Texas SOT

Armadillo anyone?

Swedonia

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
We have been having some fun discussing these unusual critters, their destructive habits, their relationship with Hansen's Disease, their suitability as table fare and other topics on a couple of forums.
There is a seven-page thread on armadillo hunting over on castboolits.com, and a Cajun gentleman named Gary from Baton Rouge shared this very interesting recipe for Armadillo Sauce Picante.
I may try it with pork, not having any fresh 'dillo in the fridge.

Armadillo Sauce Picante

Shared by Gary of Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

serves 8

About 4 1/2 lbs. of Armadillo Meat (see Note #1)
cleaned and cut up into equal sized pieces.
1 cup Bacon Grease or Vegetable Oil - divided
3/4 Cup all-purpose Flour.
2 cups chopped Yellow Onion
1 Cup chopped Bell Pepper
1/2 cup chopped Celery
2 Tablespoons chopped Garlic (about 5 cloves)
6 ozs. Tomato Paste (small can)
1 Cup Dry White Wine
4 cups Chicken Stock
28 ounces diced or crushed Tomatoes
1 or 2 Jalapeno Peppers - chopped (seeds and ribs removed)
1 teaspoon dried Red Pepper Flakes
1 bunch Green Onions - chopped (tops and bottoms)
3 Tablespoons Sugar.
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire
4 Tablespoons fresh chopped Parsley

Seasonings :
1 Tablespoon Creole Seasoning Blend ( Like Tony's or your favorite)
plus some extra for the meat.
1/2 teaspoon dry Thyme
2 Bay leaves

Instructions:
Clean and cut the meat into equal sized pieces ( See Note #1)
Season with Creole or all purpose seasoning and place in refg. untill needed .
Heat 2-3 Tablespoons Veg. oil (or bacon grease) in a Dutch Oven (or chicken fryer w/ lid) on Med.-High heat, brown the meat pieces on each side , about 4 mins per side . Remove the browned meat from the dutch oven to a platter and set aside .
Lower the heat to Medium , add the remaining oil (bacon grease) and when the oil is hot and shimmering , add the flour and whisk or stir for 5 to 8 minutes to make a Dark Roux ... scrape the pan bottom , do not let Roux stick or burn ... whisk or stir constantly ... if you burn he roux , start over .
When the Roux is dark brown ... remove pan from fire and add the Trinity - Onions , Bell Pepper and Celery stir untill the hot Roux is cooled a bit and then saute the back on med. heat until onions are soft and translucent .
Next add Garlic , some of the Red Pepper Flakes and about 1/2 of the spices that are listed ( but not the bay leaves , they come later ) continue to saute untill the spices are aromatic about 2 mins ( the heat releases the aromatics) .
Maintaining Medium Heat stir the Tomato paste into the Roux-onion mixture and saute 5 to 8 mins while the tomato paste browns slightly ... Keep stirring so it doesn't stick or burn !
Add the white wine and mix throughly , scrape the pan bottom . Saute another 5 mins. untill the wine has incorporated into the roux-onion-tomato paste .
Now add the whole tomatoes which you crush with your hands ( this was what my Mom did ... I buy diced or crushed tomatoes ) add all liquid with tomatoes .
Then add Worchestersire , sugar , about 1/2 of the remaining seasonings , jalapeno peppers and bay leaves . Mix thoroughly and simmer about 5 mins.
Increase the heat to Med-High and stir in the stock .Stir well and bring to a high simmer then lower the heat and continue on a slight simmer for 45 mins , partially cover the pot and stir often .
Add the browned meat , including any meat juice , the remaining herbs , spices and Green Onions . Continue to simmer for 1-2 hours untill the meat is tender and the sauce nice and thick . Cover the pot the first 45 mins. uncover and cook to thicken the sauce . When done taste and adjust seasonings to taste .

Serve over white rice with hot buttered French Bread and a green salad.

Notes;
#1) You can use this recipe with any of the following:
Chicken , Alligator , Rabbit , Squirrel , Nutria , Venison (deer meat) , Wild Hog even domestic pork ... You don't have to use no Armadillo !
I have cooked / eaten Sauce Piquante made with all of the meats listed and they are all great !
#2) This dish is better the next day ... and it Freezes very well .
#3) Add more heat by adding additional chopped Jalapeno's ... to me this taste's better than pepper in a sauce piquante .

deemus

my mama says I'm special
Lifetime Member
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I prefer my armadillo smoked or cooked in the ground. Very tasty light meat (the other white meat?) that is very tender slow cooked.

I’ve had a couple and no ill effects.

baboon

TGT Addict
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
One of the neighbors is a Cajun guy & he is always talking about eating various critters. Most of the neighbor hood guys look down on it. Then after Dave tells them the cajun method I break loose with my recipes

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Just No!
there are some things you just don't put in your mouth.
I like Armour-dillos they are fun to watch and actually cool little animal.

Tex62

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grew up in LaPlace in the 70s. I was a transplant and not native.

We had a bunch of Dillos running the neighborhood as we lived in a rural area. One of the neighbors decided to try to prepare one. Neither my dad or I were interested in trying it so he tried to see if f his dog would. His dog Lucky having good sense passed on it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tex62

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the neighbors is a Cajun guy & he is always talking about eating various critters. Most of the neighbor hood guys look down on it. Then after Dave tells them the cajun method I break loose with my recipes

They’ll also eat robins. It’s actually a big thing there.

baboon

TGT Addict
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
They’ll also eat robins. It’s actually a big thing there.

My first BB gun my dad supervises me for a while tell me don't shoot no windows bottles or animals, then leaves me on my own. Well my inner big game hunter has me shoot a robin. Apparently the old man was watching me & was on me instantly, That's where I learned you don't kill something that you don't eat. He talked me through dressing out that robin & had me start a charcoal fire. Then he had me cook it and eat it. I thought it tasted like a dove.

dsgrey

Well-Known
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a cajun friend growing up and they'd eat possum. Uh no, I've seen those nasty things crawl out of a dead cows ass after they've ate their fill.

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Had a cajun friend growing up and they'd eat possum. Uh no, I've seen those nasty things crawl out of a dead cows ass after they've ate their fill.
That makes for an interesting mental image that can't be undone. Regarding the eating of possum, I would rather remove my own spleen with a dull butter knife.