• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I pushed a lawn mower for 25 years while at the house in Houston. I only did it to save money, as I hate yard work.

At the new house I have already paid someone to mow the yard. He said straight up that he would only mow,no weed eating or gardening.

The guy I bought the house from is a mechanic. I needed an oil change so my truck went to his shop. At his shop I noticed a couple of riding mowers, so I asked him about them.

After we talked I’m set to buy his old Cub Cadet. He needs to replace the belts that power the blades and goop the tires. He is even going to deliver it, all for $275.00. That’s less than what 8 more cuts would cost.

The seat looks brand new and pretty comfy. It even has a drink holder.

Best thing about it is my FIL offered up his big commercial zero turn. It cost him $8K new, and at first he tried selling it to me for $5K. When they heard not no, but PHUC NO they decided to give it to me.

I never got squat from my in-laws. That includes birthdays and X-Mas. Now that they are old & decrepit I’m not going to have them feeling like I owe them.

My FIL thought we should put a trailer on their 3 acres. I explained to my wife why that would never happen. Now after being in the new house 1 month the wife tells me how butt hurt her dad was that I didn’t buy their house. Hell they are still paying for it. Ours is free & clear.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    I feel you on the yard work. I hate mowing and weed eating too. Sorry you have in-laws like that. Make me grateful for mine. Nice score on the mowers. You made the right call to stay in a bought and payed for house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    And they (riding mowers) will multi-task. I used mine yesterday to move a couple of downed oak tree limbs.
    Everyone around me has more money then me. They all have high dollar Polaris side by sides up to 6 seaters. The mechanic like all I ever met is into building up stock vehicles. Perhaps I need to think about a Race mower?

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I may be the exception to the rule, but I actually enjoy doing my yard work, Mowing, weedeating and clearing brush. I enjoy planting trees and flowers and my little vegetable garden. I find it very relaxing and rewarding.
    Next year I'm planning on some raised beds for gardening & perhaps a small greenhouse I'll give you a call Green Giant!

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    I may be the exception to the rule, but I actually enjoy doing my yard work, Mowing, weedeating and clearing brush. I enjoy planting trees and flowers and my little vegetable garden. I find it very relaxing and rewarding.
    Pics or it didn’t happen.

My dad blew the engine in my craftsman 46” riding mower in January. I’ve finally came to terms with me not getting that engine working again. I almost pulled the motor yesterday but the cost of most motors is more than a used mower.

I have 3 raised bed gardens in the back yard. Fairly big

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Pics or it didn’t happen.

My dad blew the engine in my craftsman 46” riding mower in January. I’ve finally came to terms with me not getting that engine working again. I almost pulled the motor yesterday but the cost of most motors is more than a used mower.

I have 3 raised bed gardens in the back yard. Fairly big

So far, all I have planted for the garden are two onion plants!

Replacement new small engines are really expensive. Best option, is to find one very similar, with a good engine and the rest is dog crap, buy it, and swap the engines. I have done that on occasion. But I have also swapped the good engine from a wore-out junk mower to one in much better shape than mine.

Or just buy a good used mower off Craigslist. Lots of them out there.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    So far, all I have planted for the garden are two onion plants!

Replacement new small engines are really expensive. Best option, is to find one very similar, with a good engine and the rest is dog crap, buy it, and swap the engines. I have done that on occasion. But I have also swapped the good engine from a wore-out junk mower to one in much better shape than mine.

Or just buy a good used mower off Craigslist. Lots of them out there.
    I planted blue lake and contender beans, more cilantro and 2 squash today.

I planted 2 cucumbers yesterday.

Waiting to transplant 1 more jalapeño and 2 tomatoes when my transplants are ready.

Waiting to hear back on mowers in my area. I’m trying to be outside all the time.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    When I went to work in Moscow and India I hired a guy to mow and tend everything. $40 every two weeks during the mowing season. Best $40 I have spent! Yard looks good and I feel good not being out there in 100 degree heat. Not to mention I no longer have yard equipment to store and maintain either. Been going for nearly a decade now!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I get into an almost Zen like mood when doing yard work. I find it relaxing and get a sense of personal satisfaction when it's done, and how great my yard looks.

I couldn't afford to pay someone to do the job and the amount of yard work I do around the house.

Plus, little by little, I'm clearing brush and extending the part of our acreage that I keep mowed and trimmed.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I've always done my own yard work - except when my son was living here and old enough to do at least some of it. I had some foot surgery and had to hire a mowing service. It was nice to free up some of my time, so I kept using them after the foot healed. Last Monday, I lost my job. It's ok, I can retire, but now every penny has to be watched. I've gotta dig out the mower and get back to taking care of the yard again. It's probably good exercise, but I'm not thrilled about it. I read once about a guy who spent his life as a greenskeeper for a country club and when he retired he paved over his yard and installed Astroturf. Wonder what that costs.....

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I've always done my own yard work - except when my son was living here and old enough to do at least some of it. I had some foot surgery and had to hire a mowing service. It was nice to free up some of my time, so I kept using them after the foot healed. Last Monday, I lost my job. It's ok, I can retire, but now every penny has to be watched. I've gotta dig out the mower and get back to taking care of the yard again. It's probably good exercise, but I'm not thrilled about it. I read once about a guy who spent his life as a greenskeeper for a country club and when he retired he paved over his yard and installed Astroturf. Wonder what that costs.....

A whole lot less than paying someone to mow the grass!

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Got my weed whacker back from an over haul. My big fat ass doesn't move real well, and swinging a weed whacker had to be pretty funny! Yard is starting to look white trash like.

The guy whose house I bought is a mechanic & when he worked on my truck a few weeks back I asked about some riders he had parked. Said he would sell me his old Cub Cadet once he got it running. Sure hope it's soon. One of the neighbors cut the yard 3-4 weeks ago & said $35.00. I guess I missed him last time & this time he started but left. Hope his wife didn't need a trip to the ER again. Could be he heard I'm buying a mower.

As much as I hate bothering the mechanic I'm going to need that mower. I guess he could be waiting on the drive belt for the mower deck.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Got my weed whacker back from an over haul. My big fat ass doesn't move real well, and swinging a weed whacker had to be pretty funny! Yard is starting to look white trash like.

The guy whose house I bought is a mechanic & when he worked on my truck a few weeks back I asked about some riders he had parked. Said he would sell me his old Cub Cadet once he got it running. Sure hope it's soon. One of the neighbors cut the yard 3-4 weeks ago & said $35.00. I guess I missed him last time & this time he started but left. Hope his wife didn't need a trip to the ER again. Could be he heard I'm buying a mower.

As much as I hate bothering the mechanic I'm going to need that mower. I guess he could be waiting on the drive belt for the mower deck.

You're adding new definitions of frugal!

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    Get a couple of goats.
    Sheep. A half dozen sheep for a couple-three days should do the trick. At least that is what they used on the empty lots on my street in Bavaria. Of course at our site, a shepherd, a couple of sheep dogs, and a flock, show up in the Spring to keep the grass down.

Top Bottom