• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    If you are finding "numerous stories of how the xd sucks," then you need to get off the Glock Boi forums!

The vast majority of those criticizing the XD line haven't shot one, much less owned one.

I've never understood the hatred, but I do understand why Glock Bois don't like them as in comparison, their Austrian-designed pistols look antiquated.

Having bought my first XD well over 17 years ago, I can attest that after sending thousands of rounds down the barrel of several different variations of that line, I have yet to have a malfunction that wasn't directly ammo related.

In fact, I have had friends with other handguns have issues with a particular round of ammo not firing, and when I drop it in one of my XD pistols, it fires!

And I have never had an issue with the grip safety, but I also shoot 1911s so they don't bother me as they do a few others...

The stories I am finding are anecdotes and not people trashing the platform for the hell of it
    Venture Surplus ad

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Late to the party on this but here's my take:

I've owned a bunch of OG XD's - before they felt the need to go full retard and scrawl "GRIP ZONE" on the grip, because they either were targetting the mentally deficient, or because they're mentally deficient, but I digress.

I've owned all of the original sizes - my very first pistol purchase in fact, was a 4" XD 9 on my 21st birthday. I've hence owned a handful of them in both blued and stainless, plus a 5 inch "Tactical" and a subcompact. The XD 9 subcompact shoots better than a Glock 26, about as good as an original M&P compact (now called subcompact in 2.0 flavor) - but the deal breaker that stops me from buying an XD anymore is the grip safety.

As @zackmars points out - the grip safety on the XD design locks the gun up. Unless it is depressed, the slide *can not* be pulled rearward. If you don't have a perfect grip on the gun, you cannot pull the trigger, nor can you operate the slide. Fine for a range gun. NOT fine for a carry gun or duty weapon. Shit happens and if you get hurt - or you have bloody / wet hands and can't get a perfect grip - your gun may not function and you could literally die or someone else can die because of it. Its an issue that could be fixed easily by making the grip safety longer, and adding a memory bump like most 1911's come with anymore. Or it can be deleted. The Hellcat / Hellcat Pro are essentially the most modern iteration of the design, scaled down and they deleted the grip safety. Springfield is selling every Hellcat they can import.

The XD's are easy shooters for me - and they do have a lot of ergonomic features, especially for the era they came from. I've never personally experienced a malfunction I didn't cause with one. I heard all the horror stories of early generation guns though - broken strikers, dead triggers, and broken internals on the grip safety - with the striker breaking being the most common issue. Early XD"s also had a trash finish that rusted if you looked at it wrong or breathed on it. My favorite is the stainless slide for aesthetics and function.

A few police departments issued them in the early 2000's - everyone wanted to try something other than Glock - but most ditched them. My first trip thru the security industry saw a few dudes carrying them - in modified Glock holsters, because Safariland never made one back then for an XD - usually they were in Bianchi or Uncle Mikes nylon - or Uncle Mikes "kydex" injection molded stuff. The Glock 21 holster would fit an XD9, because the XD's are as fat as a Glock .45ACP.

These days, none of the security monkies I've worked with or around have been toting Croation plastic - Glocks, M&P's, Walthers, and Sigs are pretty much what every seems to go for - undoubtedly because that's all Safariland makes duty holsters for anymore. I can't even get a proper light bearing, optic ready holster for my Beretta 92X from them, or even a level 3 light bearing only holster for it.

Besides the half dozen or so XD's I've owned, I've owned about 2 dozen Glocks, and 8 or so M&P's - plus a bunch of other guns. For duty use I've floated back to the M&P 2.0 with a manual safety. If I could get a Safariland 6000 series holster made for the Walther PDP, that's what I'd be running, but alas, they don't make 6000 series holsters yet for that gun. I wouldn't run an XD unless I had no other option, and my employer mandated them - and I'd be lodging formal protests about it not being fit for duty use.

For a competition gun they're probably fantastic - but the aftermarket for XD's is also minimal, it never really took off. The aftermarket for Canik TP9 variants is far wider. The only common thing you can get for XD's is sights - only because they use Sig Sauer dovetails.

At the end of the day though - its all down to personal preference. Y'all have yours, I have mine, and unless you're trying to force me to shoot your stuff, its no big deal.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Late to the party on this but here's my take:

I've owned a bunch of OG XD's - before they felt the need to go full retard and scrawl "GRIP ZONE" on the grip, because they either were targetting the mentally deficient, or because they're mentally deficient, but I digress.

I've owned all of the original sizes - my very first pistol purchase in fact, was a 4" XD 9 on my 21st birthday. I've hence owned a handful of them in both blued and stainless, plus a 5 inch "Tactical" and a subcompact. The XD 9 subcompact shoots better than a Glock 26, about as good as an original M&P compact (now called subcompact in 2.0 flavor) - but the deal breaker that stops me from buying an XD anymore is the grip safety.

