Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Personally, I've stopped half-assing my workouts.

I go to the gym every day and have for a long time. Unfortunately, that doesn't do any good if I don't sweat. I'm now sweating.

I hate to admit, though, that external factors are in play. My old gym was unstaffed, unmaintained, and filthy. Understand that by "filthy" I mean it was a 24 hour gym used extensively by the homeless as a place for their daily ablutions which tended to include leaving urine and feces in all sorts of places they shouldn't be. Unsurprisingly, it went out of business.

My new gym is staffed with encouraging people who make me feel motivated. It also has an outdoor exercise area with punching bags, sledges to swing, and tires to hit. I like stuff like that. It also has not just a good selection of weights and racks but also a number of machines that I like and I'm using. The place looks like it was thrown together out of the remains of at least three other gyms, including at least one CrossFit box, that went out of business. As an added bonus, every corner of the place is kept meticulously clean.

IOW, it's not a cookie cutter franchise and I really, really like it.

So nowadays I'm sweating and breathing very hard at least once a day...and not just from climbing a single flight of stairs. :)

I have more goals but this is enough for now.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    I don’t really understand people shitting on the dad/husband in that picture. maybe the guy isn’t the most fit, but he’s clearly carrying several bags of stuff, probably everything the family took with them when they evacuated. If the mom hopped out of the boat right behind him and walked to dry land, nobody would have ever cared. Wanting to be in better shape is a good thing for sure, but a meme comment that was probably made by someone who has never carried someone out of flood waters even once in their life is probably not the best reason to feel superior to someone else.

/rant

Hope everyone hits their fitness goals for the year!

Just got over being sick and did my first workout in a couple weeks. Felt miserable, but can’t just put it off forever.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013

I go to the gym every day and have for a long time. Unfortunately, that doesn't do any good if I don't sweat. I'm now sweating.

I hate to admit, though, that external factors are in play. My old gym was unstaffed, unmaintained, and filthy. Understand that by "filthy" I mean it was a 24 hour gym used extensively by the homeless as a place for their daily ablutions which tended to include leaving urine and feces in all sorts of places they shouldn't be. Unsurprisingly, it went out of business.

My new gym is staffed with encouraging people who make me feel motivated. It also has an outdoor exercise area with punching bags, sledges to swing, and tires to hit. I like stuff like that. It also has not just a good selection of weights and racks but also a number of machines that I like and I'm using. The place looks like it was thrown together out of the remains of at least three other gyms, including at least one CrossFit box, that went out of business. As an added bonus, every corner of the place is kept meticulously clean.

So nowadays I'm sweating and breathing very hard at least once a day...and not just from climbing a single flight of stairs. :)

Proud of you Ben!

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Did not pedal my 8 mile run on stationary bike today. (in the Summer months, do not pedal on days I'm going to mow...my step counter says I cover 4 miles with push mower...the fool State ditched my 100 yards of frontage, so I need to do a couple laps with the push mower there as well as four laps around house & garage before firing up the tractor...no need to pedal those days...)

Shoveled 4" of snow off my 300' of driveway, instead....

Plus some other outdoor stuff/work needin' attention...(had some high winds...needed to undo what the wind did)LOL

Like Ben, am pedaling at a pace (plus have 5lb ankle weights on my wrists for upper body work whilst a pedaling in place) that I am sweating for a good 25 to 30 minutes of my 40 to 45 minute routine, almost every morning...

Was at the heart Dr. last week. He says all my numbers are good...EKG and all the blood work.

Sadly, have developed a severe LOATHING of salad stuff....Really need some real FOOD! Such as a Country Fried Steak, mashed taters, gravy, green beans, roll...and I would eat a small salad with that....

The thought of broccoli? Almost makes me want to puke go KILL SUMPIN! Drag it to the fire & devour it! :roflfunny:

MezzanineDebt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2024
    Houston

The "I've stopped half-assing my workouts" was motivating to read. Admittedly, I sometimes workout on the lower weight range of what I do optimally just because lifting weights is just damn hard work, especially after a work day.

Sorry to hear about your gym being used by the homeless. I have heard the homeless do this often since they do not have any other place to shower. They should not be urinating or defecating in random places though....... but I assume most of them are suffering from some form of mental health issue.

My goal for the year is just to be more active and fix my posture. I work a desk job and it can be hard to be activate after 5pm, especially when my brain feels like mush around the evening time.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Just remember everyone diet is 80% of this... the exercise just helps you build strength and in some cases endurance.

BTW this was today. I ran 17 minutes and cooled down 3. I'm running 6.5 mph and before I ran this I had done all of my upper body work outs including pull ups (without assist)

1708223683093.png

Made this video montage New Years Eve, while people were out partying I was the ONLY person in the gym

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Just remember everyone diet is 80% of this...
    Quoted for truth. For the morbidly obese, especially the folks who are morbidly obese several times over, diet is 95% or more of weight loss. I used to be there and I know.

What has scared me into doing better was my last endo visit. They weighed me and congratulated me on losing another 5 pounds. I, on the other hand, knew that my waist had gotten 2 inches bigger. IOW, I was losing exactly the wrong weight.

At this point, as I get closer to semi-healthy, exercise is becoming a much bigger percentage of any formula for success.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    As an aside, my new gym has one of those body composition analysis machines. It's not covered by my insurance so if I get it done at my endo (they have the exact same equipment, an InBody body composition analyzer) it'll be $200 out of pocket and I probably won't do that. But I'm willing to spend $30 at the gym to get a quantifiable baseline.

IB570_45degree_left-1.png

Anybody have any experience with this? I'd appreciate your thoughts on the usefulness of the technology.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    As an aside, my new gym has one of those body composition analysis machines. It's not covered by my insurance so if I get it done at my endo (they have the exact same equipment, an InBody body composition analyzer) it'll be $200 out of pocket and I probably won't do that. But I'm willing to spend $30 at the gym to get a quantifiable baseline.

View attachment 434929

Anybody have any experience with this? I'd appreciate your thoughts on the usefulness of the technology.

buy this bad boy.. the RENPHO BLUETOOTH scale its 22 bucks and is pretty accurate.

olddirtygerm

Awesome
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Started my 2024 fitness goals in November. I built a gym in my garage a few years back and got lazy when I packed it up to move. I have no reason to go back to a gym since I have everything I need so I have no excuse. Spent a year skipping or half assing my workouts anywayws. Back on track and going at it hard. Eliminated sugar, desserts, and 95% of the carbs. Down 25 lbs. Really only another 5 or 10 left I could lose. Next goal is just lifting heavier.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Started my 2024 fitness goals in November. I built a gym in my garage a few years back and got lazy when I packed it up to move. I have no reason to go back to a gym since I have everything I need so I have no excuse. Spent a year skipping or half assing my workouts anywayws. Back on track and going at it hard. Eliminated sugar, desserts, and 95% of the carbs. Down 25 lbs. Really only another 5 or 10 left I could lose. Next goal is just lifting heavier.
    Home gym setups are the best! So much more convenient, and cheaper in the long run.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The "I've stopped half-assing my workouts" was motivating to read. Admittedly, I sometimes workout on the lower weight range of what I do optimally
    "Not half-assing" isn't like that for me. I have knee, shoulder, and back injuries that make themselves felt if I ever push "optimal" weight. I don't expect to ever know my one-rep max for a deadlift or any other weightlifting task.

I'm making it up in volume.
    Sorry to hear about your gym being used by the homeless.
    In principle, I didn't mind. A gym membership and a cell phone can enable a homeless person to continue to feel human and maybe get a leg up on making their life better.

But I really hated finding feces on the toilet seat, the tank, and the floor nearby. Also, the urine seemed to wind up all over the shower rooms.

At that now-defunct gym, my after-workout shower always started with thoroughly cleaning the room, a task I didn't mind too terribly much. Still, the new, clean gym (in a much better neighborhood) is a huge change for the better.

olddirtygerm

Awesome
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2018
    Fort Worth
    But I really hated finding feces on the toilet seat, the tank, and the floor nearby. Also, the urine seemed to wind up all over the shower rooms.
    I quit one of the last gyms I was a member of after finding someone used the shower as a toilet and left a log in the corner. I worked out there at 5am so if it was in the shower when I finished working out it had been there all night. There are some disgusting people at gyms.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom