• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnnyReb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    DFW area
    I inherited a bolt-action shotgun today from my grandfather who passed away recently. My mom told me that the shotgun may or may not have also been his father's as well, but she doesn't remember. I was searching on the web for info on the year it might have been manufactured, but I've been unsuccessful thus far. I was just wondering if anyone here could shed some light for me. That way I could possibly estimate if this heirloom was in fact bought by my grandfather or my great grandfather. The barrel reads:
    NEW HAVEN
    Model 490 16 GA
    2 3/4 CHAMBER 28 FULL CHOKE
    MADE BY O.F. MOSSBERG & SONS,INC.
    NORTH HAVEN,CONN., U.S.A.

I have not seen a serial number, and it has a 2 shell magazine.
    Military Camp

JohnnyReb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    DFW area
    fuzzy camera phone pic

I know the picture is not top notch, so I'm sorry about. I know the barrel says 490 on it, and I've seen magazines on a parts website for that model. [url]http://www.havlinsales.com/bolt.htm[/URL] That's all I've seen of that model number so far, but the 190 looks close to it. The 390k on that link you posted looks similar as well. It doesn't have a recoil pad or choke tubes. Interesting. Thanks for the link and info. I know my mom doesn't know for sure how long he had it for, so he could have bought it a lot more recent than we've assumed. But, I didn't even know there was bolt-action shotguns until I was told this was being handed down to me.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    It's kind of hard to find the Model 490 in the Bluebook since it also goes by the Model numbers of 390, 390K-A, and 390K-B. The 490 is a 16 gauge with a detachable box magazine mfg between 1971-1976. Value is around $150 tops.

Top Bottom