As @zackmars points out - the grip safety on the XD design locks the gun up. Unless it is depressed, the slide *can not* be pulled rearward. If you don't have a perfect grip on the gun, you cannot pull the trigger, nor can you operate the slide. Fine for a range gun. NOT fine for a carry gun or duty weapon. Shit happens and if you get hurt - or you have bloody / wet hands and can't get a perfect grip - your gun may not function and you could literally die or someone else can die because of it. Its an issue that could be fixed easily by making the grip safety longer, and adding a memory bump like most 1911's come with anymore. Or it can be deleted. The Hellcat / Hellcat Pro are essentially the most modern iteration of the design, scaled down and they deleted the grip safety. Springfield is selling every Hellcat they can import.

The XD's are easy shooters for me - and they do have a lot of ergonomic features, especially for the era they came from. I've never personally experienced a malfunction I didn't cause with one. I heard all the horror stories of early generation guns though - broken strikers, dead triggers, and broken internals on the grip safety - with the striker breaking being the most common issue. Early XD"s also had a trash finish that rusted if you looked at it wrong or breathed on it. My favorite is the stainless slide for aesthetics and function.

A few police departments issued them in the early 2000's - everyone wanted to try something other than Glock - but most ditched them. My first trip thru the security industry saw a few dudes carrying them - in modified Glock holsters, because Safariland never made one back then for an XD - usually they were in Bianchi or Uncle Mikes nylon - or Uncle Mikes "kydex" injection molded stuff. The Glock 21 holster would fit an XD9, because the XD's are as fat as a Glock .45ACP.

These days, none of the security monkies I've worked with or around have been toting Croation plastic - Glocks, M&P's, Walthers, and Sigs are pretty much what every seems to go for - undoubtedly because that's all Safariland makes duty holsters for anymore. I can't even get a proper light bearing, optic ready holster for my Beretta 92X from them, or even a level 3 light bearing only holster for it.

Besides the half dozen or so XD's I've owned, I've owned about 2 dozen Glocks, and 8 or so M&P's - plus a bunch of other guns. For duty use I've floated back to the M&P 2.0 with a manual safety. If I could get a Safariland 6000 series holster made for the Walther PDP, that's what I'd be running, but alas, they don't make 6000 series holsters yet for that gun. I wouldn't run an XD unless I had no other option, and my employer mandated them - and I'd be lodging formal protests about it not being fit for duty use.

For a competition gun they're probably fantastic - but the aftermarket for XD's is also minimal, it never really took off. The aftermarket for Canik TP9 variants is far wider. The only common thing you can get for XD's is sights - only because they use Sig Sauer dovetails.

At the end of the day though - its all down to personal preference. Y'all have yours, I have mine, and unless you're trying to force me to shoot your stuff, its no big deal.
    I appreciate you being objective, that brings value to the thread

SinCityVogel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2022
    Fort Worth
    Take the Glock Cock out of your mouth when talking, so you don't mumble as much!

And S&W has pretty much knocked Glock out of the LE market with better deals for most large agencies.
    I agree S&W is a great pistol and they have come a long way. It only took them 20 years to do it. And my wiener's are none of you business

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Agree the 2.0 is better, I was expecting something more like the Walther PPQ because a friend told me he'd compared them. He's wrong, the Walther is better, the M&P is comparable to the XDm I think.
    The PPQ starts with a a nice trigger, but it doesn't take long to develop noticeable grit

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    The M&P Competitor trigger is unreal! Wish they put that in the 2.0s. Its probably the best striker fired trigger I have felt

Isn't the Competitor the new Glock like bladed trigger with slightly lighter springs? Is the trigger bar / sear geometry different?

The latest - the gen 2.5 if you will - with the Glock style trigger shoe vs the ghetto Sigma hinged trigger shoe - is the best stock trigger a vanilla M&P has had yet. Could be a hair lighter and cleaner still. Very Glock-like. The PDP stock trigger blows every M&P trigger out of the water, and the upgraded PDP trigger is even better.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Isn't the Competitor the new Glock like bladed trigger with slightly lighter springs? Is the trigger bar / sear geometry different?

The latest - the gen 2.5 if you will - with the Glock style trigger shoe vs the ghetto Sigma hinged trigger shoe - is the best stock trigger a vanilla M&P has had yet. Could be a hair lighter and cleaner still. Very Glock-like. The PDP stock trigger blows every M&P trigger out of the water, and the upgraded PDP trigger is even better.
    The competitor trigger shits on the pdp trigger, updated or not. Bold claim from me, a walther fan, you need to try dry firing one. Its so good

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom