• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cliffh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    North Texas
    My Rep indicated that there is no way an open carry bill will even get started without the support of both the NRA & TSRA.

I've been trying to contact anyone at the NRA to start a dialog about open carry here with no response from anyone.

Ms. Tripp from TSRA did respond to my email. Here's a bit of what she wrote:

TSRA is committed to two personal safety issues at present...one is allowing and protecting the legal possession of a firearm (including CHLs) in a locked personal vehicle when parked on an employer's parking lot and the other (after VA. Tech) is allowing adult students, faculty, and staff with CHLs to carry on post secondary campuses in building current against the law and protecting these folks from being expelled or being fired. The parking lot issue has failed in 4 sessions and the campus bill failed once. We successfully passed 8 out of 9 bills attempted in 2007 but only 2 out of 4 in 2009.

Last session State Rep. Debbie Riddle (R-Tomball) offered to file a draft for open carry as an option to concealed carry, her office was attacked by the open carry people. Her staff was harassed and this information was shared on the House floor. No one will much want to take on that project again and put up with the abuse from folks who should have been supportive. That's just a fact...

Also, fyi, the open carry proponents planned a "rally" at the Capitol and three showed up and couldn't find each other. All of this was public and posted on their blog.

I'd like to know more about the "attacks" on Ms. Riddle and if they actually happened, why?.
    Military Camp

Vellcrow

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    I was in contact with Ms. Tripp 2 years ago about this. She pretty much summed up that the TSRA does not support open carry and does not think it is important. (at least not as important as employer parking lot and college carry)

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    It's a situation of "pick your battles". Open carry is a hot issue, but if you get movement on some of these OTHER ares, then you have a better shot at coming back ti open carry at a later date...or at least that is the line of thought they are using. I think going to open carry and addressing each of these as a PART of open carry would be a better approach, and so do a couple os State Senators I know and have talked to about it.

If we keep these things stirred up on boards and media, then it makes it REAL hard to get a good bill put together by those who are inclined to do so without having everyone trying to take it apart before it is even on paper...

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    We've seen here on this forum that open carry has some vocal opposition even in this community. I doubt it will come up again for a long time in TX legislator unless things change drastically.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    I was in contact with Ms. Tripp 2 years ago about this. She pretty much summed up that the TSRA does not support open carry and does not think it is important. (at least not as important as employer parking lot and college carry)

I just called theTSRA. Talked to Mrs. Tripp. I tried to ask a few questions and didnt get anywhere. I had important questions that need to be answered and didnt get a chance to ask them. The lady refered to Texas loosing its gun right after the civil war. I also had a few questions in reguard to that subject such as" What has the civil war got to do with the rights of Texans in 2010", but I didnt get a chance to ask her.
    After talking to Mrs. Tripp, I believe the TSRA is a good group, but im pissed that nobody could take the time to allow me to be specific with my questions so that I may get specific answers.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    My Rep indicated that there is no way an open carry bill will even get started without the support of both the NRA & TSRA.

I've been trying to contact anyone at the NRA to start a dialog about open carry here with no response from anyone.

Ms. Tripp from TSRA did respond to my email. Here's a bit of what she wrote:

I'd like to know more about the "attacks" on Ms. Riddle and if they actually happened, why?.

Who is your rep? I can see OC being passed but it is going to take time just like the CHL did. Almost nothing along these lines passes its first time through. The Campus carry and parking lot issues need to be readdressed as well.

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    Here is the problem here in Texas. We don't have a real pro-gun legilative lobby group here. In Arizona, we have AZCDL (Arizona Citizens Defense League ), which I am a life member of. www.azcdl.org We are a non-profit group that push for pro Arizona gun laws and fight anti gun laws. Most of the new pro gun stuff, has been pushed for by AZCDL, in AZ. We have about 3 thousand members now. They have some great computer programs that create a email to whatever state rep needs to get it, depending on the legislation. Then they emal all of the members, telling them why they need to forward the letter to their rep. We also have 2 full time lobbyist when the legislature is in session.

I can tell you this, you will pay attention to 3 thousand + email, in one day. Can you imagine ? Then, do that every day ! We have had more then one state rep ask us to PLEASE stop emailing them !

Go on www.azcdl.org and read the news letters. If Texas had a group like this, NO one could stop them. I heard there was a Texas Citizens Defense League, at one time. It just never got strong like AZCDL did. FYI: Arizona can't take all the credit. Virginia started the Citizens Defense League thing. Arizona just has a core of folks that are very passionate about freedom and restoring your rights.

Now, THATS what Texas needs. I don't have the time or energy to start a cdl here in Texas, but I am willing to help (just like I still do in AZ) and I can put you in contact with the people in AZ, that can help set one up here, as I am friends with all of the group leaders there.

THIS is how to REALLY get your voice heard and make a difference.

Cliffh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    North Texas
    Who is your rep?

