Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    There are FREE movie editing programs out there. Learn them and use them.
    Don;t use the camera's "transition" feature.
    Windows Movie Maker does a great job of simple edits and Adobe Premeire Elements is an inexpensive, well featured alternative.
    Got a recommendation that's native to Linux?
    Capitol Armory ad

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    The key to hand held is to hang a wide shot and move closer.

Just like when looking through binocs the higher the zoom power the more unsteady it appears. In actuality hand movement is the same.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Sorry ... no clue. Commodore, Amiga, OSX mac and PC ... yes.
    I have Kino, Openshot, Pitivi, and Avidemux. Do any of those ring a bell on other platforms?

ETA: The reason I ask is that with every one of those programs, the learning curve seems to be virtually straight up. Lots of things about photo editing software are intuitive to me; I was a photographer a long, long time ago. (I'm constantly amazed when Photoshop users have no idea why "dodge" and "burn" are called "dodge" and "burn". Or have they dropped that terminology from recent versions?) But this video stuff? It's Greek to me. Three windows open at launch and I often can't figure out how to just open a file so I can cut out a bit and save that as a new file. This seems conceptually simple to me but apparently success at accomplishing such a task requires the ability to read 3587 different buttons denoted by ideoms derived from ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics.

This is one of the few computer tasks that I find truly discouraging.

Last edited:

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Man, that's tough to do. Really tough.
    Yeah, for most people it's easier to Micheal Bay it ;)

I'll give this guy as an example: https://www.youtube.com/user/scholagladiatoria
    Bad lighting, his camera is always trying to auto-focus, and the audio is terrible. ...but he's pretty much the only master of historical European martial arts on youtube, and he packs a ton of interesting info into relatively short videos.

Nutnfancy started off with really crappy quality videos as well, but his skill as a reviewer compensated for it. Things have changed in the last few years, tho. Seems like everyone has stepped up their production quality.

Three windows open at launch and I often can't figure out how to just open a file so I can cut out a bit and save that as a new file.
    If all you need is to cut, trim, or join then youtube's built in editor should work.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I have Kino, Openshot, Pitivi, and Avidemux. Do any of those ring a bell on other platforms?

ETA: The reason I ask is that with every one of those programs, the learning curve seems to be virtually straight up. Lots of things about photo editing software are intuitive to me; I was a photographer a long, long time ago. (I'm constantly amazed when Photoshop users have no idea why "dodge" and "burn" are called "dodge" and "burn". Or have they dropped that terminology from recent versions?) But this video stuff? It's Greek to me. Three windows open at launch and I often can't figure out how to just open a file so I can cut out a bit and save that as a new file. This seems conceptually simple to me but apparently success at accomplishing such a task requires the ability to read 3587 different buttons denoted by ideoms derived from ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics.

This is one of the few computer tasks that I find truly discouraging.

3 windows, huh?
    So does Premiere. Here is how Premiere works ...

One is the preview/program window, one is the timeline window and one is the sequence and effects window.

Import clips into the sequence window.
    Drag the clip (or sequence) into the timeline window.
    Space bar typically is play and stop.
    You should see the clip the Program/preview window and the video/audio should sync up to a moving cursor on the timeline.

Stop the video where you want, cut the sequence into two pieces, chose which to remove (select with mouse and use delete key) and drag the next sequence into the timeline.
    The clip you've drug to the timeline is just a pointer to the master clip. Cutting or deleting is trimming the pointer and not the original video.

That's the basics ...

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I am currently using IMovie it seems to work well for this kind of simple editing.

Mac ... I'm sorry. Yer already behind the 8-ball and haven't even started yet. ;)

Export in a format that is the lowest common denominator. Codecs can be an ass kicker.
    WMV for windows machines.

Buy a fast drive(s) and dedicate it to video file storage.
    Run defrag often. I have a shareware utility that defrags two 4T dives once a week.

Dual monitors make life so much easier.

Use normal, every Joe speakers. It's what your audience typically has.
    Make it sound good there and it'll sound fine on my machine here.

Take a ton of B-roll, catalog it and keep it forever.

I cover the lense with my hand as I begin recording, then remove it when the take is about to start.
    When scrubbing along the time line, the image will go dark. Tells me when a take stopped and then begins.

Slate the video with a visual or audio slate.
    Nothing more frustrating that sitting in post scrubbing back and fourth looking for take #6.
    I say "take 6" and hold up six fingers in front of the lense for 5 seconds as a visual.

Pro tip:

explore a movie DVD and look for a "video ts" folder.
    Copy the "VOB" file(s) onto your local drive (look for the larger files).
    Change the extension to "mpg"
    Open in media player or import into editing software.

Works about 1/2 the time, depending upon encryption.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    mitchntx;1186563Did I say I've been producing multimedia training and employee information for a major power company since 1982?[/QUOTE said:
    You're the one that does those harassment videos I've learned nothing from?? Ban him!

Any who

I'm going to be doing YouTube myself this year so I've been thinking myself what I want to do. Here's my thoughts:

Direct, to the point, and informative. Research the product, I hate hearing I don't know or the words "or something". Drop ANY music, I don't need to hear blasting heavy metals screams from some underground shit band, intro crap. Consistency if you do a few reviews. Have key points you hit on all your reviews. Keep opinions to a minimal amount or at least say "for me..." tired of people calling something crap because THEY don't like a feature or design. Be honest be real and gear it towards your audience. And be upfront about who your audience is you're gearing towards. Everyday Joe smo? Operators? Gun enthusiasts? Etc.

We look forward to your videos.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Some reviewers are determined to find things that can be done better along with the things they like with every product they review. I like this idea. To me, it makes it seem more balanced and less of a paid advertisement. Also, leave out your personal feelings about price. If you can teach me something new about why something on the product is the way it is - I'll feel more confident in your review and I'll remember you as someone who knows their stuff.

Top Bottom