• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jvlc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I am new to 1911's, I bought a desert Eagle, and I have been told that it fairs much better than the average 1911 ie:Taurus, Ruger etc. I was thinking about obtaining the S&W 1911 from their performance center; but the reviews I have seen are not good. If I wanted to add to my 1911 collection, what would you recommend in the less than $2000.00 price range?
    Hurley's Gold

jvlc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I recently saw a rock island 1911 and it reminded me of my desert eagle in that it was built with tight specs; which I dig.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    One thing I've learned with them is to check for slop everywhere. I saw a video on YouTube a while back with a guy explaining what you're looking for.

I don't have any hard evidence, but its my personal experience working with anything mechanical, that slop increases wear and creates inconsistencies.

When I'm looking at 1911's from a buyers perspective, I like to look at a minimum of two-sometimes three different brands of similar models. That's when you can REALLY see the differences.

I'm carrying a Remington R1. For the most part, its a very smooth and tight gun. The stock trigger on it is junk though. I'll get around to upgrading that one of these days....lol The gun is in the $700 range but I stumbled on a used one for $500. I intended on just flipping it for profit, but its way too good of a gun. :D

Last edited:

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    In your under $2000 price point you can get into some very nice Dan Wessons. Valor, VBOB are both very nice 1911's.

Hondo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    The F in DFW
    A budget of under $2000 will get you some very good 1911's.

Les Baer, Wilson, Fusion, and STI come to mind. I settled on a STI Trojan, it may not be be the best one of the bunch but for $1000 it's a good 'un.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    I will second Navy on the DWs. I have three, well four counting the wheel gun. All are very good and have 3.5 to 4 pound triggers from the box.
    the Valor is their top of the line and compares well to guns costing a grand more.

Under a grand, I would look at the Springer range officer. I have one and will a true radius trigger job, set at 3.5 pounds, it is incredible.

But every 1911 guy needs a Colt. A series 70 repro would be hard to beat especially if one wanted to do some work to it.

Kimber makes fine guns. Most of their problems are overstated. I have owned kimbers and they have ran well. They sometimes are a little finicky on ammo and mags but most 1911s can be that way too. Kimber makes more 1911s a year than anyone else.

As far as tight fitting, what is important is the barrel and bushing fit. Slide to frame fit is only about 5% of final accuracy. If the barrel locks up tight and the bushing is tight to the barrel and slide and the barrel rides the slide properly and not just the link, then the gun will be mechanically accurate. Even a mediocrely fitted 1911 is more accurate that 90% of the shooters.

Last edited:

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Of all the M1911's I own, the Desert Eagle is hands down the very best, followed by the Ruger, and my Kimber Target is the very worst.

My Colts are good to go, but not as good as the Desert Eagle or Ruger.

The Springers in the stable deliver, especially the "Range Officer."

The most surprising -11 in the bunch is a Citadel 9mm that shoots like a laser beam. It is very inelegant, but a tack driver right out of the box with a trigger equal to any custom gun I ever shot.

This is the "short" version of my thoughts on M1911's.

Blayglock

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    San Antonio, TX
    I've owned over 30 plus 1911 from $300-$3000 dollars.

for under $2K I'm most impressed with Dan Wessons but some nice Baers can be had as well.

If you up your budget just a bit get a Guncafter Industries.

STIs can be good but I've had to adjust the extractor tension on every single one of them out of the box. Also their polymer finish sucks. My spartan was 100% reliable however. My shadow not so much.

Last edited:

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I currently own 66 1911's. In your price range, I'd beeline straight to STI. Period. Nothing against Baer, Ed Brown, Wilson, et al (and yes, I own them as well). My most recent acquisition was a Sig Texas Edition. COMPLETE *fail* IMO, because the trigger was one of the worst I've *ever* encountered, bar NONE. A trip to my 'smith resolved it, but it's left a VERY sour taste in my mouth for 'em.

I've handled the Red Jacket .45 - liked it enough that I have being made with some customization as we speak - but they're backlogged so far right now that they're not even taking orders for 'em right now.

Top Bottom