Texas SOT

XDm trigger upgrade--> Springer Precision OR PRP?!?!?!?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    Looking to upgrade my Springfield XDm .40S&W 3.8 trigger. After running through a pistol course this past Sunday with Scott Brock (dude is a bad ass!) I found that my trigger, while OK, could be much better and help out with accuracy. The two trigger upgrades that continuously come up when searched are, Springer Precision & Powder River Precision(PRP). Does anyone have any experience with either one? Good, Bad, Ugly??? I don't have any trigger time with either one. Right now I am leaning towards the PRP. As always, any and all info will be greatly appreciated.
    Guns International

Wryknow

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2009
    Austin
    I put PRP trigger in mine about 6 months ago and it's fantastic. HUGE improvement. Light, crip break, with no over travel. Haven't had any light stike problems either (knock on wood.) I do recommend either sending the gun to them or having the trigger done by a gunsmith whi is familiar with XD replacement triggers. It is not as easy as it looks and you can cause a very unsafe situation if you F it up.

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    I put PRP trigger in mine about 6 months ago and it's fantastic. HUGE improvement. Light, crip break, with no over travel. Haven't had any light stike problems either (knock on wood.) I do recommend either sending the gun to them or having the trigger done by a gunsmith whi is familiar with XD replacement triggers. It is not as easy as it looks and you can cause a very unsafe situation if you F it up.
    which upgrade from PRP did you go with? Where did you get it from? Thanks for yer reply Bigun...

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    I have ran both, in an Xd9, not an xdm. I think I have tried a couple different ones. I liked the "gunsmith fit"one with the trigger bar the best. It was the hardest to get right, but the feel is better for me. The one with the different fulcrum on the trigger just doesn't feel natural to me for some reason. It could be the trigger material.
    When I upgraded my trigger, I had over 10k rounds through the pistol. I had got to the point that my .24 split time was as good as I could get. I had been stuck there for months. I did the kit with the sear, the trigger bar, and the connector. The first time I took it out I was doing .20 splits. I had to take another thousandth off the bar when it got cold because it wouldn't reset. I can get down to .17 splits with a combination of the right load and springs. Any faster and the accuracy loss overwhelms the increased speed.

Either will work. It is a personal preference to which one is better. Neither one match the trigger in my infinity, but at the price difference, I wouldn't expect it. Sending it out and having it done will net you a better trigger, but are you good enough now to take full advantage of it? Will you train to the point that you can? If not, do it yourself and spend the money saved, on range time, or ammo, or more training.

leper

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    thanks for the info & the insight Leper, I feel this bit of an upgrade will help/allow me to train & better myself on the points that I need to be better at. If nothing else it will take an "excuse" away (not that I would make them). Thanks again.

Last edited:

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    Wanted to add that if you buy the trigger bar kit and reassemble the pistol before you are completely finished with the fitting part of the job, you will end up with a paperweight, or have to send it back to Springfield. I spent a day filing and polishing and testing without the slide on to make sure everything moved and acted properly.

important note below.

If you do this yourself, and after hundreds of time of pulling the trigger in the testing stage, do not put a loaded mag in it until you are at the firing line at the range. You may be too tempted to feel that nice trigger one more time, and out of recent habit, you may just forget to check the chamber, or forget you put a loaded mag in it.

A smart man learns from his mistakes, a wise man learns from the mistakes of others. You be the wise man because I was the smart one.

Wryknow

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2009
    Austin
    I bought the PRP Competition trigger from their on-line store and got it installed at Blackjack's gunsmithing in Jollyville. (He did a fantastic job but it wasn't inexpensive. It may have been a little cheaper to pay to send the gun to PRP and have them do the free install but I try to support local businesses when I can.) I also replaced the extractor with their stainless version and added a stainless steel guide rod.

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    I bought the PRP Competition trigger from their on-line store and got it installed at Blackjack's gunsmithing in Jollyville. (He did a fantastic job but it wasn't inexpensive. It may have been a little cheaper to pay to send the gun to PRP and have them do the free install but I try to support local businesses when I can.) I also replaced the extractor with their stainless version and added a stainless steel guide rod.
    10-4, sounds good Bigun, thanks for the info

Thanks to all that replied with their good insight & info, it is very much appreciated....:usflag:

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom