• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    Have a lot of coyotes around here, can hear them calling and catch them running by every now and then but what is the best way to call them in?

Western Rivers Nite Stalker Electronic Predator Call Camo

would this work?
    do you need this much? Do you need more? Which type go gun do you use, I've seen ARs to rifles to shotguns, which do you preference? Day or night? If at night how close can you get them? How much cameo you need?

Thanks for the advice.
    Venture Surplus ad

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Have a lot of coyotes around here, can hear them calling and catch them running by every now and then but what is the best way to call them in?

Western Rivers Nite Stalker Electronic Predator Call Camo

would this work?
    do you need this much? Do you need more? Which type go gun do you use, I've seen ARs to rifles to shotguns, which do you preference? Day or night? If at night how close can you get them? How much cameo you need?

Thanks for the advice.

It's a short answer Sunday. Never hear of that call. FoxPro is the best. Use an AR or other rifle; skip the shotgun. Day is way easier if your yotes will come then. You need tons of camo during the day. At night, you need a powerful light. Red is best.

Whereabouts are you located?

txbikerman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    mckinney
    The ar is the best choice for coyotes, they normally will stay out of shotgun range Camo is important At night a red lens spotlight works wonders

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I have a fox pro turbo dog.

Small, light, preprogrammed sounds and more can be downloaded relatively cheap. Remote says 100yrd range but real life is probably half that unless you are elevated.

I called in an owl with it once, scared the shit out of me, also brought in a couple of coons but the coyotes held back. I can't blame the call, it was more likely my dumbass smoking a cigarette that kept them back.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Wind in your face, gutted rabbit for bait, be still, don't over do the calling.
    AR is a great choice.

DTdr2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2013
    I like the mini-blaster by Burnham Bros.. Hand calls will allow you to change tone, frequency, or duration based on your needs. Sometimes changing your call will peak their curiosity, & get them to come in closer. Start off slow so they can't zero in on your location and be patient. First time yotes will move in for the kill real quick, but if they've heard a squall before even the hungry ones move in a lot slower. Once you get'em in make it count since they get educated real quick. If you do take one down wait a little while, and resume calling. Quite often you can get another.

At night I've kept a 12 gauge 00 buck close by for the ones that come up fast, and quick. For the others a 22-250 is my preference. As Remington said a red light works best. Even better if you can find one with a dimmer. Keep lowering the intensity of the light until you get'em were you want'em and then full power the Q-beam. It'll stop'em in their tracks long enough for you to get off a shot. You can also hold the main beam in front of them to keep'em coming in, and remember 1-2 million candle power hurts their eyes causing them to shy. You don't need much with the red lens. It'll still look like 2 big reflectors coming at you.:)

I personally like day calls better, and will use a 308 so that I can reach out and touch...

“When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe."
    Luke 11:21

Last edited:

STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    It's a short answer Sunday. Never hear of that call. FoxPro is the best. Use an AR or other rifle; skip the shotgun. Day is way easier if your yotes will come then. You need tons of camo during the day. At night, you need a powerful light. Red is best.

Whereabouts are you located?

In between Corpus and San Antonio

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    If ya get one in the sights but it's runnin', whistle.
    They'll stop for a split second and look at ya.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Ive used red and green lights and surprisingly my 5w hid red light doesnt bother them at all. It throws a beam 400yds. Yes 400yds at a known ranged distance and possibly further. Ill use that red lens up until they come into 100yds or less and blast em with my green or white light.

I want to get an actual caller but ive used a phone app and an ipod speaker to call them in with great results. Unfortunately it drains my phone battery and i cant trigger it remotely or any of the other benefits of a real onem

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    From my research (reading about it) you can't beat the manual calls due to being able to control the pitch and all that other BS. Problem is it requires skill......I have none.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    From my research (reading about it) you can't beat the manual calls due to being able to control the pitch and all that other BS. Problem is it requires skill......I have none.

I use manual calls as well but being able to not have to do anything but turn a caller on works better for me.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I turn it on, got to hunts, go to coyote, push play.

Never tried a day hunt. Spotlight quite on me so maybe I will give it a shot.

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I turn it on, got to hunts, go to coyote, push play.

Never tried a day hunt. Spotlight quite on me so maybe I will give it a shot.

Midday ain't bad.
    Called from a ditch after a hike one day. I thought sure they'd be one along any minute.
    Waited, squalled a bit, wait, repeat.
    Gave up on that spot and looked around and had a yote sitting on it's haunches about 30' behind me, just across the fence.
    It just sat there while I brought the ruger 77 mk II to shoulder and waved all over the place trying to get fur in the scope.
    I got a scope full of dog and fired. It sat there a second, turned and trotted off.

I stood there dumbfounded. I climbed from the ditch and found I had hit the 2nd strand of the barbed wire fence squarely.
    60 gr .243 varmint round. Completely disintegrated at 4' in front of the yote.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    A live cotton tail rabbit tied to a stake works well around here. Their squeal attracts coyotes day in and day out.

Alternatively, coyotes are fond of domestic cats ...

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    A live cotton tail rabbit tied to a stake works well around here. Their squeal attracts coyotes day in and day out.

Alternatively, coyotes are fond of domestic cats ...

Good to know, I'd hate to waste a good rabbit.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Ive seen coyotes come down just before dark and take off with cats, dogs, misc other pets and even start to corner little kids. This was in base housing while id be out bbqn.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom