• Status
    Not open for further replies.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    Zip-Tie Student Scandal | KIII TV3 - News, Sports, Weather South Texas, Corpus Christi | Texas News

SAN JUAN, Texas (AP) - School district officials say a
    25-year-old south Texas teacher's aide charged with illegally
    restraining a student using zip-ties has quit.

Pharr-San Juan-Alamo Independent School District Superintendent
    Daniel King says Jose Manuel Martinez resigned Dec. 15, the day the
    boy's mother reported the incident.

Martinez, who was originally identified mistakenly as a teacher,
    allegedly used the plastic ties to bind an 11-year-old boy's hands
    at Austin Middle School.

Another aide who witnessed the incident told police that the boy
    had used vulgar language and became violent, refusing to do his
    work. That witness said the boy was bound for five minutes and it
    was the third time he had been restrained that way.

Martinez is free on bond. The Monitor reports a woman who
    answered the phone at his home said he was unavailable.
    Texas SOT

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Another aide who witnessed the incident told police that the boy
    had used vulgar language and became violent, refusing to do his
    work.

Too bad the good old days are gone when he could have slapped the shit out of the little punk and sent him home to be "punished" by his father.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Or taken to the cloak room and had his butt paddled with a 1 X 4 like they used to use on us when we needed it !!! We survived and didn't dare to tell it at home or we'd bet the belt or razor strap...

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Sounds like the kid deserved it. Now he is getting coddled at home and being treated like a victim. What a bunch of hippie tree hugging crap.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    With any luck:

guantanamo-21.jpg

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    They should have stuck the 11 year old in a van and dropped him off on the other side of the border with no papers and 20 pesos...

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    They should have stuck the 11 year old in a van and dropped him off on the other side of the border with no papers and 20 pesos...

A little harsh for an 11 yr old kid. Spankings I agree with . Ditching 'em in another country is a little over the top, I'd say.

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    A little harsh for an 11 yr old kid. Spankings I agree with . Ditching 'em in another country is a little over the top, I'd say.

Perhaps for a "normal" 11 year old, but seems like they 40 is the new 30, I think 10 is becoming the new 20 on the other end and that means the adult problems start sooner just can't punish them the same.

I guess you might not realize how easy it is to score drugs in middle schools lately, but yeah I think it is getting that bad..

Young Gun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    DFW, TX
    I don't think drugs has anything to do with this thread.

An 11-year old not wanting to do his school work is a pretty common problem. In the past, spankings and calls home worked out pretty good. Today, you can't spank, and calling home will likely get the teacher in just as much trouble as the student. That's a problem.

Throwing an unruly 11-year old out of the country won't solve anything. I realize it was probably a sarcastic remark, but that's why it wasn't taken seriously in the first place.

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    I don't think drugs has anything to do with this thread.

An 11-year old not wanting to do his school work is a pretty common problem. In the past, spankings and calls home worked out pretty good. Today, you can't spank, and calling home will likely get the teacher in just as much trouble as the student. That's a problem.

Throwing an unruly 11-year old out of the country won't solve anything. I realize it was probably a sarcastic remark, but that's why it wasn't taken seriously in the first place.

Sarcastic? only a little bit, but mainly because actual discipline is not allowed to be practiced so kids do what they want with no fear of any consequences. This 11 year old will soon be a 13 year old troublemaking piece of crap in middle school and likely a drug dealing, gangbanging, thief before finally dropping out of school.

So I figure throwing it back to Mexico now would save a bunch of trouble later for responsible Americans...

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    You're a fool if you think that's going to solve anything. Get real. He's 11 years old and we don't even know how much of the teacher's aide story is fact yet. If your outlook on society as it pertains to a child is that horrible, perhaps its your mentality that's the problem, seeing as how your "solution" is child abandonment.

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    You're a fool if you think that's going to solve anything. Get real. He's 11 years old and we don't even know how much of the teacher's aide story is fact yet. If your outlook on society as it pertains to a child is that horrible, perhaps its your mentality that's the problem, seeing as how your "solution" is child abandonment.

If the government wants to tell everyone how to raise their kids and this is what you get then what are the options? I think things were much better before the government started telling people how they can and cannot raise their kids and deal with discipline problems. If I am not allowed to deal with the problems as they arise and as I see fit then let someone else deal with them...

I don't particularly care for kids and maybe it is because I wish I had never been born, but again that wasn't something in my control.

Perhaps the actions of the aide were extreme and out of line, but I am guessing there were other attempts (albeit futile it seems) to deal with this nasty sounding kid. If he was already "dealt" with three times in the same manner apparently the kid wasn't going to learn from his actions and that is what I am talking about.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Zip-tying the kid doesn't work. Children do not react to public humiliation in the same manner as adults, ergo adult punishment doens't work for children.

Packing the kid off to Mexico is a temporary solution. If the local roofing company is any indication, he'll be back in a few years anyways.

I'm a big fan of parental beati... errr, punishment. Unfortunately it sounds like this child's parents don't punish him, or that the kid does not react to punishment.

It's hard to say the right course of action without knowing the facts and details.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    ...because I wish I had never been born...
    A bit dark are we?

If the kid did in fact get violent, I don't see the issue in restraining him. I agree that there needs to be a way to punish the parents. If the parents realize they have to take responsibility for their kids actions, they might actually be motivated to teach their kid how to behave... and that's the real issue. This kid was obviously never taught how to act.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Okay. I try and stay out of the parental guidance department, mainly because I was a shit head of a kid and as a newly wed I have no children. But how in the world does dropping a smart mouthed kid in Mexico with no papers and 20 pecos going to deal with the problem at hand besides get the child in some real danger and possibly killed? I say if he was getting violent then restraining him was a reasonable action but you can cause some broken bones and loss of fingers from improperly restraining someone. I don't disagree with the kid being restrained all that much if he going to try and hurt himself or others, but at the same time that teachers aid (from the info in this article) has had no training in the use of restraints. and at 11 years old the kid is more prone to break than a 20 something year old gangsta. But if the kid was getting punished for his actions at home he likely would care more about his actions at school. And I'm going to leave CPS out of this for now other than saying that that is a department that started out with it's heart in the right place and has turned into a joke.

Moss_Berg5150

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Instead of raising a complaint, the mother should have whooped his ass then took him back to the school and made him apologize infront of the whole class!

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    But how in the world does dropping a smart mouthed kid in Mexico with no papers and 20 pecos going to deal with the problem at hand besides get the child in some real danger and possibly killed?

Problem solved, maybe the next one will think twice before acting up more than once or twice...

Instead of raising a complaint, the mother should have whooped his ass then took him back to the school and made him apologize infront of the whole class!

Such a lovely story, but the government apparently knows what is best for every family out there and handing down actual discipline is a no-no... (hence the increase in disciplinary problems)

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Jason, you're an idiot. Please don't breed, and don't give advice about kids as you obviously do not have a heart, let alone an understanding of human rights. Should the kid have received punishment at home. Yes. Does the government run family discipline? No. They sure don't in my house or anyone I know. Children act up and need to be punished, no doubt, but you are contemplating killing an 11 year old child on someone's word whom you don't even know is dependable in the first place. If you are so dark and wish you hadn't been born...well, get some help. There are plenty of doctors out there who would be more than willing to help you and not all of them are just out for your money. Otherwise, STFU

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom