• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2021
    Victoria, TX
    >

OK, you have been very reasonable, so here is my answer for temporary relief: Like many cities have “COPS” units, standing for “Cabs on Patrol”, we could institute “GrandParents on Watch” or “GPoW”, in which Grandparents with weapons familiarity, could volunteer for brief stints of guard duty before, during, & after school hours. Retired GP’s with carbines could be stationed about school areas, on-guard. I’d bet no potential “shooter” would want to enter any place guarded by folks like us. And, don’t allow busybodies to weigh it down with all sorts of “rules”, extra training, insurance requirements, etc. Just consider this: Were your loved ones in immediate harm’s way from crazies with homicidal intent, exactly what qualifications would you demand of anyone on TGT before wanting them to STOP the immediate threat ? This is not that complicated. And, any teacher or school employee with a CL should be allowed to carry at work. Bus drivers, too. leVieux

This is exactly what I, and several others, do one day a week each. My day is Thursdays most of the time. We've also got a few guys who can only put in a few hours one day a week and one guy who can do once a month. At this time though, we are not armed, but we are on guard, checking doors, watching...

It's not fun, but it is necessary.

During our first State audits, the auditor could not gain entry to two campuses. We still have some work to do.

Our organization is called Cub Watch. It's sorta like Watch D.O.G.S. but without the mentoring. We are just there for safety.

Oh, and each campus has armed teachers and staff. My group are not employees so we don't fall under that umbrella.

Alan

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is exactly what I, and several others, do one day a week each. My day is Thursdays most of the time. We've also got a few guys who can only put in a few hours one day a week and one guy who can do once a month. At this time though, we are not armed, but we are on guard, checking doors, watching...

It's not fun, but it is necessary.

During our first State audits, the auditor could not gain entry to two campuses. We still have some work to do.

Our organization is called Cub Watch. It's sorta like Watch D.O.G.S. but without the mentoring. We are just there for safety.

Oh, and each campus has armed teachers and staff. My group are not employees so we don't fall under that umbrella.

Alan
    >
    To be reasonable and effective, those guarding schools should have carbines. Recall that most recent shooters have used carbines or rifles. Pray-tell, if heavily armed Police have troubles stopping them, just how would unarmed elders do it ?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2021
    Victoria, TX
    >
    To be reasonable and effective, those guarding schools should have carbines. Recall that most recent shooters have used carbines or rifles. Pray-tell, if heavily armed Police have troubles stopping them, just how would unarmed elders do it ?

Right now, it's what we've got... I've told our guys that their first response is to make the call that something is amiss. After that, what they do is up to them... I know that I'd have to go and try to stop the shooter by whatever means were available, use up some of his seconds... If the doors are locked more seconds, if the inside doors are locked more seconds... use up enough and our cops WILL be there... Uvalde won't happen again...

You are right. We need rifles, both for the visual effect and for actual effect. Just our presence is a deterrent. Shooters are cowards. They don't want to be stopped before the do their thing. If we see them and sound the alarm, they can't do that, so they stay away... At least that's Plan A.

Plan B? BONZAIIII !

Alan

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    I know the driving issues are societal, but I also believe that people fear painful consequences, especially cowards. We have become so damn soft that we quit using “Old Sparky”, the gas chamber, and hanging. Bring back deterents. Today, if you get the death sentence (and live through the years of bullshit appeals) you will be gracefully put to sleep in a way rhat most of us would prefer. That’s not scary. Quarter their ass in the town square with a couple of Clydesdales. Burn their happy ass at the stake. The scary stuff is not only a deterrant to crime, they also quite fun to watch. Sell tickets, popcorn and drinks. Then donate the money to the local law enforcement agencies.

hullhullhull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2022
    El Paso
    Security would probably solve the immediate problem.

Paying for private school solves some of the immediate security problem, but is no guarantee for the social problem.

Numerous social changes would be needed to arrive at the desired end state and are outside our control.

Numerous parenting changes would be needed to arrive at the desired end state and are outside our control.

I think the only solution that is within most peoples control is paying for private school and having a very active voice in the administration of said private school. Still no guarantees though. Very expensive too.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Maybe, any eventual permanent “fix”; but we need immediate help to save kids, not some protracted psychological or morals program.
    I think these problems took time to evolve, and the solution is likewise going to take time to fix it.

I don’t believe there a fast or easy solution to this. We as a people need to change how we’re raising kids.

IMHO

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Right now, it's what we've got... I've told our guys that their first response is to make the call that something is amiss. After that, what they do is up to them... I know that I'd have to go and try to stop the shooter by whatever means were available, use up some of his seconds... If the doors are locked more seconds, if the inside doors are locked more seconds... use up enough and our cops WILL be there... Uvalde won't happen again...

You are right. We need rifles, both for the visual effect and for actual effect. Just our presence is a deterrent. Shooters are cowards. They don't want to be stopped before the do their thing. If we see them and sound the alarm, they can't do that, so they stay away... At least that's Plan A.

Plan B? BONZAIIII !

Alan
    >

I understand that you are trying to do “something” and appreciate you effort.

The “pistols against rifles” would be bad enough, but bare hands against rifles is futile and senseless.

Why do bank guards, armored car workers, government & court guards all have serious weapons; but those who must protect our innocents must do it with bare hands ?

NO, I reject that notion in its entirety.

leVieux

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2021
    Victoria, TX
    >

I understand that you are trying to do “something” and appreciate you effort.

The “pistols against rifles” would be bad enough, but bare hands against rifles is futile and senseless.

Why do bank guards, armored car workers, government & court guards all have serious weapons; but those who must protect our innocents must do it with bare hands ?

NO, I reject that notion in its entirety.

leVieux

I agree 100%. I have no choice at this time... Maybe in the future.

Alan

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    My solution isn't as much "shoot back" as "shoot first." If someone enters a school with a rifle/shotgun who's not authorized to have one there (as all school employees should be authorized), that should be enough justification to make them a bullet sponge...

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    >.

Please re-read my comment.

leVieux
    >

Yes, the Florida School shootings should have taught all LEO’s and any armed “responder/protector” that it is absolutely necessary to not treat “active shooting” the same as a “hostage event”, that the shooter must be confronted immediately.

And, since the recent “trend” is of heavily armed and armored “shooters”, our responders should have carbines, rifles, and also wear armor.

What a sick, horrible mess. . . . . .

leVieux

Top Bottom