Guns International

Zero guns allowed at work!!! What are your options??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Guns wernt allowed in AZ prison lots till CCW laws went into effect in the 90s. Then they gave up and installed lock boxes so atleast they wernt left in cars with inmate working the parking lots.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Our work situation was bizarre.

No guns allowed was in the employee handbook, but the property had zero signage against any visitors carrying inside.
    That's very common. A lot of weasel shit inserted into employee handbooks by the insurance company and staff lawyer.

If you're truly valued at work, they'll overlook or allow variances for just about anything as long as you aren't bragging about it.

If you aren't valued enough to get away with things then you're on borrowed time anyway, so... carry either way ;)

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    From USCCA the presenter discusses what if anything one can do about your employer says no guns allowed or you can't work here. Can you change the policy or find another job? Carry anyway and hope no one notices.
    I am for any business to have their own rules about guns. If one doesn't like them work somewhere else or hide the gun and hope no one sees it.

I carried for decades in prohibited places. I dress well and am extremely polite & deferential to all. And, I noted others "printing" all over but said nothing. Some were absurdly obvious.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Let me remind my Friends here of my circumstance.

I was a young Academic Physician at Texas Medical Center in 1980, and my work had me visiting outlying areas all over Houston.

One evening, I was accosted by a man who at first I mistook for an employee of a suburban hospital where I had gone to consult on an unusual brain problem.

The fellow feigned a concealed gun and tried to kidnap me. I was in tip-top shape for a marathon the next week, and I was able to temporarily overpower him and escape.

The next morning he tried to strong-arm rob an acquaintance of mine, from a different part of life, who was a Special Forces Soldier who had lost a hand in combat. "Hook" of the then popular "Hook's Gunshop" on South Post Oak.

Hook was carrying (illegally) a cocked Hi-Power in a s.o.b. rig under a vest.

Of course, the robber had zero chance on that and was held for arrest. I spoke with Hook, who told of intent to attend the court "charging session" on request of the arresting HPD officers.

I called Hook and told him to call me if additional testimony were needed.

A little while later, Hook called back to report on the Judge's ruling. He said that when the Judge saw the complaints and the guy's record, he learned that the man was only a few days out of Huntsville on probation or parole from a different armed robbery and a series of other crimes, some violent. According to Hook, who was present, the Judge simply told the crook: "You don't seem to learn any lessons. I am permanently removing all provisions and restoring all original sentences with NO possibility of other parole, they will be served in full and sequentially. If you ever get out again, you'll be a very old man!"

I was quite disturbed and consulted two career HPD Officers, one a high-rank from"Homicide" and a career Patrol Division Sergeant. Both emphatically told me to go ahead and carry, that the HPD would never bother me about it unless I were drunk or otherwise causing them a problem.

I went back to Hook, as my only handguns were a target .22 and my Python. I bought a J-frame and a Walther PPKS .380 with "deep concealment" rigs, including a s.o.b. and an ankle holster and carried in all prohibited places in Houston for years. No other incident.

I learned my Banker-father's habits of dressing very well, being extremely polite to all, and staying physically as far from potential trouble as possible.

Of course, years later when Texas offered "CHL'S", wife & I got them and have kept them up since.

During the subsequent 42 years, I have had occasion to prepare to draw a half-dozen times, but have never been forced to actually draw. I have had to tell potential attackers "Stop, don't make me draw my weapon!" while letting them see that I did have a .45 in hand. that has always worked.

Let me add that everyone, before deciding to carry, must make the reasoned decision that they will draw and fire if circumstances require. Absent that firm personal conviction, the presence of an unused weapon may just make things worse.

I once told a garden tool armed "Katrina Refugee" on a central Houston residential sidewalk that if he took one more step, I'd draw and order him to ground to await HPD arrest, and if he took two more steps I'd kill him on the spot. When he saw the Kimber coming out, his eyes got really big and he started apologizing and backing up. He had taken me, an old man walking slowly with a cane, for an easy mark.

leVieux

LynnKCicle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2022
    Houston, Texas
    From USCCA the presenter discusses what if anything one can do about your employer says no guns allowed or you can't work here. Can you change the policy or find another job? Carry anyway and hope no one notices.
    I am for any business to have their own rules about guns. If one doesn't like them work somewhere else or hide the gun and hope no one sees it.

