• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Finally gonna get to shoot my rifle this weekend. As far as zeroing in my sights, from what I’ve read and from videos I’ve seen, is starting out at 25 yards and shooting a group of 3 the best way to get started? And is there a certain target I should be using to do it? Also, after I get it pretty close at 25, do I move to 50 or even further?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    You don't necessarily need three. Just keep shooting and adjusting until you're hitting the smallest point on the target you can see. Usually, I'll go straight from 25 to 100. If you're off less than an inch at 25, you're easily going to be on paper at 100. A spotting scope helps.

c.tiberius

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    25 first to until you're on paper.if you're lucky and they are already close, it should be no more than 5-6 rounds.
    After that move to 50 and shoot until you are on the X. i don't mess to much with it at 50 because most misses or a bit larger group is mostly because of eyesight and movement from the shooter.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Thanks. I really appreciate all the advice. Any other advice y’all have so I’m not that guy on the range that everyone is looking at and saying, “Hey, look at what this dip-shit is doing” would be greatly appreciated also!

c.tiberius

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    Have fun and don't be conscious of people around you.
    Sometimes is better to figure things yourself, this is one of those things YOU need to do.
    if people offer to help, take a chance and let them help. Most know what they are doing.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Finally gonna get to shoot my rifle this weekend. As far as zeroing in my sights, from what I’ve read and from videos I’ve seen, is starting out at 25 yards and shooting a group of 3 the best way to get started? And is there a certain target I should be using to do it? Also, after I get it pretty close at 25, do I move to 50 or even further?

There isn't any one standard way to do this.
    Most folks fire a few rounds at 25 and check where the bullets are impacting. I prefer to do five to ten rounds.
    Using a scope or binoculars, check where you're hitting vs. point of aim. Adjust as needed.
    Please, please, please use a proper sight tool. Don't gouge up your new rifle using a screwdriver or pocketknife to adjust the sights.
    Once you have it "dialed in" at 25, shoot there for a bit.
    Make sure the sights are clicked/settled in and everything is repeating as it should be.
    Then go out farther.
    100yds pretty much is everyones standard.
    I'm gonna tell ya, 100yds with irons isn't easy if you have less than perfect eyesight. You can practice for a while and get them in there but low light or low contrast targets make it difficult.
    As far as targets go I recommend a WHITE round or square center in a larger black field. You want about a 3-4inch white center for 100yds. Light red will work but white shows up better thru the sights. Your front sight will "disappear" against the black.
    Black or fluorescent orange centers suck. They DO work better when using a rifle scope.
    Another suckage is seeing the bullet hole in the black areas af the target.
    Unless you have a quality spotting scope finding that itty bitty .223 hole will be a pain in the neck. Literally. As you'll be bent over that cheap ass, dim, cloudy, lens scratched P.o.S. spotting scope you borrowed from the range office searching for the bullethole.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Man, this is a really good forum. The only other forum I visit (a reptile forum, I keep snakes) gets real “judge-y” (not sure that’s a real word!”) So there are times I won’t even bother asking a question. But I have got a lot of good help on here. Thank you.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Remember, cross winds will affect the impact horizontally depending upon how high the winds. You can still adjust the vertical.

Also, use a ballistics calculator (many available, just do a web search) to find out if you are zeroed at 100 yards, where you want the point of impact to be at 25 yards. If you truly zero at 25 yards, you will be off at 100 yards.

If you already knew all this, never mind.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Also, use a ballistics calculator (many available, just do a web search) to find out if you are zeroed at 100 yards, where you want the point of impact to be at 25 yards. If you truly zero at 25 yards, you will be off at 100 yards.

If you already knew all this, never mind.

This.

We used to zero at 25yds, use a chart, and call it a day.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Besides a scope to check the target, are there any other things I will need? I’ve seen people using slings, but I’m not sure if that would be overkill for someone like me just starting out. And shooting from the prone position, will I need something to rest the rifle on? I’m sure these sound like dumb questions, but that’s just how green I really am!

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    On my new rifle that was sadly lost in a boating mishap, I used the 50 yard range, and my boys good eyes. I have no idea how many rounds I fired. Was having too good a time to count. More fun to just learn the gun.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Besides a scope to check the target, are there any other things I will need? I’ve seen people using slings, but I’m not sure if that would be overkill for someone like me just starting out. And shooting from the prone position, will I need something to rest the rifle on? I’m sure these sound like dumb questions, but that’s just how green I really am!

A solid rest is best for sighting in. Sand bags work fine for this. If you'r rifle does not move between shot you can dial the scope crosshair to the impact.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    If you sight it in at 25 yards, your point of impact should be about 1½" below your point of aim. That will put you about 2 inches high at 100 yards. If you try to match the POI to the POA at 25 yards, it will be 6-8 inches high at 100.

Top Bottom