• ...and so much more!
  • TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I've asked about this in the past and am revisiting it again.

My vision is slowly getting worse so I am wanting to stay ahead of the curve and start to practice with better sights than the factory Glock sights on my G30 and G21. I have looked hard at the XS Big Dot because it appears to be a very quick sight (for me). Although it is not intended for exact precision it seems to me that they would be very good at targets under 25 yards which is what I am looking for.

I found this pic that shows the standard and big dot side by side.

hgtarget_081005b.jpg

The big issue with others seems to be that the "Big Dot" will block out the target at distant targets. I cannot seem to find any pictures that show this happening.

Anyone using the Big Dot on a handgun that can comment on the size and your preference?

Thanks!
    DK Firearms

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Go for the XS big dot. More importantly you need to be able to get a razor sharp focus on your front sight. The rear sight and your target can be blurry and the target can be completely obscured. As long as the center of that front sight is dead on you will get good hits. Dot the "I". Can you do this with factory Glock sights? Sure. Big dots are a touch faster though. Invest in glasses if you need them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Found decent video that does show the sights in action and he does explain them well enough.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Anyone using the Big Dot on a handgun that can comment on the size and your preference?

I have 2 9mm Shields - one with factory sights and one with XS Big Dot sights. I prefer the Big Dot. Self defense CC handguns aren't made for distance shots anyway.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    An RMR on a G30 or G21 is more versatile than any lollipop sight. For distances where big dots would shine no sights are needed and at distances where sights are preferred they're too big. Suppressor height sights and a co witnessed RMR work very well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tsugsr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    I've been wanting to switch over to these for a while, just short on funds.

Having never even seen these sites previously, I picked up a glock 17 and fired a Police Qualifying Course of fire more accurately faster than I had with standard sights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CZPistol

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2015
    123 Easy St.
    An RMR on a G30 or G21 is more versatile than any lollipop sight. For distances where big dots would shine no sights are needed and at distances where sights are preferred they're too big. Suppressor height sights and a co witnessed RMR work very well.

Jon, I want to try the lollipop on my G17 for competing in our club's casual steel matches where the targets (12" and larger) are at 12-15 yards. My aging eyes have a hard time with smaller front sights, and I want to stay in the iron division. What's your opinion on my train of thought here?

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    Jon, I want to try the lollipop on my G17 for competing in our club's casual steel matches where the targets (12" and larger) are at 12-15 yards. My aging eyes have a hard time with smaller front sights, and I want to stay in the iron division. What's your opinion on my train of thought here?

I do much better with a wide rear notch and thin font sight blade than I do an over-sized front sight. Try these http://www.onesourcetactical.com/standard-height-sights.aspx#.V-rsNOs8KK0

I have a plain black set, tritium on the front set, and two straight eight patterns.

PRE-K

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 25, 2015
    Tomball
    Had a pair on a 17 and found them to be far too imprecise (obscured too much of the target... like aiming a basketball at a bb, if that makes sense).

A red dot sounds like the best option for you.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    If you don't like those look at Warren Tactical Sights. Like I said, I think a generous rear notch and thin front sight blade is the answer for seasoned eyes while maintaining precision.

Huntindoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Temple
    I see 2 different issues here. The OP who was looking for a combat/self defense weapon and CZ who brought up shooting games. Both are fine in themselves but may not be able to use the same gun, particularly if one wants to shoot in a specific category. I use my RMR'ed 17 to shoot our local steel matches in order to make me a better with the gun I carry. Large front sights don't work for me. They are still blurry if I have my contacts in and take up too much of the target.
    I would encourage anyone who is having some aging eyes to find a friend with an RMR'ed pistol and spend some time shooting it. Even better would be to take a red dot pistol class even if you rent the gun. If you are approaching the bifocal stage of life you owe it to yourself. Jon Payne can get you set up with some great training.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    As Jon said, RMR is definitely the way to go, for those that don't mind the expense.

In terms of irons, the other thing I think is worth mentioning is actual dimensions, to put things in perspective. For example, Trijicon's HD tritium sights, at least in most of the models I've seen, are typically a ~.140" wide front sight combined with a ~.180" wide rear notch. Typical aftermarket irons most people will recommend, such as many of the Warren's, Heinie, 10-8 Performance, Novak, Ameriglo, some non-HD Trijicon's, are usually going to be more like a ~.115-.125" wide front and a ~.145-.156" wide rear. Certain brands, like Dawson Precision, offer an even greater number of options. For example, I've been sticking mostly to a .115" front and .150-.156" rear on my Glocks, SIGs, etc. as I've found it to strike a really nice balance in speed and accuracy, at least for me. I just started experimenting with a Warren Sevigny solid black .115" front and .130" rear, which I previously thought would be much too narrow of a notch. I'll be curious to see if it does make it considerably easier to maintain a more acceptable wobble zone at distance.

Though, I digress, as that's in the wrong direction for the intent of this thread. Getting back on point, and where I was originally going, for eyesight issues, I'd recommend looking at a ~.156-.180" rear notch, especially if going with an XS Big Dot. Also, if you do go with a Big Dot, you might want to go with a rear that has a u-notch. Maybe it's just me but, mixing a round profile front with a square notch rear is just too many visually conflicting shapes it seems. A Trijicon HD rear with XS Big Dot front might be an interesting combo, though it would pretty much mean shelling out $150 for a full HD sight set, since you can't buy the rears separate. Might be able to find one, or at least a cheap used set on some classifieds.

Also, this might be a long shot, but yet another option. Awhile back I briefly experimented with another glock sight option that's not too well known. It's the Pro-Sights from D.R. Middlebrooks of Tacticalshooting.com. They're well made and offer a good variety of options. The fronts are .125" wide, which might be thinner than you might need. That being said, the fiber optic version has a fiber rod roughly double the size of any other Glock fiber sights (2mm dot). The rear is interesting in that it has a base with protective ears, a lot like many 3rd gen S&W auto sights, and a number of interchangeable rears are available, including standard notch, and a much steeper V notch than XS offers (could be a more optimal compromise for those that prefer the V style). I REALLY wanted to like these, as they are well built. I particularly like the engineering D.R. puts in to the little details. Stuff like the front sight screws with longer shafts for better thread engagement. In my case, I've come to the conclusion that round profile fronts or u-notch rears just don't work for my eyes, as square edges combined with round edges is just too visually confusing for me. For those that do like either of those things, I think D.R.'s sights might be something they'll like.

I don't have many pics, but here's what I do have of the Pro-Sights. One config is on a NextLevel Training SIRT pistol. The other is a G42 with a standard Glock frame size Wilson Combat Vickers rear u-notch sight (this was before they had the slightly thinner G42 size available). The Vickers rear and Pro-Sight front actually made for a really nice combo:

2014-06-24 08.36.24.jpg 2014-07-02 10.18.03.jpg 2014-01-08 22.56.40.jpg 2014-01-08 22.59.06.jpg 2014-01-08 22.59.31.jpg

CZPistol

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2015
    123 Easy St.
    If you don't like those look at Warren Tactical Sights. Like I said, I think a generous rear notch and thin front sight blade is the answer for seasoned eyes while maintaining precision.

I have similar configurations on two of my G19's (one has Vickers, the other Redback One) and they just don't cut it for me on the steel plates.

RACER X

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston
    Cz, I have a G34 w Warren sights and a g17 w RMR

though the g17 is a Gucci glock, and you may not want to handle that piece, since it would tarnish your reputation, kekeke

And I had Big dot on a shield I sold a bit back

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Travis, those Middlebrooks do look interesting, but why in the hell did he have to use a crap-ass Phillips head screw on the rear? Ugh

Right. Kind of screams, "I built these sights at Ace Hardware." ;) They're decent sights though, and well built.

Top Bottom