• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Then what is the use of having a neighborhood watch to begin with? Are you expecting folks to monitor a 100' radius of a corner and that's it?

t

100' is a pretty small radius around your house. I can see much further than that without stepping out the front door.

More seriously though, the bad choice to follow is related to GZ getting out if his vehicle. As sage explained, not a tactically sound decision. It could get you jumped from behind by a young punk or something.

Trueno

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2008
    Golden Triangle
    100' is a pretty small radius around your house. I can see much further than that without stepping out the front door.
    No idea what your specific logistics have to do with the general idea of following/not following a suspicious person.

More seriously though, the bad choice to follow is related to GZ getting out if his vehicle. As sage explained, not a tactically sound decision. It could get you jumped from behind by a young punk or something.
    You're free to agree with sage, I'll just have to disagree with both of you. In Zimmerman's case, what's the use of having neighborhood watch in the first place if you're gonna stay in your vehicle?
    You lose sight of the subject, call 911 and wait 3min-30min-3hrs for the cops to arrive...cops show up and ask you where the subject is, you suddenly realize how useless you and your techniques are. Again, what's the use of a non-proactive watch?

Thank goodness the cops aren't scared,

t

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    No idea what your specific logistics have to do with the general idea of following/not following a suspicious person.

You're free to agree with sage, I'll just have to disagree with both of you. In Zimmerman's case, what's the use of having neighborhood watch in the first place if you're gonna stay in your vehicle?
    You lose sight of the subject, call 911 and wait 3min-30min-3hrs for the cops to arrive...cops show up and ask you where the subject is, you suddenly realize how useless you and your techniques are. Again, what's the use of a non-proactive watch?

t

It's not likely to cost the cop hi dress of thousands of dollars if he has to use his gun;)

I've been in situations much more dangerous than a neighborhood with a suspicious person.

You insinuate that not getting out of a vehicle retakes to someone being scared. I say that, depending on the situation, it relates to not being stupid.

How about, if 911 would take to long, you call your neighbors and inform them of the suspicious person???

And on one more note. If its gonna take the cops 30 minutes to get there, do you plan on tackling the suspicious person to keep them there till the cops arrive? How far do you plan on following them on foot? All the way back to their buddies?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    You can what if it to death, and hind sight is 20/20. There is nothing wrong with following someone on foot as Zimmerman did. Remember, he was not playing some game. The neighborhood had been burglarized. By keeping the suspicious person in sight and relaying the info to the police you are likely to have a better response and better chance for the police to make contact.

All this talk about tactics... :confused:

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    I dunno, obviously it's Monday Morning quarterbacking.

But I live in an established middle class area. It's well maintained, and basically short of the million dollar mansions it's one of the nicer areas that isn't new development.

We have a lot of riff raff foot traffic. Mostly peddlers of some sort. But others just cutting through the neighbor hood.

I've had teens stop and take photos of my car. Last night the neighbor caught 2 hood rats in my drive way looking at my car at 4 in the morning.

A lot of times I'll step outside, concealed carrying. Just to establish a presence so these suspicious characters know someone is watching.

I know most of my neighbors some quite well. So we've got a pretty good idea of who belongs and who doesn't.

Anyway, more than once I've engaged these people. Non-threatening, hey what's up? You selling something?

But I really think in Zimmerman's case, I have no issue with him getting out of the car. IMO most petty theft is an act of convenience. And inconvenience is a good deterrent. I really don't think getting jumped was taken into consideration, when he made that decision. And I don't think that was an un-reasonable conclusion. Unfortunately for both parties involved Zimmerman did get jumped. But getting out of the car,is by no means the smoking gun that it has been made out to be...

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

t

FWIW, I'd have probably followed, too. But I've never been accused of being smart enough to follow my own advice. :p

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    All this talk about tactics... :confused:
    It's a valuable discussion because it allows us to learn by example. Thinking about what we would do in that scenario helps us be better mentally prepared if we're ever in a similar situation.

Last night the neighbor caught 2 hood rats in my drive way looking at my car at 4 in the morning.

A lot of times I'll step outside, concealed carrying. Just to establish a presence so these suspicious characters know someone is watching
    Yeah, I've actually done that as well. I always go outside not only armed but with my dog, too. She's looks serious but is a sweetheart. The punks don't know that, however ;)
    I also let my girlfriend know if I'm going to go check something out. If something bad happens she can call 911, be ready to apply first aid, etc...

Top Bottom