• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BluHog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Ellis County
    I've been looking at various weapons for CC and had more or less decided on a .40 cal S&W or an XD or possibly a Glock (all in .40). But I have an opportunity to buy a friend's parkerized SA V10 .45 cal. It is similar to this photo:
    sa_v10_parkerized_sml.jpg
    He is replacing this with the same model in stainless.​

The gun has some holster wear and has the three-point sights, unlike the ramp sights shown here. It also does not have the wood grips, but I am thinking about adding Hogue grips, anyway.​

I was interested in Crimson Trace laser sights but they don't make them for this model, as far as I can tell, and it has no rail.​

Any thought or experiences or recommendations? Thanks in advance for your help.​
    Texas SOT

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    See if your friend will let you shoot it first.The compact's seem to have jamming issue's.Here's what my SA was doing.It ended up being an extractor problem.
    apt19jan172008024.jpg

Dog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Central TX
    for concealed carry there are some great options out there, consider all aspects. Are u familiar with single-action pistols? They are their own breed. Lots of things to consider.
    As for Glocks, try on a XD too, as many feel they own advantages over the Glock,esp. in .40

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    1911 Pistols make great carry weapons. I also think that Crimson does make a compact frame laser.. but I could be wrong as I don't like them.

I carry 5 inch 1911s all the time. The compact frame (officer's) is a little easier to conceal than the full size but full size is easy enough for me. I have the SA ultra compact that I carry and the Wilson Compact CQB.

BluHog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Ellis County
    Thanks for all the replies, so far. The asking price is $475. I will, of course, fire it first. I've never owned a pistol, my last purchase (which I still have) was in the mid-1970s and it was a Ruger Security Six .357.

I'm told the porting really helps with the recoil. I've only fired a .45 once and that was many years ago.

And as for the Crimson Trace laser - the friend who's offering the pistol does not like lasers, either. One of his claims is they also help the perp locate the homeowner. My thought is that with such a sighting method, it would be much easier to get on target, especially in low light, rather than trying to line up traditional sights in a high-stress/low light situation. I can't speak from experience but I don't know if I want to find out the hard way.

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    I owned and carried an SA V10 Ultra compact for a while. it never jammed on me once. The only thing bad about using it as carry is the porting in the top of the slide (where the name V10 comes from) throws a nice big flame in low light. Also I would not want to fire it if I was holding it close to me in a deffensive posture. it was the perfect size for carry though and the porting made it nice to fire.

BluHog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Ellis County
    On the issue of jamming - the owner says it's only jammed on him when he used his own reloads; all the commercial stuff worked fine. I'll be using "store-bought" so that shouldn't be a problem.

I didn't ask him how many rounds he's run through it but it's his current carry weapon until he checks out the SS version at the range at which time he'll swap them out.

redhart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    too far east
    I agree with Claymore504,you do get a light show in poor light. But it is a good size and has been very reliable(see photo in the picture thread)Works fine with Kimber 7 rd. mags. also.

Top Bottom