When that happened to me, my gun was locked in my car while I was working. Yes, I could have concealed it without anyone knowing. But my principles have always said, "Your house, your rules." If I cannot abide your rules, I go elsewhere.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    I worked for the feds for 12 years and we could not have a firearm in our vehicle on federal property. You risk immediate termination and a felony charge for a violation. Of course, we had armed security on site at work but that did nothing for you on your drive home or stopping at a store after work. I wrote one of my Senators to ask for an allowance for LTC holders but he was too chicken to sponsor a change in the law.

A felony conviction for what? It is not illegal to have a personally-owned firearm on Federal property unless it's the Post Office.

18 U.S. Code §930 clearly states (and focus on the word "facility," which I've highlighted):

Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities

(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.

(b) Whoever, with intent that a firearm or other dangerous weapon be used in the commission of a crime, knowingly possesses or causes to be present such firearm or dangerous weapon in a Federal facility, or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.

(c) A person who kills any person in the course of a violation of subsection (a) or (b), or in the course of an attack on a Federal facility involving the use of a firearm or other dangerous weapon, or attempts or conspires to do such an act, shall be punished as provided in sections 1111, 1112, 1113, and 1117.

(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to—

(1) the lawful performance of official duties by an officer, agent, or employee of the United States, a State, or a political subdivision thereof, who is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of any violation of law;

(2) the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon by a Federal official or a member of the Armed Forces if such possession is authorized by law; or

(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.
    (e)

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal court facility, or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 2 years, or both.

(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to conduct which is described in paragraph (1) or (2) of subsection (d).

(f) Nothing in this section limits the power of a court of the United States to punish for contempt or to promulgate rules or orders regulating, restricting, or prohibiting the possession of weapons within any building housing such court or any of its proceedings, or upon any grounds appurtenant to such building.

(g) As used in this section:

(1) The term “Federal facilitymeans a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.

(2) The term “dangerous weapon” means a weapon, device, instrument, material, or substance, animate or inanimate, that is used for, or is readily capable of, causing death or serious bodily injury, except that such term does not include a pocket knife with a blade of less than 2½ inches in length.

(3) The term “Federal court facility” means the courtroom, judges’ chambers, witness rooms, jury deliberation rooms, attorney conference rooms, prisoner holding cells, offices of the court clerks, the United States attorney, and the United States marshal, probation and parole offices, and adjoining corridors of any court of the United States.

(h) Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (b) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal facility, and notice of subsection (e) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal court facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under subsection (a) or (e) with respect to a Federal facility if such notice is not so posted at such facility, unless such person had actual notice of subsection (a) or (e), as the case may be.

(Added PUB. L. 100–690, TITLE VI, § 6215(A), Nov. 18, 1988, 102 STAT. 4361; amended PUB. L. 101–647, TITLE XXII, § 2205(A), Nov. 29, 1990, 104 STAT. 4857; PUB. L. 103–322, TITLE VI, § 60014, Sept. 13, 1994, 108 STAT. 1973; PUB. L. 104–294, TITLE VI, § 603(T), (u), Oct. 11, 1996, 110 STAT. 3506; PUB. L. 107–56, TITLE VIII, § 811(B), Oct. 26, 2001, 115 STAT. 381; PUB. L. 110–177, TITLE II, § 203, Jan. 7, 2008, 121 STAT. 2537.)

I take firearms on Federal property all the time, to shoot at the Sportsman's Range at Camp Bullis for example.

There is a huge "No Guns!" sign on the door to range control due to the above law, but it is not illegal to have firearms on the military installation!

If anything, it's a base commander's policy; and you cannot receive a felony conviction for failing to abide by it, but you can be restricted from coming on base!

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    A felony conviction for what? It is not illegal to have a personally-owned firearm on Federal property unless it's the Post Office.

18 U.S. Code §930 clearly states (and focus on the word "facility," which I've highlighted):

I take firearms on Federal property all the time, to shoot at the Sportsman's Range at Camp Bullis for example.

There is a huge "No Guns!" sign on the door to range control due to the above law, but it is not illegal to have firearms on the military installation!

If anything, it's a base commander's policy; and you cannot receive a felony conviction for failing to abide by it, but you can be restricted from coming on base!

Doesn't stop them from posting crap to scare people though.

When I was towing, occasionally I'd wind up getting a call at the VA hospital. VA hospital is situated on the campus of a state-owned university hospital. You get to the edge of the "Federal property" and there are "NO GUNS ALLOWED ON THIS PROPERTY" signs, with indications that bringing a gun onto said property is a crime, not just taking the gun into the building. Its not exactly like there's guard shacks (a state owned road ran thru the campus) and controlled access.

