• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coonan357

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2013
    Just below the panhandle of Texas
    In early 2014 I just had to have an SR-762. I don’t know why, I just had to have it. I put a Hawke 4.5-14x42 scope on it and a Geissele ssa-e trigger replaced the stock heavy gritty trigger.
    I immediately ran into the early run problems of failure to eject and failure to feed. It went back to Ruger and was returned very promptly. I had a hiccup or two with it after that but then it outgrew the teething pains. I then became concerned that the BCG was eating the buffer face so back it went to Ruger almost immediately. Once again the turn around time was very quick. The BCG was replaced. Hindsight being 20-20 I probably could have taken a file to the back of the original BCG and solved to issue myself, but I like Ruger’s fix better.
    The Hawke scope didn’t survive the first one-hundred rounds before it experienced failure. Hawke replaced it with a new scope. That one lasted a bit longer before it had to go back under warranty. They replaced it with a new scope with a higher variable power. I put that one on my CZ457 American.
    Fast forward to earlier this year. I just had to have an SFAR. Again, I don’t know why, and it had to have the 20” barrel. I put an EOTech XPS3-0, just because I have no experience with holographic sights and this one appealed to me. I really like it.
    I took the SFAR to the range for break-in and fed it a bunch of inexpensive 7.62x51. Almost immediately I began to experience failure to fully extract. I left the gas setting on 2 and I wasn’t too concerned. The safety officer stopped by and we chatted. I mentioned what was happening and he asked it I had cleaned the weapon when I first received it. I had and I told him that I had lubed it quite well. I pulled the BCG and showed it to him. “You’re going to want more oil than that in there” he said. I didn’t think that was the case but figured, “what the hell” and really laid on the oil.
    I had two failures to extract within the next ten rounds and then the rifle never looked back. More than 120 rounds later and no further issues.
    I also brought the SR-762 and I was having a blast re-familiarizing myself with iron sights. I didn’t do too badly if I do say so myself, ancient eyes and all that. And no hiccups there at all.
    Yes, I’m fairly pleased with both of these rifles. Now I just need to experiment to find what ammunition they really like.
    Please don't read too much into the target. This was at 50 yards as I wanted to get acquainted with the rifle and do some preliminary sighting-in. A lot of what you see are groups intermingling as I fiddled with sight settings. The last couple of magazines were at 100 yards (no pictures of those groups) with a bit of wind and I was quite pleased to see that the rifle was chafing at the bit for me to be a better shot.
    20240330_144023.jpg
    Hurley's Gold

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    The SR762 is a fine rifle. They had some early production problems, mostly replaced those rifles. The new ones work great.
    No issues at all.

Ruger did not learn their lesson, though. Reading posts from a number of SFAR owners, they are having major early production problems yet again. I am sure Ruger will make it right.

Seeing how quickly Ruger has dropped some rifles, I am unlikely to purchase another.

Top Bottom