• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    who in your opinion makes the Best AR rifle and Why? (the latter question being the most important)

Thank you.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Quality wise, from what I've seen.

POF
    LWRC
    LMT
    Noveske
    Daniel Defense
    Sabre

Those 6 all are high quality in my opinion. If I had to choose, I would personally snag an LMT 10.5" SBR, the LMTs are factory tight, smooth actions, and have alot of the mil-spec components. If I wanted to stay out-the-door legal, the Daniel Defense is a really well designed carbine, it's balance is awesome. For a piston gun, I like the POF slightly more than the LWRC, mainly because of the bolt release button.

I would say it really depends on what you are looking for.

TriggerTime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    Rock River
    Compass Lake Engineering

I've scored targets for Rock River's in service rifle competition and seen them consistently hold the 10 ring at 200, 300, and 600. The sights aren't pinned like John Hollinger's White Oak uppers so for the very best, a Rock River lower, let John install and tune a Giessle trigger, and put a White Oak upper on it. That's what a lot of competitors shoot with at Perry.

Of course, Compass Lake is absolutely first rate as well and Frank White has his own trigger that he puts in his rifles. I haven't looked in a week or so, but the last time I checked their lower's had still not arrived so there is going to be a wait to get one. But Compass Lake is first rate and very nice folks as well.

Good luck.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Havent seen Yankee Hill Machine listed... YHM has been making parts and kits for years and just recently started offering assembled rifles. I will be adding either a Light Weight Carbine or Black Diamond Spectre soon.

cnl390

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Believe or not that is a really hard question to answer, and that is because you can buy an AR in so many stages of being built.
    Who makes the best AR?
    I believe that I do!
    Now I am saying this to make a point. I might not have made the parts, but I did "build" the rifle.
    I took a LaRue billet stripped lower, Rock River LPK, Gisselle trigger, Hogue grip, Magpul UBR stock, LaRue Stealth upper, KNS hammer & trigger pins & a Magpul Pmag and put them all together.
    I have also built a Stag, Double Star & a Rock River. I am not trying to be cocky, just showing you that you will get a lot of answers.
    Some of the best AR rifles you can buy from manufacturers are, LMT, Rock River, Stag, etc. But then a lot of companies make damn good Ar's using a mix of parts from different manufacturers.
    Probably a better question is "Who makes the worst AR's". Then stay away from those and buy the AR you can afford with the bells and whistles you want on it. But believe me you will become addicted. And you will upgrade, modify & tweek your AR to make it your own.

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    Havent seen Yankee Hill Machine listed... YHM has been making parts and kits for years and just recently started offering assembled rifles. I will be adding either a Light Weight Carbine or Black Diamond Spectre soon.

Hey D, they damn sure should be on the list. I had 3 rifles built by an armorer in Georgia with YHM lowers, handguards, and flip up sights and they run great. For a mid range priced AR, I would put them up against anyone. For a higher priced AR, IMHO, POF is making the best piston rifles out there and they are damn snappy looking too!!!

Mate

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Houston
    Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, Noveske, LMT, SLR15.

These guys all build to a standard. I dont care about what gun comes with what accessories, I can add that later. I want a gun that will run from the start.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Who makes the best AR?
    I believe that I do!

I will say that building your own is by far one of the more fun options out there. You can put together exactly what you want, and have a rifle that you can call your own.

The only thing you need to do is educate yourself about the options out there, and go from there. Set yourself a budget, and start picking up pieces here and there.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Honestly, I've been very unimpressed with the POF's we've received at work. The ones we have, have not been there long (maybe 1 month) though they came with rusted screws on the fore end, the stock castle nut on at least one wasn't even hand tight (bringing the gun up for a cheek weld knocked it loose), etc etc. That's F'in BS for a $2100 gun. All that and they don't even give you the damn sites either. Waste of money, if these are accurate indicators of their current quality IMO.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Noveske damned near custom built
    LWRC I used their lower over a LMT that I bought at the same time.
    Larue made in TEXAS keep the money at home
    LMT bought 3 lowers kept one. just not as nice as the LWRC IMHO
    CMMG had an AR pistol of theirs that was very nice. They give you options as to what goes on it.

OIF2

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hill Country
    This one is pretty good. S&W VTAC.
    5.gif

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Direct Impingement Ars
    1. Colt
    2. Armalite
    3. Bushmaster
    4. rock river Arms
    5. DPMS
    6. LMT
    7. Noveske

Piston AR-15s
    1. LWRC
    2. POF
    3. LMT
    4. colt

DI Uppers:
    1. Wes Grant, MSTN

Piston Uppers:
    1. LWRC
    2. HK 416
    3. PWS
    4. LMT
    5. POF

Lower Manufacturers: Names of all manufacturers that forge and mill their own lowers

Major Woody

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    I have a Bushy M4A3 carbine topped with a Sightron 3x9x42 scope and it is getting bulls eyes at 100.
    The 1:9 barrel is doing this with 69 gr sie.

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    I have shot my brother's Rock River and cousin's Stag and looked at everything under the sun and am buying this one:

[url]http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=113&products_id=59[/URL]

Spikes Tactical makes very good stuff and it has all the features of the Colt or LMT at around what you'd pay for a Stag or Bushy. If you are familiar with the AR Chart - you'll see Spikes ARs hit every "X" on said chart....works for me!

Check them out...

- brickboy240

gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    I love my Lmt's never had a problem with either of them I think they are the best out there you use to be able to buy them for 1098 out the door at quantico tactical but I would hate to see how much they are going for now.

gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    I have shot my brother's Rock River and cousin's Stag and looked at everything under the sun and am buying this one:

[URL="http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=113&products_id=59"][url]http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=113&products_id=59[/URL][/URL]

Spikes Tactical makes very good stuff and it has all the features of the Colt or LMT at around what you'd pay for a Stag or Bushy. If you are familiar with the AR Chart - you'll see Spikes ARs hit every "X" on said chart....works for me!

Check them out...

- brickboy240

That looks like a good deal brick I would be all over that if i was in the market are they in stock have you heard from them.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom