• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I just read an article on a different topic about believing in a "third way" vs viewing the issue as binary which then sets up an "us versus them" scenario.

There Is No ?Third Way? ? Southern Baptists Face a Moment of Decision (and so will you) ? AlbertMohler.com
    Yes, that is a binary issue. You either believe gay sex is a sin or you do not. ...or maybe the third way is that sin as a "thing" is just a bunch of hooey, but I'll stay on the binary topic ;)

Is that disagreement worth going to war over? What if you hired a carpenter to build new cabinets for your house, and you were extremely pleased with the results. Beautiful craftsmanship, finished on time and under budget, but later that week you saw your carpenter down by the river holding hands with another man. Would you rip out your new cabinets and tell everyone he's a terrible carpenter? Would you want to kill him?

The point being is that yes, people have their differences, but focusing on how people are stratified only plays into the hands of despots. The lessons to learn from Yugoslavia isn't how we might fracture and follow the same path, but how not to. Our political leaders have already been using hot social issues to divide us for years, and they use the bickering of the masses as a distraction to grab more power. Lets not feed into that. As long as we can all agree that we don't want to murder each other and we can still do some business together then we won't fall prey to this incited fracturing.
    Guns International

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Truth is truth whether or not anyone believes it. The act is sinful.

What's significantly more important is how we react to that. Do we treat them as brothers and sisters and love them despite their sin, or do we condemn and hate them for it?

I think of Christ addressing the adulterer. He challenged those persecuting her to throw the first stone. He also told her straight up she needed to change her life.

I believe that's the third way. I have a couple friends that are gay (and modest about it - not flaming). They know I'm traditional Catholic (and my beliefs) but they also know I'd be there to help them if they ever needed it. You don't discard an otherwise great person because of that...you pray for them, that God speaks to them and leads them down the right path.

Long story short...the ONLY thing we have control over in this world is our on actions. We never have binary choices in how we react to a situation.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Truth is truth whether or not anyone believes it. The act is sinful.

What's significantly more important is how we react to that. Do we treat them as brothers and sisters and love them despite their sin, or do we condemn and hate them for it?

I think of Christ addressing the adulterer. He challenged those persecuting her to throw the first stone. He also told her straight up she needed to change her life.

I believe that's the third way. I have a couple friends that are gay (and modest about it - not flaming). They know I'm traditional Catholic (and my beliefs) but they also know I'd be there to help them if they ever needed it. You don't discard an otherwise great person because of that...you pray for them, that God speaks to them and leads them down the right path.

Long story short...the ONLY thing we have control over in this world is our on actions. We never have binary choices in how we react to a situation.

Agree. We are to call sin as sin though. Jesus told her to go forth and sin no more. That is the appropriate response. Not stoning her to death but also not her openly living in sin.

So in that, it is a yes or no answer to the question. The response after it can vary.

Like I am against more gun laws. Thats a question with a yes or no answer. Within my response there can be variety and thats why I love all of you beautiful flowers!

Last edited:

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    To answer Dans question? Would I kill the gay carpenter? No. Would I rather give my money to a Christian carpenter and see that he provides for his family with that money, yes.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I support your prerogative to do so, even thought you might be missing out on the best fictional carpenter in the world.

Cue Bobby Brown song. Its my prerogative...

This actually happened to me in a little town. I hired a home inspector...big guy but I thought he was a little different. At the end of the inspection...he closes the topper on his truck to reveal the gay rainbow stickers.

I dont think he was really gay. Must have borrowed his boyfriends truck though.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Yeah, funny how "truth" is pretty relative to one's culture and upbringing. That's another thing stratifies people, but it's still no reason to goto war.

You're confusing truth with belief.

Truth is never relative.

You're right though, still no reason to treat someone poorly.

Top Bottom