• ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

I’d bet that many here have experienced some degree of hearing impairment.

Between zilions of rounds fired, hunting / military, and sitting b/t unmuffled airplane engines, at age 80 my hearing is “in decline”.

Most will face the question of “What, if anything, should I do?”. This brings up the related question of “hearing aids”.

Our “Ear Doctors”, both real ENT Surgeons and their Quack imitators/pretenders, really push “hearing aids”. They are as bad as used car salesmen, and twice as persistent. There is great profit in hearing aid selling. Politicians have even got our V.A. on-board, with all sorts of supplemental payments for us “Veterans”.

I thought some on here may benefit from my recent experiences in this area. Yes, I’ve been having periodic detailed “hearing tests”, with their squiggly line reports. Because of my field of work, I actually understand the “techno-gibberish”; but what exactly does it mean in terms of helping us during our “decining years” ?

First, pushers of the aids often liken them to eyeglasses, which is deceptive. One can easily remove, don, or change eyeglasses for the situation at hand. Not so with the aids, which ride within the outer ear canal, requiring experience & effort to remove. Plus, glasses don’t make those embarrassing squealing sounds in Church.

They are not uncomfortable or terribly noticeable. As if I were concerned about the outward appearance. I have been repeatedly offered “fittings” of aids, most recenty by my really great young Ear Doc, once a student where I taught.

Recalling that I have several Physician Friends, and other Friends, with recent experience as the patient, wearing new hearing aids, they were “polled”..

Three of those Docs said that the aids are “more trouble than worth”; while a fourth Doc was still undecided. Another Non-MD Buddy told of paying north of $7K for his pair, only to soon learn that his Nephew’s $299 WalMart devices actually worked better for him, a lot better.

Considering life situations: If your probem is compaints re LOUD radio or TV, consider place a bluetooth speaker at your chair. If your problem is hearing the sermons @ Church, the aids will help, as there is no background noise there.

If it is understanding conversation in a loud area or crowd, good luck. If you have difficulty with private conversation, try asking the person to speak slowly, more loudly, and to be “clear”. If a super hot chick, just stand closer, you now have a real reason & excuse.

One gigantic problem with today;s technology seems to be cancellation or diminution of “background noise”. My $!K+ pilot headsets work great, but they are quite large, unlike the aids. The “Walkers Game Ear” & other hunting headsets work relatively well, as they both physically obstruct outside noise, plus cancel noises electronically.

But, it seems that the micro circuitry needed fo fit into one’s ear still has great difficulty in this area.

MY bottom line: If hearing is causing you significant problems, get a pair of the $99 to $299 devices, just to see how you tolerate the concept of wearing hearing aids. That may help you avoid a $7,000 mistake.

Good Luck; remember that “Old Age is NOT for Sissies !”

leVieux

<>
    Guns International

Nicholst55

Retired, Twice.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Houston Area
    New hearing aids are significantly more advanced (not necessarily 'better') than those of just a few years ago. If you have a compensable disability (not just for hearing loss - for any rated disability) from the VA, they will provide free hearing aids. The VA does a lot of this work, and they generally have very good quality products. Realize however, that there is a 'I changed my mind, and I don't like these' period that they do NOT tell you about. And while the equipment provided by the VA is good quality, the same cannot always ne said about their Audiologists - a situation that I am only too familiar with. My VA-issued hearing aids are run by an app on my phone. I can adjust them to filter background noise, like when in a restaurant, or to filter wind noise when outside. While they are far from perfect, they are light years ahead of the last set that I had.

I have no experience with the current crop of over-the-counter hearing aids, so I can't speak to that.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    My wife says we don't need them, I'm 71 she is 70. Most times I just agree with what she said because I'm tired of saying "what". Some times I put closed captioning on the TV. I wouldn't mind trying some Bluetooth hearing aids that connects to the phone. My TV has Bluetooth I wonder if I could connect with it?

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    New hearing aids are significantly more advanced (not necessarily 'better') than those of just a few years ago. If you have a compensable disability (not just for hearing loss - for any rated disability) from the VA, they will provide free hearing aids. The VA does a lot of this work, and they generally have very good quality products. Realize however, that there is a 'I changed my mind, and I don't like these' period that they do NOT tell you about. And while the equipment provided by the VA is good quality, the same cannot always ne said about their Audiologists - a situation that I am only too familiar with. My VA-issued hearing aids are run by an app on my phone. I can adjust them to filter background noise, like when in a restaurant, or to filter wind noise when outside. While they are far from perfect, they are light years ahead of the last set that I had.

I have no experience with the current crop of over-the-counter hearing aids, so I can't speak to that.
    <>

Yes, thank you, I had forgot to include that.

Every time, EVERY one, they claim that “these are the brand-new ones, they have been redesigned to not have those problems”.

For practical purposes, while the changes over decades may be impressive, the model-to-model & year-to-year ”improvements” are mostly salestalk.

leVieux

<>

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    This is a good topic and I appreciate your insights.

It might just be me, but I CRACK UP whenever I read one of your “rants” due to the punctuation gymnastics.

