• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Couple days ago the belt busted on my work truck. Ram 3500 diesel. Limped it in, temp maxed out at 260.

Fleet mechanic replaced water pump and belt yesterday.

Since then I've had the MIL light on as well as the lightning volt symbol and a message saying "service electronic throttle control". Truck drive like I'm pulling an anchor. Mileage dropped from 11 to 9.3. Turns over about 2 seconds before starting (much longer than usual).

Any ideas on what would cause this after a broken belt? I could take it to Dodge but we are swamped with work and already have 1 (of 3) truck down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    You got a code reader for the dodge? If not, take it to an autozone real quick and they can tell you what code its throwing. I'd definitely try to reset the entire computer by pulling the battery cable, it's what I have done in the past for a stupid CEL for something like leaving the gas cap off when starting an engine.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Tried the battery cables last night. Left them loose for half an hour with headlights on and door open. Only reset the clock.

Believe I found the issue. Crankshaft position sensor got chewed up when the belt broke. Looks like it goes hand in hand with throttle control errors.

Trying to get my boss to approve the purchase, he's typically pretty stubborn about us fixing anything on these trucks. Even when it's extremely simple.

Course, he probably thinks you have to tear the engine down to change the sensor.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I e never heard of needed it flashed after crank sensor replacement. Changed on other vehicles with no issue and it's a very basic sensor.

Not saying it can't be true, just wouldn't expect it.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    It's an update for the calibration to that specific sensor. Each one has their own manufacturing tolerances, so they'll each trigger at a slightly different actual crankshaft position. There's usually a relearn process which will accurately determine the trigger point to actual crank rotation. Being a Dodge it probably involves a LOT more song and dance than is necessary.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Hopefully the shop flushed the radiator clean.....If they didn't, an overhead service is soon to come.

I'm guessing they didn't. Replaced the water pump and belt and never looked for any damage. Little lone test drive the thing to see if it was fixed.

Ain't my money. Oh well.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    It's an update for the calibration to that specific sensor. Each one has their own manufacturing tolerances, so they'll each trigger at a slightly different actual crankshaft position. There's usually a relearn process which will accurately determine the trigger point to actual crank rotation. Being a Dodge it probably involves a LOT more song and dance than is necessary.
    Watch it bud

I know where you stay

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Fixed it. Driving right, just need a few cycles to reset the codes.

77d1693dd4cb9d3d4b4149a6c2594b40.jpg

Top Bottom