• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rjtmac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2016
    South Plains
    This particular question may have been answered directly in another thread but I have not found it. The subject was brushed on in a thread within the last week but I didn't want to ask this question in that thread and head it in another direction.

I have always wondered what constitutes "LEGALLY CONCEALED" in a vehicle. Does this mean it has to be completely covered, completely out of sight or not visible from line of sight from a window ?

I have ordered and am about to install Magna Arm magnets under the dash or along the console just above and to the right of my right leg. The gun will be readily accessible and almost completely out of sight even when I am not in the vehicle. Don't plan on leaving it in the vehicle when I am out but "Best Laid Plans" and all that. The gun will be concealed while a driver is in the car.

Any thoughts on this ? Will mounting the gun in this manner and location satisfy the definition of "LEGALLY CONCEALED" ? Any LEO's out there that can jump in ?
    Gun Zone Deals

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If it can be seen from one of the windows you are running a risk of being in plain view.

I'm not aware of a good way to mount a pistol under the dash in an accessible position that wouldn't be in plain view, but all cars are a little different.

It will also depend on who is looking and what they believe constitutes plain view.

Sent from my HAL 9000

rjtmac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2016
    South Plains
    For more insight on the issue read the discussion here, it should still be operative.

Thanks - that was very informative ... I wonder how his case turned out ?

Asking the question again, huh?
    Why did you delete it the first time?

ETA: here are several other similar options....

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...qmt=p&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_6hykn25j97_p

I felt it wasn't in the right place. I really don't remember what the original thread subject was but after posting it I just felt the question belonged somewhere else. Threads go awry easy enough when off shoot topics come up. Just felt the question there was inappropriate.

Thanks for the heads up on the options. Looked at a bunch of those over time.

From reading the thread "karlac" pointed me toward I am thinking maybe the mounting solution I had may not be the best option. Back to the "drawing" board.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    another thing to consider with a magnet. If you are in a crash that gun will go flying. If you are in a roll over that gun will be a nice size chunk of metal that may smack you in the noggin :). But I guess if you are in a roll over that might be the least of your worries.

rjtmac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2016
    South Plains
    Did that one time ... Went airborne at about 70 mph. Flipped and rolled 7 times. Witness count. Was not a fun thing.

Ended up upside down. Still in the seat belt. Had a heck of a time getting out of it. Happened down by Jacksboro in August. 106°. Luckily the electric windows still worked. Pushed the button and it rolled down, which was up and crawled out onto hot hot hot hot asphalt. Had a small cut over one eye and sore where the belt tugged on me but nothing else. Lucky to walk away. With a flying gun ... who knows. Good point !!!

The suburban was battered, beatin' and misshaped but held it's overall integrity pretty good. It was a fun time picking everything out of the vehicle after it found its final resting place. Car pocket and console both came open and some of that stuff was all the way in the back. Luckily I was by myself.

rjtmac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2016
    South Plains
    How did you get airborn? Glad you made it out ok.

The Perfect Storm of circumstances. I was traveling east on my way to McKinney and was west of Jacksboro. This was 13 years ago or so.

The highway I was traveling was under repair. Retopping with hot top. They had the road bed complete but not the shoulders. This left a 4" or more drop off from the bed to the shoulder..

I blew a right rear tire and veered pretty abruptly to the right. The right rear tire dropped of the road bed and made the shoulder followed by the right front. This sudden drop off of 4" or more sent the right rear off the shoulder on the ground. I was preoccupied with trying to get the vehicle under control when I looked up and saw the guard rail approaching at a high rate of speed. I immediately tried to get the 'burban back on the road bed but the jump up and over the road bed lip was just not letting it easily happen. I was afraid to just give it a jerk fearing I might dig the rear wheel in the pavement and roll the vehicle.

This became a no choice situation, the guard rail was right there, so jerk to the left I did. The front of the suburban cleared the guard rail and for a nano second I breathed a sigh of relief. Then boom, the 'burban caught the rail just in front of the right rear tire. The vehicle crawled the incline up the rail and I could her the support post banging as the frame passed over them. Don't remember how many bumps then the big jarring one. Next thing I knew the world was going topsy turvy more times than I could count. The lady who witnessed the whole thing said I was 10 - 15 feet in the air at one time. Banged my head a one point and things got a little fuzzy. Came to rest on the highway inside the guard rail upside down.

I never lost consciousnesses ... when things stopped spinning I was hanging upside down with the diesel engine still running. Killed the motor. Took stock of the situation as best I could. It was 106° outside so windows were up since the air conditioner was on. Door would not open. Things were a little bent out shape. Luckily when I tried to roll the window down which was up it did its thing.

Now to get out of the seat belt. This is a more difficult situation that one might discern. Adding to the problem of releasing the belt buckle is that at this time I weighed almost 600 pounds. I had the full weight if me pulling on the seat belt latch. It was a pretty good fight to get myself into position so I could release it. Finally did. Pretty good thump to the roof when it released.

Crawled out on the hot asphalt and got to my feet. By this time a lady who was driving toward me at the time of the accident was stopped asking if I was alright and calling 911. She filled me in on the flying suburban she saw. Said she couldn't believe I just crawled out and walked away. Might have been a different story had the suburban gone on the other side of the guard rail and made to 20 - 30 foot drop to the creek bed below. There is another whole story to me having a seat belt on and buckled that I NEVER ever wore. I was definitely being watched over that day.

All in all not something I want to do again.

Top Bottom