Your Cleaning Kit

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by GI-John, Aug 6, 2009.

1. GI-John

GI-John Hurry up and wait!! TGT Supporter

Apr 26, 2009
    Houston/San Antonio TX
    Well today I strolled right into Academy to purchase a Pistol Cleaning Kit. Hoppies dominated the aisle. I thought the Premium bench rest set priced to high at $50, and some of the other sets inadequate. I feel like Making my own. Have any of yall crafted your own custom case for your tools, brushes and solvents???:headscratch: what suits your needs? Are ya keepin it simple

IF ya did can ya plz plz post pics. Now all I need to do is learn craftsmanship.:tongueout:

2. TxEMTP69

TxEMTP69 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    I think it's safe to say a simple tool box, I got a $6 one from walmart and a roll out pad for cleaning my gear. maybe I'll upgrade someday.

I have Hoppes #9, some Break free CLP (think thats the name on it) and some wire and plastic brushes, was a hoppes kit that I added too

3. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I use a tool bag from Sears. One with patches and lint free rag/towel thingies from Wallymart. The other with brushes, pads, rods, etc. I keep CLP, Hoppes, etc., in a box.

I'm leaning more on Breakfree CLP lately since I can clean my gats at my desk. Hoppes is garage use only.

4. Bullseye Shooter

Bullseye Shooter Active Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    .50 Cal ammo can. It has enough room for my Brownells screwdriver set, patches, cleaning rod, Hoppe's, gun oil, Break-free, plastic picks, etc.

5. longtooth

longtooth Active Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Lufkin, Texas
    Agree w/ all the above on keeping it simple. Mine also is a Plastic tool box. Probably larger than the one above. Mine holds gear for 5 rifle calibers & 6 pistol calibers. Tools for complete disassembly of all guns for the whole clan that I am responsible for as Eldest Partiarch. I have a piece of carpte that I clean on.

The ammo can is a good option too. What ever works for you.

Bottom line is spend you money on supplies & not on the fancy wood chests.

6. TriggerTime

TriggerTime Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    I got a Plano plastic fishing tackle box at Academy (about $20). Works nice to keep various sizes of jags, brushes, patches etc. as well as my bore light, Allen wrenches, and Hoppe's, KG-12 copper solvent, Rem Oil, grease, and bore guides in. I only use the coated one-piece Dewy's rods for rifles so those have to stay separate. And I have a Tipton gun vise (about $60 on sale) that is really handy to put the rifles in for cleaning.

7. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I have a dry box that I got at Wilmar. It keeps the smell down in the house. I clean on an old bath towel. Keep it simple and spend the money you save on ammo or something useful like that. If I could add one more thing to my gun cleaning things it would be a gun vise for my rifle, they make rifle cleaning so much easier.

8. GI-John

GI-John Hurry up and wait!! TGT Supporter

Apr 26, 2009
    Houston/San Antonio TX

Take a look at this one, price isn't that bad either, But with the Hoppes brand dominating the aisle, I pondered if the brushes and fixtures would fit on this set. None the less a nice looking case. Im keeping it simple right now with all of my tools and solvents on the shelf

GUNMASTER UNIVERSAL GUN CLEANING KIT

9. 45tex

45tex Well-Known

Feb 1, 2009
    Same here. My kit just sorta evolved from a store bought kit into a big cheap plastic tool box with a tray. Holds everything including spray cans and big bottles of Hoppes.
    I like it big so if something is going to take more time than I have I can leave the project in the box wrapped in the cloth I was working on. Then spread it out later and still have most of the parts. There seems to always be something missing, or left over that gets tossed in the bottom until that "ah Ha" moment when I fix it correctly

10. zembonez

zembonez TGT Addict

Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Good old Plano tackle box here. Plenty of compartments and room for some sealed plastic containers. Works for me.