Its still bullshit that you can't carry into a damn posted office but there's not a senator or congressman that has the balls to forward a bill to strike that nonsense down.

HPFlashman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2020
    Northwest Florida
    I legally carry a concealed handgun when I leave the house. Except for those half a dozen or so times a year that I go to the Navy base for a doctor's appointment, to pick up medications or have lab work done. At the main gate they do the rare contraband search or ask you randomly if you have any "contraband". I will not lie to them, so on those occasions I leave the pistol and ammo home. It galls the heck out of me to be weaponless for the 50 mile round trip. I remember clearly back in the early '70s they sold guns and ammo at the base NEX/PX. I used to keep my guns in the trunk of my car and in a locker in the barracks. Most of us did and whether legal or not it was never a big deal, never an issue.

I remember when some bad characters killed military recruiters a while back. My S-i-L was a Navy recruiter in the Pacific Northwest. They were told specifically that they were not allowed to carry a concealed weapon while in uniform. His recruiting office was in a strip mall in a big city. I gave him a S&W Shield 9mm. He carried it. BFYTW

Let's remember too who it is that usually stops a mass shooting at a military base (Fort Hood, NAS Pensacola...). It's civilian cops. But only after military people are killed on those gun free bases.

What a farce and a tragedy that military folks stateside, on their bases are a more helpless target than a civilian at a shopping mall.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When that happened to me, my gun was locked in my car while I was working. Yes, I could have concealed it without anyone knowing. But my principles have always said, "Your house, your rules." If I cannot abide your rules, I go elsewhere.
    Being “retired” now, they can all just go to Hell. If a business, I may try to explain to owner the ramifications & that they are excluding their most desirable customers, not criminals.

A few years back in Baton Rouge, a couple hunting buddies were loooking @ new “Tundras” @ dealer. Punk salesman had heard them talk guns, told them they had to leave if armed, pointed to little sign.

They came back next day with two new trucks from next town’s Toyota place.

Manager noticed, called his boss, Punk was fired on the spot & all his signs were removed.

I’ve been much less successful.

Here where there are no state signs, anti 2A geniuses go around convincing businesses to put up “No Guns” symbols, but virtually none understand what the effects are.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Doesn't stop them from posting crap to scare people though.

When I was towing, occasionally I'd wind up getting a call at the VA hospital. VA hospital is situated on the campus of a state-owned university hospital. You get to the edge of the "Federal property" and there are "NO GUNS ALLOWED ON THIS PROPERTY" signs, with indications that bringing a gun onto said property is a crime, not just taking the gun into the building. Its not exactly like there's guard shacks (a state owned road ran thru the campus) and controlled access.

Its still bullshit that you can't carry into a damn posted office but there's not a senator or congressman that has the balls to forward a bill to strike that nonsense down.
    AMEN !

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    As an employee with any company, you have a choice.

>Either choose to work there; or don't.<

We (our company employees) don't have the benefit of our full rights while at work.

Examples:
    - I don't have my 1A right to voice my opinions in the halls of my office. If I march down the hall saying my boss is a ##### (no matter how true it is) I will be fired. If I go around badmouthing our work or others to my clients or co-workers, or protesting administrative decisions due to my political beliefs; I will be given the boot. Do I have a right to my opinion? Yes, but not while at work.

^^This is exactly why I disagree so much with the SPORT protests... these "players" are at work and thus should treat it as such. Your actions and statements reflect positively and/or poorly on the organization. Kneel for the flag, sure you can, but you should immediately be terminated... do you have the right? YES, but not while you are expected to perform in front of the camera.

- 2A: If firearms are not allowed (usually due to insurance purposes), then they are not allowed. As an LTC holder, having my EDC in my possession is grounds for termination if discovered. Now, again I have a choice to work there; I can simply go somewhere else that allows EDC. However, in my field (Civil Engineering) I am continuously around politicians, State, City, and County officials, and also in buildings where 30-05, 06, & 07 are already posted. I can either lock my gun in my car or work somewhere else at a fraction of the salary.

- 4A: All correspondence, office materials, developed company plans, and generated documents are proprietary to the company. At anytime my office, computer, desk, etc. can be searched by the owners or I.T. of the company. Keep your nose clean, and your integrity intact, and there should be no issues. Denying access to, or destroying emails, and documents are grounds for termination where I work.

Again, we all have a choice of where we earn our $$'s.
    I choose the bigger salary any day, so I have chosen to stay here and adhere to the rules.

As soon as I leave, I arm back up again and head home.

ETA: repaired a few grammar issues

Last edited:
    Top Bottom