I can’t help but picture you sitting at the back table at Sambo’s in your overalls with the rest of the octodegenerates holding court.
    old+men.jpg

I imagine you telling one of your long, rambling stories and randomly YELLING the occasional word while liberally sprinkling “air quotes” at various intervals.

It’s highly entertaining.

I’ll have to go back and look through some of your posts like John Nash to see if this is some kind of elaborate code and you’re secretly asking for us to come bust you out of the home.

:)

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    The VA provided me with a set of Oticon hearing aids a couple of years ago. They work very well except for one small problem. The right ear is fine, but there is no way to get a decent fit in the left ear. The small plastic domes come in either 8mm or 10mm. 8mm slips into my ear way too far, and 10mm won't go in at all. There are no 9mm domes.

A few months ago, one of my Oticon aids got damaged. While the VA had it out for repair, I bought a set of IBstone hearing devices, as they call them, on Amazon. I don't remember what they cost but I'm fairly sure they were less than $200, and they work almost as well as the Oticon.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    With age comes hearing loss and it did for me. I went to a professional audiologist, had a professional test and bought a professional set of Livio AI 1600 behind the ear rechargeable hearing aids. I love them, after 1 3/4 years the rechargeable batteries needed replacement under warranty and during that mail off time of 2 weeks I really appreciated what it was like when not not having them. I used Livingston hearing center, they are in multiple locations, and have had excellent service.
    No experience with the new OTC aids but my philosophy is the he who treats himself has a fool, etc. Cost was $5 k, money was in a medical savings account that I pretty much wasn't spending otherwise. A close friend has his from the VA, has nothing but trouble. My understanding is that Costco and Sams have centers and good units available but I don't know if their service is good.
    The new hearing aids are wonderful. Blue tooth to the phone, etc. Wish I could get something for my old dog who has learned hand signals as he can't hear a thing.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    My father had hearing problems from an early age, and it was certainly worse after his time in the military. He reluctantly wore a hearing aide - the kind with the big piece behind the year. When the weather was warm, sweat would short it out, so he had a wad of kleenex stuffed behind his ear as well. That turned into 2 hearing aids, and then it evolved to a point that neither one helped him much. The VA was able to outfit him with a cochlear implant (the hearing aid is wired directly into your brain). It works well, but because of his age it never worked super well. A big problem is that it's not directional - you hear the noise from 360 degrees around you, so trying to hear in a noisy room is impossible. I've seen some little kids - like pre-school kids - wearing cochlear implants. (There's a magnet in your head that connects to the wire going to the earpiece.) The technology has been improving at a rapid pace, so now you can custom tune your individual unit for a range of sounds.

BigRed

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest
    Now he lives in the islands, fishes the pilin's
    And drinks his green label each day
    He's writing his memoirs and losing his hearing
    But he don't care what most people say
    Through eighty-six years of perpetual motion
    If he likes you he'll smile then he'll say
    Jimmy, some of it's magic, some of it's tragic
    But I had a good life all the way

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    This is a good topic and I appreciate your insights.

It might just be me, but I CRACK UP whenever I read one of your “rants” due to the punctuation gymnastics.

I can’t help but picture you sitting at the back table at Sambo’s in your overalls with the rest of the octodegenerates holding court.
    old+men.jpg

I imagine you telling one of your long, rambling stories and randomly YELLING the occasional word while liberally sprinkling “air quotes” at various intervals.

It’s highly entertaining.

I’ll have to go back and look through some of your posts like John Nash to see if this is some kind of elaborate code and you’re secretly asking for us to come bust you out of the home.

:)
    <>

Good thought; but, no. I spent 16 of the last 19 years as “Cinical Professor” @ UTMB, UT HSC-H, & LSU HSC NO / UMC LA Med Schools, and guess I got stuck in the “lecturer” mode.

I have never owned coveralls. My post retirement “uniforms” are Summer: Water sandals, cargo shorts, fishing shirt over heavy T-shirt. Winter is similar, but Wrangler jeans & New Balance hiking boots or running shoes.

Can’t run, can barely walk; but give the bicycle a work-out.

Thanks for the thoughts. . . .

leVieux

Nicholst55

Retired, Twice.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Houston Area
    The VA provided me with a set of Oticon hearing aids a couple of years ago. They work very well except for one small problem. The right ear is fine, but there is no way to get a decent fit in the left ear. The small plastic domes come in either 8mm or 10mm. 8mm slips into my ear way too far, and 10mm won't go in at all. There are no 9mm domes.

A few months ago, one of my Oticon aids got damaged. While the VA had it out for repair, I bought a set of IBstone hearing devices, as they call them, on Amazon. I don't remember what they cost but I'm fairly sure they were less than $200, and they work almost as well as the Oticon.
    I had the same problem initially. I tried every available size and style of rubber dome, and nothing worked. The audiologist finally said 'Oh, we can make you custom molded earpieces,' and they did. Now I can keep them in my ears and actually hear with them! They were just too lazy to do it initially. Ask them about the custom molded earpieces!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom