• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Austin
    YouView: Guns in Plain Sight? A Bad Choice for Texas - News Story - KXAS | Dallas

Y'all are welcome to post comments. I did.

"For every one hundred men you send us,
    Ten should not even be here.
    Eighty are nothing but targets.
    Nine of them are real fighters;
    We are lucky to have them, they the battle make.
    Ah, but the one. One of them is a warrior.
    And he will bring the others back."
    - Heraclitus

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    The real problem will never be fixed if people like this keep focusing on non-criminals that are not only not the problem, but on their side of the real problem.

kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    What a wanker... I fail to see how allowing people to Open Carry will increase gang violence. Has this sheltered SOB ever been around gang members? They flash they're guns at each other constantly.

It'll increase racial tension? doesn't that translate into, "OMG give the blacks and Mexican guns and they'll want to shoot whitey!" Sounds like this guy believes that just because people can see you carrying a gun it's going to start some sort of race war... sounds like this guy is racist to me!

Let me just break down one of this guys paragraphs:

"Tarrant County is very diverse. We have a significant number of affluent and educated whites, black and Latinos.".... Aka I'm not saying that minorities are all stupid.

"We also have more than our share of less-fortunate, less-educated folk across all walks of life. As a metro-area resident who interacts within most of these groups, I'm worried how this petition will affect race relations." Aka The poor minorities are uneducated and not responsible enough to walk around with a gun, and I'm afraid they might start shooting rich white folk like me.

" I have lots of friends of Mexican descent," See... I have minority friends... that must mean I'm not racist!

I could go one, but this guy can cover it up with pretty language and side topics, but what I got out of the article is he's afraid of walking down the street and seeing a black or Hispanic person with a sidearm strapped to their belt.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Austin
    What a wanker... I fail to see how allowing people to Open Carry will increase gang violence. Has this sheltered SOB ever been around gang members? They flash they're guns at each other constantly.

It'll increase racial tension? doesn't that translate into, "OMG give the blacks and Mexican guns and they'll want to shoot whitey!" Sounds like this guy believes that just because people can see you carrying a gun it's going to start some sort of race war... sounds like this guy is racist to me!

Let me just break down one of this guys paragraphs:

"Tarrant County is very diverse. We have a significant number of affluent and educated whites, black and Latinos.".... Aka I'm not saying that minorities are all stupid.

"We also have more than our share of less-fortunate, less-educated folk across all walks of life. As a metro-area resident who interacts within most of these groups, I'm worried how this petition will affect race relations." Aka The poor minorities are uneducated and not responsible enough to walk around with a gun, and I'm afraid they might start shooting rich white folk like me.

" I have lots of friends of Mexican descent," See... I have minority friends... that must mean I'm not racist!

I could go one, but this guy can cover it up with pretty language and side topics, but what I got out of the article is he's afraid of walking down the street and seeing a black or Hispanic person with a sidearm strapped to their belt.

DING DING DING!!! I think we have a winner. Kville79, I think you nailed it. Mr. Stephen Dudley might very well be a racist, and an elitist gun snob to boot. Stephen Dudley might be really scared of Brown People With Guns. Why else bring race into it? Good job, you read what he wrote much more carefully than I did.

After reading what you wrote, it occurred to me that racism/elitism is why we have restrictive gun laws in the first place, and why we have to pay fees and jump through hoops to get permits - the Powers That Be don't want the commoners arming themselves.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Austin
    Looks like that article is down now.

Looks like that article is down now.

Also, I clicked on the author's profile and it says he lives in Olympia, WA - he doesn't even live in Texas!

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Here's a cache version:

YouView: Guns in Plain Sight? A Bad Choice for Texas

Written by Stephen Dudley

Some Texans, especially members of the Texas Citizens Defense League, are asking Gov. Rick Perry and the state legislature to allow citizens to carry firearms in plain sight. For some in the Metroplex, it's an insane idea. Many believe it will never come to fruition. On the other hand, many point to the fact that most states do allow open carrying of guns.

I'm a property owner in Tarrant County. I own two handguns, one shotgun and one hunting rifle. Except for hunting, skeet shooting or target practice at a private shooting range, I've never had reason to remove them from locked storage. I would never consider carrying those weapons with me. It's just asking for trouble.

Tarrant County is very diverse. We have a significant number of affluent and educated whites, black and Latinos. We also have more than our share of less-fortunate, less-educated folk across all walks of life. As a metro-area resident who interacts within most of these groups, I'm worried how this petition will affect race relations. I have lots of friends of Mexican descent, most of whom live in southeast Fort Worth, the suburbs and along the old highway to Dallas. They're worried the right to carry firearms openly will inflame relations and tension between area gangs.

My friend Raphael was robbed two months ago, early in the morning, while walking home from a bar near the 2800 block of J street in Fort Worth. He thinks he'd be dead if the men who robbed him had guns. Nevertheless, he's now scraping together money to buy a handgun for protection.

Petition proponents were undoubtedly delighted with a Los Angeles Times story (run June 8 in the Star-Telegram) about a family in Provo, Utah, that openly carries firearms. It told the story of Kevin Jensen, who brings his Glock 23 into his bank, restaurants, shopping centers and even Ron Paul political rallies. Most days, he and his wife drop off their 5-year-old daughter at school. They both openly carrying guns. They receive no complaints. This is the type of situation petition proponents desire here in Dallas/Fort Worth. They may get something much different instead.

I've read the TDCL propaganda. I am not buying it. Their members do not see the turbulence they are causing in the community. Their online forums hide behind the fear that the state and federal government won't protect Texans against increasing illegal immigration from Mexico. They'd better be careful what they ask for. This petition will cause more trouble for Dallas/Fort Worth. The TDCL's opening statement is from Winston Churchill, talking about fighting Nazism. It had nothing to do with the right to bear arms.

This petition is not necessary, nor will it be beneficial for anyone in Texas, for the following reasons:
    • It will re-enforce stereotypes about Texans as gun-slinging, Wild West people living in the past.
    • It will inflame already high tensions between black and Latinos in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.
    • It will give rise to citizen-applied justice if problems along the border increase and illegal immigration continues to increase.
    • It will, in the end, reduce the rights of citizens to carry arms and to enjoy recreational target practice or hunting activities.
    This is a terrible time for me to start thinking about selling my home and moving elsewhere, but, believe me, I'm considering it. I hope and pray Gov. Perry will not allow this petition to see the light of day.

It will only mean trouble for for Texas.

Mr Dudley needs to figure out the "TDCL" means nothing. TxCDL is the proper abbreviation. Goon can't even get information straight and he expects to write a good piece about why OC is bad.

As for the TxCDL website, that hasn't been up for a bit.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    This petition is not necessary, nor will it be beneficial for anyone in Texas, for the following reasons:

The one thing you are correct on, the petition is 'not necessary' but it's a fun tool, like a voter poll. And writing this article after it has circulated and collected over 25k signatures is like trying to stop the flood after it is in your living room. The bill is already written up and ready for proposal at the Feb '09 session. One petition will not get legislation to move to action. It is the long, hard work of proponents over a period of years in our Great State and our sister states who have already paved the way.

• It will re-enforce stereotypes about Texans as gun-slinging, Wild West people living in the past.

Oldest and poorest "reason" ever used. There are currently 11 "Gold Star" states - can you tell me which ones they are by the "gun-slingin' wild west" stories that are pouring from those states? My guess is, you can't.

Let me refresh your memory: Vermont, Virginia, Kentucky, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Alaska. And those are just the GOLD STAR states. That doesn't include the other 30 states that allow OC with a permit, or the additional 2 that allow OC in rural areas. TX is only one of 6 States + DC that does not allow OC. Texas is the minority. The precedents have been set and test runs have already been done - there is no gun-slingin' wild west catastrophe to be had.

• It will inflame already high tensions between black and Latinos in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

Ignorant comments, pure and simple. This Hispanic girl doesn't transform into a racially motivated predator when I carry any gun. I can't even come up with a decent retort this suggestion is so pathetic.

• It will give rise to citizen-applied justice if problems along the border increase and illegal immigration continues to increase.

"Citizen applied justice" is what exactly? Law-abiding guns owners are not thugs. Don't think of them as such because they own guns. Most land owners near the border area carry rifles and pistols already on a daily basis. Its as necessary as a bottle of water out there in the open land. This S.Tx. Hispanic girl has some clue about what goes on down there. Transplated Dallas city boy from WA shouldn't comment on that which he does not know.

• It will, in the end, reduce the rights of citizens to carry arms and to enjoy recreational target practice or hunting activities.

I don't see how. Explain. For the love of everything educated, explain!

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Thanks Shorts,I totally agree.Its weird hearing from anti-gunners who have never been in an incident where a gun saved their life.I hate being stereotyped as a" gun nut" for wanting to protect myself and my family.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Thanks Shorts,I totally agree.Its weird hearing from anti-gunners who have never been in an incident where a gun saved their life.I hate being stereotyped as a" gun nut" for wanting to protect myself and my family.

lol Their excuses are old and emotionally charged. Antis can't base arguments on fact or else they'd lose.

Top Bottom