• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Your statement ..."also to meet the manufacturers longer oil changeintervals without the oil breaking down."
    I do agree with the contaminants being in the oil making it not as effective.
    The point I'm making is no matter what the "advertised" capabilities of the oil, it doesnt apply if the contaminants make it only a 5k oil change & the Big 3 auto makers have a oil change life of 10k on the vehicle. If you & I are smart enough to have this conversation on a gun forum you'd think some fancy pants engineers would be sitting around the table having the same discussion...lol.

With the timing belt stretch Ford has acknowledged it's due to the 10k oil change interval. (same with the wives Caddy...it wasn't even under warranty & I was 2nd owner & did not have to pay a dime for the repair.) I'm sure the twin turbos don't help in my ecoboost. I was reading on the F150 site the even some of the Raptors are having the same issue with timing chain stretch.
    Target Sports

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I've never heard of such a bad case of timing chains stretching in under 100,000k ... there are some cases of ecoboost with 36k & doing the same thing. I understand it's a wearable part but sure seems like timing chains would last a lot longer before the manufacturers started extending the oil change life.

You seem like a savvy guy that has turned a wrench or two... what do you think the issue is with timing chain stretch & my oil change intervals?
    Contaminates?

Steve_In_29

Semper Fi
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2015
    St John's, AZ
    Your statement ..."also to meet the manufacturers longer oil changeintervals without the oil breaking down."
    I do agree with the contaminants being in the oil making it not as effective.
    The point I'm making is no matter what the "advertised" capabilities of the oil, it doesnt apply if the contaminants make it only a 5k oil change & the Big 3 auto makers have a oil change life of 10k on the vehicle. If you & I are smart enough to have this conversation on a gun forum you'd think some fancy pants engineers would be sitting around the table having the same discussion...lol.

With the timing belt stretch Ford has acknowledged it's due to the 10k oil change interval. (same with the wives Caddy...it wasn't even under warranty & I was 2nd owner & did not have to pay a dime for the repair.) I'm sure the twin turbos don't help in my ecoboost. I was reading on the F150 site the even some of the Raptors are having the same issue with timing chain stretch.
    The fact is (it has been tested) the oil doesn't breakdown so there is nothing to disagree with in that statement.

Steve_In_29

Semper Fi
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2015
    St John's, AZ
    I've never heard of such a bad case of timing chains stretching in under 100,000k ... there are some cases of ecoboost with 36k & doing the same thing. I understand it's a wearable part but sure seems like timing chains would last a lot longer before the manufacturers started extending the oil change life.

You seem like a savvy guy that has turned a wrench or two... what do you think the issue is with timing chain stretch & my oil change intervals?
    Contaminates?
    I would venture it has something to do with the design of the engine placing too much strain on the chain. The chain has to have less slop in it then older less smog equipped cars to meet the standards and return the fuel economy numbers. Thus it is run tighter and more subject to wear. Also the window for the position sensor is probably much narrower to keep it in smog compliance thus showing the chain as stretched earlier.

Or possibly the design of the chain or quality of materials used in it.

Possibly a combination of all of that due to tolerance stacking.

In any case, the chain is less demanding on the oil then the bearing surfaces in the engine. So if oil was bad enough to cause chain stretch the engine itself would need a rebuild at the same time.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    More viscous is ok, what they want to avoid is how regular oil has its molecules sheered, which lowers viscosity to the point it is unable to lubricate.
    It's the VI improvers that are heavily additiized in engine oil that sheer off mostly.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    It's the VI improvers that are heavily additiized in engine oil that sheer off mostly.

I agree.
    Also, TBN hasn’t been mentioned here but indicates relative oil life remaining.

Oil is comprised of its additive pack, and when this gets diminished, its time to change it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pharmaco

Give me those potatoes
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Round Rock
    Sorry but what exactly are you disagreeing with?

As to the timing belt stretch, it has really nothing to do with the oil. You would see bearing wear long before that if that was the case.

I also remember my Toyota stating the timing belt should be replaced at 60K miles. Whether belt or chain they are a wear item.
    Agreed.
    Nothing to do with oil.

I bet those newer vehicles have engineered failures like plastic chain tensioners.

Top Bottom