That would be Mr. Dan Flynn. He and/or his office has been responsive to every message I've addressed to him, and he seems to be pretty gun-friendly.

Ms. Tripp's email also addressed the history of how TX lost a lot of gun rights. As Mr. Redneck said, that really doesn't apply in 2010. By the tone of her email it didn't sound as if she's going to change her mind anytime soon - or at all. May be time to look at changing some of the officers at TSRA also. Having officials who are stuck on just one or two issues and aren't willing to listen to other issues isn't in the best interest of everyone. They should be willing to listen with an open mind and at least consider others positions.

Guess I'll call Ms. Riddles office and see if they can/will explain what went on with the "attacks".

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    Here is the problem here in Texas. We don't have a real pro-gun legilative lobby group here. In Arizona, we have AZCDL (Arizona Citizens Defense League ), which I am a life member of. www.azcdl.org We are a non-profit group that push for pro Arizona gun laws and fight anti gun laws. Most of the new pro gun stuff, has been pushed for by AZCDL, in AZ. We have about 3 thousand members now. They have some great computer programs that create a email to whatever state rep needs to get it, depending on the legislation. Then they emal all of the members, telling them why they need to forward the letter to their rep. We also have 2 full time lobbyist when the legislature is in session.

I can tell you this, you will pay attention to 3 thousand + email, in one day. Can you imagine ? Then, do that every day ! We have had more then one state rep ask us to PLEASE stop emailing them !

Go on www.azcdl.org and read the news letters. If Texas had a group like this, NO one could stop them. I heard there was a Texas Citizens Defense League, at one time. It just never got strong like AZCDL did. FYI: Arizona can't take all the credit. Virginia started the Citizens Defense League thing. Arizona just has a core of folks that are very passionate about freedom and restoring your rights.

Now, THATS what Texas needs. I don't have the time or energy to start a cdl here in Texas, but I am willing to help (just like I still do in AZ) and I can put you in contact with the people in AZ, that can help set one up here, as I am friends with all of the group leaders there.

THIS is how to REALLY get your voice heard and make a difference.

+1000

We DON'T have a proactive gun lobbiest group here...and need one BADLY! Wouldn't be real hard to put together, actually...

Cliffh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    North Texas
    The www.azcdl.org link doesn't seem to work - it returned a "site can't be found" error.

Tried to chase down the Texas Citizens Defense League, what little I found lead to OCDO There was a guy posting there who said he was the orginator, I've sent him a PM to see what's up with TCDL.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    That would be Mr. Dan Flynn. He and/or his office has been responsive to every message I've addressed to him, and he seems to be pretty gun-friendly.

Ms. Tripp's email also addressed the history of how TX lost a lot of gun rights. As Mr. Redneck said, that really doesn't apply in 2010. By the tone of her email it didn't sound as if she's going to change her mind anytime soon - or at all. May be time to look at changing some of the officers at TSRA also. Having officials who are stuck on just one or two issues and aren't willing to listen to other issues isn't in the best interest of everyone. They should be willing to listen with an open mind and at least consider others positions.

Guess I'll call Ms. Riddles office and see if they can/will explain what went on with the "attacks".
    Thats the attitude I got from Ms. Tipp!! She acted as if she would only persue what was of interest to her! She wont let anyone speek, she thinks all I want to hear is a bunch of civil war excuses!!
    The issue with people lobbying based on their personal agenda doesnt represent to desire of the organization. About the only thing Mrs. Tipp asked me was if I was a TSRA member. I told her no and I wont be a member of something that doesnt support my goals. Why would I pay the TSRA membership fees when they act like that.
    I think our best bet is to move foward with the " Texas Citizens Defence League" !!!!!!

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Yall, I have been on the phone with people in Arizona asking advise and guidance, I have also been on the phone with many Texas Representitives discussing issues we all face and burdens we are challenged with.
    I can honestly say, this Tripp lady has been the most offensive person I have made an effort to talk to.
    No im not a member of the TSRA and I wont be either. Instead I am a financing a new Texas Citizense defence league. As soon as im able, I will have a new site built, and open a nonprofit account for the members. Someone will be elected as treasure to keep the books.
    Im not interested in anything except Constitutional Law for Texans. This Tripp lady gave me a bad attitude when I talked to her. She made it clear that she would only lobby for what she was interested in. After she told some story about her shooting a canon, she told me she didnt have anymore time for me. I never got to explain why I was calling. She asked if I were a TSRA member or a NRA member. I told her I was a GOA member and she ran them down.
    Im sick of special interest groups! I have one goal and one goal only!! I want Constitutional Laws for Texans. Our founding fathers gave us those right and I have never in my entire life been able to use them!
    The Texas Citizens Defence league will be nonprofit, no members fee, and without special interest! The organization will be funded by donations people make. Nobody will be asked to pay for their membership. People shouldnt have to pay to be a patriot to the great state of Texas!!!

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    Sounds great buddy! I would love to get involved! Let me know if I can help with anything.

Top Bottom