Join TexasGunTalk

Your best story from the grocery store line?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by benenglish, Oct 22, 2013.

1. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    There are a couple of HEB stories on here, so I thought I'd offer one.

When I was about 8 or 9, my mom and I were in line to check out at the local HEB with a full cart of groceries. Ahead of us was a woman about the same age and size as my mom. The lady had a kid in her cart that was maybe 3 years old at most. The kid was crying. The lady was trying to get the kid to shut up, failing, and getting more angry and frustrated every second. Eventually, she started smacking the kid. At first it was lightly, then harder when the kid didn't shut up. We're talking slaps to the face. The kid cries harder with each slap. Eventually she hits the kid so hard that even I, in my little-kid state of obliviousness, was mortified. Everybody in every line noticed and stared.

With everyone in the store watching, my mom tapped the lady on the shoulder. When the lady turned around, my mom swung her entire body with all of her strength into an open-handed slap to the face of the lady with the kid. I can still hear the sound of that impact. The lady fell flat on the floor. My mom leaned over her and spat out, in the angriest voice I ever heard from her: "How do YOU like it?"

Then mom took me by the hand and we walked quietly but quickly out the door, leaving our groceries behind. No one lifted a finger to stop her but I guess mom didn't want to stick around in case the woman decided to call the police, anyway. ;)

That might just be my best "What I Saw In The Grocery Store Line" story.

What's yours?

2. BIGPAPIGREG

BIGPAPIGREG TGT Addict

Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS

3. breakingcontact

breakingcontact TGT Addict

Oct 16, 2012
    Outside Austin
    Are people by you total nazis about having to use the plastic order dividers? I dont know if its a Cali thing or a TX thing. Like they wont even put their stuff behind mine on the belt if i dont put the divider down and if i dont do it they do it grumpily.

4. Vaquero

Vaquero Pre-ban Staff Member Admin

Apr 4, 2011
    Out West
    Nope.

5. Phototex

Phototex New Member

Apr 20, 2013
    Dallas area
    Good for your Mom.

6. breakingcontact

Oct 16, 2012
    Outside Austin
    Walmart stories should be disallowed from this thread. Years ago in an Aldis i yelled at a woman for being cruel to her little kid. She shut up and took it because she knew she was wrong.

7. okie556

okie556 Well-Known

Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Did have a brand new checker at our Walmart pickup the divider thing and look and look for bar code while trying to scan it. Swear this actually happened!

8. Moonpie

Moonpie TGT Addict Lifetime Member

This one occurred when my daughter was about 3.5yrs old.

One day I took my little snowflake with me to the grocery store.
    Ahead of us in the check-out line was this very large robust older woman.
    This lady had a very heavy growth of hair on her upper lip. Fact is she had a freakin' moustache!
    The itty-bitty heathen was enthralled and kept staring a this woman, leaning her head one way and then another pondering this unusual sight.
    The woman was very nice. She was talking to daughter, asking her name etc.

The daughter turned to me and in a very loud voice and asks, "Daddy, why does the fat lady have a moustache?"

I about died. :roflfunny:
    And yeah everybody else in line laughed too. Except for the Moustache Lady.

9. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    That might be me.

If I'm in front of you, "I don't need this space any more so you're welcome to use it" seems, to me, like a nice thing to say to people. And if you're at the belt in front of me, I won't take up your space until you explicitly release it...by putting down that little divider.

Unreasonable?

10. breakingcontact

Oct 16, 2012
    Outside Austin
    Its a very weird social ineraction. Stores should improve that. Im sure they lose sales to people out there who just cant deal with it. Close confines too.