• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I think most AR owners out there would consider these two a staple of any black rifles' diet.

Predictable, reliable loads competitively priced thanks to their military association.

I am still in the middle of some accuracy testing and teetering back and forth between Serbian (PPU), Israeli(Independence 5.56) offerings. I have also run some PMC X tac and Lake city but these two are my front runners.

In past chrono testing the Independence was very stout, consistently clocking over 3300 fps from a typical carbine length barrel(16").

I am looking to stock up and want to make sure I am making a well informed decision. Luckily I do have a few boxes of various m193 and m855 rounds to put to the test soon.

In the meantime... everyone has a favorite brand, which is yours?
    Guns International

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I like the PMC X-tac and Federal American Eagle in 5.56. I have also had good luck with Fiocchi and AE in .223.

I have tried many brands and they all function well but have a slightly different POI.

In my Mini 14, Fiochhi .223 soft point seems to be more accurate than the FMJ. But it is more expensive.

I have some Speer Gold Dot 64 gr and 75 gr that I have not tested yet. Couldn't pass it up at $9.99 per box when PSA had it on sale.

I really need to standardize on one brand and bullet weight, but I've got such a mish mash of brands and bullet weights on hand, I can't really pick one as a favorite at this point.

What twist rate is your AR?

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Thanks for sharing the link extremist. Pretty good info in there and I do agree with most of his findings although you have to take these kinds of tests with a grain of salt. Every rifle shoots a little different but I like the approach of measuring things like he did as a scientific baseline. His results were unusual for IMI but what I would expect from the others. I plan on running Xtac m855, PPU 855 and M193 and some more independence 5.56.

Just for comparisons sake I am also trying out some Geco 223. It seems pretty common to find 223 shooting tighter groups than 5.56 ammo. The lower velocities and lighter crimping make for a better target round. I'll post an update or start another thread with some chrono results and groups after this sunday.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Depends ... on the barrel's rifling.

M193 for slower, M855 for faster.

As for accuracy and reliability: Lake City, IMI, PMC, Winchester (not in that order).

All are plenty good for a "battle rifle" where one or two inches at 300 yards is good enough.

None are good for gnats-ass bullseye shooting.

Be well.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Some chronograph numbers, etc

Here are some numbers from my shoot this last sunday. Unfortunately, the chronograph did not agree with the intermittent rain so I am missing a few sets of data.

2016 PPU M193 - fired from a ruger AR w/16" bbl

3058 fps cold bore - only shot recorded

2016 PPU M193 - fired from 18" WOA spr

3194 FPS AVG over 10 shots (15sd)

2015 Independence 5.56 - fired through 18" WOA spr

3372 avg w/2 of 10 rounds fired exceeding 3400fps !

2015? xTAC m855 - ruger AR (16")

2885 fps avg

3065 fps avg fired through 18" WOA spr

2016? Geco 223 - Ruger AR (16")

2980 fps avg - 51sd

Once again, the independence 556 was the hottest m193 load I have tested so far but 10 shot groups were a bit over 2 inches.. The PPU M193 was the most accurate at 1.735" for the 10 shots fired on target(18" WOA rifle). I did see nice groups from the Xtac M855 at 1.875" in the White Oak rifle over 10 shots as well.

Both rifles also saw some of their tightest groups with the Geco 223 which clocked a good 100-150 fps slower than the others. The 18" rifle shot a 1.25" group if you discount just one flier out of 10 shots.

Overall, all of this ammo was "combat accurate" and 100 percent reliable. Based on my findings right now, it's still hard to pick just one.

The Xtac m855 does really well from gun to gun but I think I like the accuracy of the PPU M193 much better.

It doesn't help that the Independence is also the fastest. All things being equal, I would pick the fastest almost every time.

So, maybe a few more tests to run before put it to rest.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    The two lots I bought of Independence brand were trustworthy, accurate and very affordable but that was a couple years ago so I don't know about current runs.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Well it's been almost 2 years since writing all of this up.

Rarely would I resurrect such an old thread but recent data on these loads are noteworthy.

Most importantly...it appears a few lots of the independence 556 are way over-pressured and tend to blow primers.

I need to analyze some head stamps and other packaging but I had at least 3 out of 15 rounds blow primers out of the same rifle these were test fired in almost 2 years ago.

Also after a little google fu I found several sites discussing at least 4 batches of FC13-xxxx-xxx, FC15 and FC16 that all blew primers in alarming numbers.

Which, I also experienced as a couple of consecutive misfires that soon revealed themselves as blown primers
    jamming up the rifle.

Anyhow, I'm gonna look over my lots and I recommend you do the same if you have any of these yrs of production on hand.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Have you tried the PMC 77gr OTM version? I've only shot a few of them when I first bought them but hope to get a new rifle out at some point and see what they can do out of a high dollar barrel not just my FN barrels.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I shot up the last of my Independence 556 4 years ago. I don't recall any problems with it, but I haven't purchased any more of that brand.

Top Bottom