Join TexasGunTalk

XDM conversion, 10mm to 40 S&W and 357 Sig

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Maverick44, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Maverick44

Maverick44 Certified All-American Gun Nut

Yep, hand loads with hand cast bullets that I powder coated myself. I would highly recommend a Lee factory crimp die. Most places I looked for reloading info recommend one for 357 Sig, and I have a few guns in other calibers that will not feed ammo unless it has been ran through a Lee FCD. They are a cheap investment ($20) for reliable ammo.

It's best to think of 357 Sig as a tiny rifle cartridge, not a pistol cartridge. It uses the same kind of crimp you would use on a 5.56, it headspaces off of the shoulder like most rifles, and you have to lube the cases before sizing because Dillon is the only company making carbide sizing dies for 357 Sig that I know of, and they aren't cheap. You're stuck with steel dies. It's a little picky about bullet selection. Most round nose 9mm bullets aren't going to feed well if at all. They're too long. Truncated cones and hollow points are best, though they can be a bit too long too. It's best to do research before you buy new bullets to load in your 357 Sig.

So far, I like it. It's a little snappy, but certainly a fun round to load and shoot.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  2. Maverick44

I finally got a chance to load some rounds and shoot some more. I've put 250 rounds through it, so a full review is coming soon. I'll link it to this thread when I post it.

3. Maverick44