• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kewhitted

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2017
    Houston
    Going to the range to zero new rifle. Got a box of Hornady American Whitetail. My thinking was to zero at 200. Don't really get much opportunity to shoot beyond that.

Anyone got thoughts on this ammo? Hornady usually equals precision. Plus it was on sale.

kw

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Depends on the caliber. A lot of the most popular hunting calibers, if you are zeroed at 100 yards, you should be within an inch or so at 200 yards. Plus you would be closer at less than 100.
    I have one rifle that I purposely zeroed so that point of impact would be within 1 inch of point of aim from 50 yards to 175 yards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    It's hard to say since you don't mention the caliber. I zero my .243 at 100 yards and that seems to work well.
    If you can find Federal Fusion ammo in your caliber, probably a little better than Hornady Whitetail as far as expansion and penetration.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Hornady WhiteTail is pretty good stuff for the price. I trust Hornady's hunting bullets and it shoots well.

Where do you hunt that you feel a 200 yard zero is the best choice?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If you don't shoot past 200 but will likely shoot closer I would zero somewhere short of 200.

Exactly where would be dependent on the ballistics of the caliber your shooting. For deer it probably won't matter that much for most hunting calibers though.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Once you get enough experience, learn (if you're hunting) about Point Blank Zero or learn (if you're target shooting) to keep a proper log book. For a beginner, though, all that is needless complication.

OP - Zero anywhere from 100 to 200. Once you know where your rifle hits, you'll be fine. Learn the other stuff later.

Heck, I firmly believe most hunters go their entire lives without figuring out how to properly zero a rifle and they still manage to put game on the table.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I zero my rifles at 100 generally. My 30-06 has an AO that allows me to turn the dial and be on point at whatever the range is (theoretically). I tried it this weekend at 300 at was within a baseball range of dead center. I didn't mess with changing it up.

My bull-barrel AR is zeroed at 100, but it was only 1"low at 300. I suspect my 243 or 270 would be much lower.

Most of my hunting is 150-200, and when I shoot the rifle zeroed at 100 yds, its so close I don't feel I need to zero for 200.

But like someone else said, the caliber could make a difference in that decision.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ... the caliber could make a difference in that decision.
    Good point. Lemme run over to JBM and run the numbers.

<two minutes later>

The worst-performing Hornady American Whitetail ammo (the type specified by the OP) is .30-30. If he zeroes at 200, he'll be 5 inches high at 100, assuming the use of iron sights out of a Win 94. (I'm just guessing and decided to set up a worst case scenario.)

Every other Hornady American Whitetail load shoots flatter and, out of a bolt rifle with a scope mounted higher than the irons on a lever-action, the distance for zero can be 100, 200, or even a bit shorter or longer and hitting a deer will still be a matter of holding dead on. Since the OP specified a Savage Axis and all the factory chamberings for that rifle shoot much flatter than the .30-30, I'll stick to my original assertion that it doesn't really matter what range he zeroes it if he's only shooting out to 200.

Last edited:

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    I like to zero about 2” high at 100 for 30-06 and 308. It gives me plenty of range 200-300yds with no need to readjust. Past 300 you really need to make adjustments, calculate windage etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom