• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    This morning I'm talking to a friend and got to talking about the snow, then the Hill Country. That prompted me to google my hometown and now I'm all homesick While I claim Corpus as my home now, it is the second half of my life. The first half, my foundation of who I am and why I am who I am, Karnes City which is the county seat for Karnes County is home. The county was named after Henry Karnes who was a soldier in the Texas Revolution.

What I appreciate most is that Texas History was such a significant part of our education. The surrounding area, the places, the towns the people...that is definitely what makes Texans Texans. I'm proud.

Karnes County, Texas

Karnes.jpg

karnes_city.gif
    Texas SOT

carneyman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    Tyler
    Dalhart, Tx. Home of the XIT Rodeo and Reunion. Name comes from the 2 counties it straddles, Dallam and Hartley. It is the county seat for Dallam. It has the world's largest free bbq during the Rodeo (1st weekend in August). Had 3 airforce bases during WWII where they trained B-52 pilots/crew. One crew accidently "bombed" (it was a dud) Boise City, Ok.
    800px-Empty_Saddle_Monument_in_Dalhart%2C_TX_IMG_0566.JPG

1792892064_51ce63597f.png

Dalhart, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Thibodaux (Tib-uh-doe), Louisiana. Parish seat of Lafourche (Luh-foosh) Parish. Population ~14,000. 60 miles southwest of New Orleans. Incorporated in 1830. This is sugarcane country.

One of the most interesting, and probably least known events in Louisiana history, is the Thibodaux Massacre of 1887. It is supposedly the second most bloody labor dispute in U.S. history. The Knights of Labor (union) organized a strike against sugarcane growers for higher wages for the (mostly black) labor force. Tensions escalated, and on Nov. 23, 1887, with the state militia having been called in, the situation turned bloody. Some accounts say up to 300 black strikers were killed.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    St. Petersburg, Florida

STP1.jpg

St. Pete is famous for lots of things...
    Home of the American League Champion, Tampa Bay Rays
    Home of some of the best rated beaches in the world.
    Home of the fist commercial airline flight....

Joat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Kenefick, TX
    us_army_logo.jpg
    BRAT

Hard to have a home town when you move every 1 - 3 years.

I was 11 before I found out that not everybody did a PCS and moved every other summer or so.

Joat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2008
    Bloomington Indiana.

Bloomington is the home to Indiana University. Established in 1820, IU has approximately 40,000 students and is the original and largest campus of the Indiana University system. In 1991, Thomas Gaines, a landscape artist, published a book, The Campus As a Work of Art, in which he named the Bloomington University campus one of the five most beautiful in America. Most of the campus buildings are built of Indiana limestone.

Top Bottom