• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • james.long48

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2015
    A Texas LTC/CHL is state-issued identification, and I have used mine as identification to vote in the past (I wasn't carrying as that would be in violation of the Penal Code, I just thought it would be fun to do so).

I have also used it at the airport going through TSA, and to purchase alcohol (although I rarely get carded at my age).

I have never had an issue using a LTC/CHL as ID.

But all that said, there are requirements to carry both when carrying a firearm, as TXI has detailed in his post.

Like you, I find it smart to carry both at all times.
    I have done this on numerous occasions as well... (some times to get a rise out of people, most never notice the difference).

One time I was IDed for a 6 pack, wife had taken DL out of my wallet for paper work. I handed the cashier my CHL. She actually read it and proceeded to freak out. She even announced on her radio that she had been given a "hand gun license" and mumbled something that a "customer" was/maybe armed. Her reactions were as if I was holding her up at gun point. She was overcome with panick and fear. Luckily a manager cracked back over the radio that is an acceptable form of ID.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    The number on the LTC can be either a TDL or ID number and it does not specify which. If you're pulled over your LTC is not proof that you have a TDL or if you do have one it does not prove that the TDL is current. So, I guess the LTC would be a suitable ID for everything except driving.
    That's what I believe it should be, but that's not what the law says as far as carrying when not driving. Just hoping someone had a good reason why.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    That's what I believe it should be, but that's not what the law says as far as carrying when not driving. Just hoping someone had a good reason why.
    The law requires you to have a valid TDL or state ID to obtain a LTC. Perhaps they want you to show it to prove it (TDL/ID) hasn't expired.

If your TDL/ID has expired is your LTC no longer valid?

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Haven't seen anything about that, LTC does have an expiration date.

I don't want to hijack the thread, I was just wondering.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    The law requires you to have a valid TDL or state ID to obtain a LTC. Perhaps they want you to show it to prove it (TDL/ID) hasn't expired.

If your TDL/ID has expired is your LTC no longer valid?

They are not tied in that way.

You guys are way overthinking this. There is NO penalty of you fail to display your DL or ID along with your LTC if a peace officer or magistrate demands that you ID yourself and you are carrying a handgun. (unless you are driving or engaged in some other activity where a license is required)

If a peace officer has PC to believe you are carrying a handgun then he can ask for your LTC, and if you fail to show it you can be arrested for violating the Unlawful Carrying a Weapon law, PC 46.02

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Thank You txi, all I wanted to know. I will still produce both if need be, just didn't sound right to me in the context I took it.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    You guys are way overthinking this. There is NO penalty of you fail to display your DL or ID along with your LTC if a peace officer or magistrate demands that you ID yourself and you are carrying a handgun. (unless you are driving or engaged in some other activity where a license is required)

Thx. This makes sense.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    LOCKHART,

A simple, "YES, I am."
    (I carry 24/365, unless I'm in a prohibited location. - I've been checked exactly once in >7 years by a Bexar County Deputy Constable. = I was in a laundramat on Broadway, pulled up my shirt to get more money, the DC saw my holster & asked me if I was CCW. - I showed him my license, he thanked me, we shook hands & that was all. - NICE guy, too.)

yours, satx

At a cafeteria type restaurant. There are 5 or 6 people ahead of you and a bunch in line behind. The person in line behind you is a uniformed police officer. You are carrying your pistol on a belt holster at 5 o'clock and it's covered by an extra long shirt worn untucked. You notice the officer is looking sternly at you and asks "Are carrying a gun?". What is the proper response to his question?

Last edited:

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I don't voluntarily offer ID to anyone. If asked for it by LEO's it's more for not wasting more of my time than wanting to stand on moral ground. Of course, I wouldn't let them know that, just smile and say yes sir.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    No, this didn't happen to me but I realized long ago that a lot of cops don't know the finer points of concealed carry law. I was arrested in a bar parking lot for carrying in a 51% area. EXCEPT the parking lot is NOT the damn PREMISES! But due to the cops ignorance of that fact, I spent a night in the Travis County "justice center!"
    Premises per TABC includes parking lot...

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Does it matter what TABC considered a premise as far as carry is concerned?

I don't believe TABC regulates the carry of firearms. Not even sure the 51% sign is a TABC thing.

Top Bottom