• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GI-John

Hurry up and wait!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Houston/San Antonio TX
    Well today I strolled right into Academy to purchase a Pistol Cleaning Kit. Hoppies dominated the aisle. I thought the Premium bench rest set priced to high at $50, and some of the other sets inadequate. I feel like Making my own. Have any of yall crafted your own custom case for your tools, brushes and solvents??? what suits your needs? Are ya keepin it simple

IF ya did can ya plz plz post pics. Now all I need to do is learn craftsmanship.
    Texas SOT

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    I think it's safe to say a simple tool box, I got a $6 one from walmart and a roll out pad for cleaning my gear. maybe I'll upgrade someday.

I have Hoppes #9, some Break free CLP (think thats the name on it) and some wire and plastic brushes, was a hoppes kit that I added too

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I use a tool bag from Sears. One with patches and lint free rag/towel thingies from Wallymart. The other with brushes, pads, rods, etc. I keep CLP, Hoppes, etc., in a box.

I'm leaning more on Breakfree CLP lately since I can clean my gats at my desk. Hoppes is garage use only.

longtooth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Lufkin, Texas
    Agree w/ all the above on keeping it simple. Mine also is a Plastic tool box. Probably larger than the one above. Mine holds gear for 5 rifle calibers & 6 pistol calibers. Tools for complete disassembly of all guns for the whole clan that I am responsible for as Eldest Partiarch. I have a piece of carpte that I clean on.

The ammo can is a good option too. What ever works for you.

Bottom line is spend you money on supplies & not on the fancy wood chests.

TriggerTime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    I got a Plano plastic fishing tackle box at Academy (about $20). Works nice to keep various sizes of jags, brushes, patches etc. as well as my bore light, Allen wrenches, and Hoppe's, KG-12 copper solvent, Rem Oil, grease, and bore guides in. I only use the coated one-piece Dewy's rods for rifles so those have to stay separate. And I have a Tipton gun vise (about $60 on sale) that is really handy to put the rifles in for cleaning.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I have a dry box that I got at Wilmar. It keeps the smell down in the house. I clean on an old bath towel. Keep it simple and spend the money you save on ammo or something useful like that. If I could add one more thing to my gun cleaning things it would be a gun vise for my rifle, they make rifle cleaning so much easier.

GI-John

Hurry up and wait!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Houston/San Antonio TX
    I have a dry box that I got at Wilmar. It keeps the smell down in the house. I clean on an old bath towel. Keep it simple and spend the money you save on ammo or something useful like that. If I could add one more thing to my gun cleaning things it would be a gun vise for my rifle, they make rifle cleaning so much easier.

Take a look at this one, price isn't that bad either, But with the Hoppes brand dominating the aisle, I pondered if the brushes and fixtures would fit on this set. None the less a nice looking case. Im keeping it simple right now with all of my tools and solvents on the shelf

GUNMASTER UNIVERSAL GUN CLEANING KIT

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Same here. My kit just sorta evolved from a store bought kit into a big cheap plastic tool box with a tray. Holds everything including spray cans and big bottles of Hoppes.
    I like it big so if something is going to take more time than I have I can leave the project in the box wrapped in the cloth I was working on. Then spread it out later and still have most of the parts. There seems to always be something missing, or left over that gets tossed in the bottom until that "ah Ha" moment when I fix it correctly

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I like to use bore snakes on my handguns, which cuts down on alot of the stuff you need to store. I keep some oil, patches, and a patch rod in my range bag.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    I have an old Johnson & Johnson wall mounted 1st aid kit that made a great box. Has 5 compartments, One is long enough that it holds all the cleaning rods. The only down side is I have to pour my Hoppies in another container for it to fit but outside of that its great.
    Has a weather seal, wall hooks to hang on wall and a carry handle.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    After many years of cleaning I found I do not like three piece rods I purchase better grade single piece rods, use hoppe's 9, FP10, I use WalMart flannel(Old time diaper cloth) and make my cleaning patches, plus cotton swabs. One added tool is an air compressor if you have space.

GI-John

Hurry up and wait!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Houston/San Antonio TX
    These are all great ideas, I also purchased a single piece rod. It works great but somewhere along the line I misplaced the ring that guides the rod from scraping the star chamber. Im thinking about purchasing a tackle box with ample compartments and space for solvents.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Take a look at this one, price isn't that bad either, But with the Hoppes brand dominating the aisle, I pondered if the brushes and fixtures would fit on this set. None the less a nice looking case. Im keeping it simple right now with all of my tools and solvents on the shelf

GUNMASTER UNIVERSAL GUN CLEANING KIT
    Not bad I know someone who has one and I cleaned my rifle with the stand once I like the Idea of the stand.
    And Bore snakes are alright for quick cleans but I still like my patches for most of tho. Hell I may not be doing it right but it seems like the bore snake doesn't get em very clean. Also, I would like to warn you of something. (for safety reasons) GI-John, the glass containers that the Hoppes solvent comes in tends to leek. So I wrap mine in a paper towel to be on the safe side. I have opened my dry box before and had a green film on everything in my kit. Just an FYI.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    .50 Cal ammo can. It has enough room for my Brownells screwdriver set, patches, cleaning rod, Hoppe's, gun oil, Break-free, plastic picks, etc.

Same here, I have a .50 cal can that I use too. I just keep all of my cleaning supplies in it, easily taken to the range and doesn't take up much room.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    After many years of cleaning I found I do not like three piece rods I purchase better grade single piece rods, use hoppe's 9, FP10, I use WalMart flannel(Old time diaper cloth) and make my cleaning patches, plus cotton swabs. One added tool is an air compressor if you have space.
    I need an air compressor also. I have a dremel for polishin and don't forget your safety glasses

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    I need an air compressor also. I have a dremel for polishin and don't forget your safety glasses

10.4 on that,the air compressor is indispensable in my opinion, also a good gun vice like the Tipton is an added bonus, once you have the proper equipment cleaning becomes easy and enjoyable.

Major Woody

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    I picked up a nice small 7"x7"x3" folding travel bag with clear pouches and elastic holders and pockets for everything and built my own out of stuff I have. 2.99 at Goodwill. Mine can go mobile.

Top Bottom