9mm as well, but most said they had to "modify" it slightly...which means I would buy some 9mm mags as well

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    That sounds right, and I would trust them before me. Since you have the .40 it's easy, and the springs sometimes are different and sometimes not. I would however buy the 9mm mags since they fit with no mods.

My previous post was mostly directed at the "going the other way" thoughts.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Thanks all... I love the feel of the sub-compact XD and so I'm probably going to pass my 9 over to my lady and then pick up a 40 because surprisingly enough trying to find ammo as I've been driving around that 357 sig seems to be in random supply but it is available... I also think it would be awesome to have one compact versatile concealable machine that chambers 357 sig, 40S&W and 9mm whatever is available and I can get my hands on... and picking up extra barrels for only $150 a pop is way cheaper than buying an entirely new piece... I mean why should I when I've already fallen in love with the XDSC...

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    txjustin...the drop in barrel is all you need to change calibers, but you'll need mags unless you want to modify them...the 40 mag will not reliably feed 9mm rounds...i found several sites and reports of issues with this and only one person who said they had no trouble at all, because they modified the magazine....lol

txjustin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Rosenberg
    txjustin...the drop in barrel is all you need to change calibers, but you'll need mags unless you want to modify them...the 40 mag will not reliably feed 9mm rounds...i found several sites and reports of issues with this and only one person who said they had no trouble at all, because they modified the magazine....lol

I'm sorry, I was just referring to the barrel. Yes, you will need mags unless you want to modify the 40 mags.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea

Chief do you know if by chance you could put a 4" compact barrel for a 9 or a 40 in a 3" sub-compact frame and slide?

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Chief do you know if by chance you could put a 4" compact barrel for a 9 or a 40 in a 3" sub-compact frame and slide?

Yes, you can. EFK firedragon and Storm Lake both have extended and/or threaded barrels. Just pick the gun you have and add the length. Choose threaded or unthreaded. However, I will make a quick side note. The new XD's and XDM's have an updated barrel lug, so make sure that your guide rod will work with it.

Springfield Armory has released a new barrel lug configuration on their existing 4" and 5" XD line of handguns which mirrors the XDM. The diagram shown below indicates the differences in the two barrel lug designs that are currently available.
    Barrel_Lug_Comparison.jpg

http://www.efkfiredragon.com/products.php?cat=1475
    Here's the EFK link:
    [url]http://www.efkfiredragon.com/products.php?cat=1475[/URL] Just select extend 1/2-3/4" for an extra $20.

Here's for Storm Lake:
    [url]http://www.stormlakebarrel.com/barrels[/URL] Again, select your model, caliber, ports (yes/no), threaded (type 1, 2, or none), and the desired length.

Hope this helps. There is a thread on XDtalk about this as well. [url]http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-45acp-discussion-room/117663-tactical-5-barrel-4-service-compact-frame.html[/URL]

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    thanks chief... the EFK had some pretty good products... I've got one of the newer ones with the crescent so I've just got to be on the lookout for that... I like the option of just getting an extension on the compact barrels but as far as your understanding I can go to the complete size up as long as the new compact barrel instead of the sub compact has that same crescent right?

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    That's my understanding from what I've read, but you may want to talk to someone who knows more than me...my jedi (read google) powers are not the greatest. Personally, I think I would go with the extended barrel made for the Sub compact...If you want to go a full size up I would go with Storm Lake as they give you three options:1) 3.01" standard, 3.71 , and the 106mm which is equal to 4.17" while at the same time being made for the sub-compact. Atleast that way you know it's designed for your gun. The 106mm barrel is what you want. Umm...why do you want to go a full size, anyway?

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    I don't know just a weird look I guess... I liked Storm Lake and may go with that extended barrel with the dual ports... I think it'd make a very nice look for an already stylish piece

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom