• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Hey all, I'd love to get into 3-gun, but have to admit I'm kind of intimidated and confused by the rules. I'd like to shoot something that's more or less a "practical" class, so I want to make sure one piece of gear I've got isn't going to bump me too high...

Anybody have an easy, succinct way to understand the rules as far as classes go?
    Hurley's Gold

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Well first thing I would do is find the local 3-gun clubs and talk to their points of contact. Google is your friend. Then go to the next shoot as an observer and bring electronic ear muffs and talk to the guys. These guys spend most of their time stsnding around and would love to talk about the sport. They may loan you a gun and let you shoot a course of fire. You might bring your tactical rifle pistol and shotgun and let a RO evaluate them for mods and class. Then take noted on accessories and what you will need for your first shoot. My advice is not to buy anything before you observe your first match.

On the other hand like me you may deside it's too much standing around and not enough shooting or that it's a game and the game rules are getting in the way of valuable training time and budget.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    Just jump in the pool, the water ain't that deep

Show up with what you have; folks tend to be pretty nice in this sport.

Generally speaking:

1. Iron sight pistol 9mm or bigger, iron sight rifle .223 or bigger, 20 or 12 gauge shotgun (no more than 8+1, no porting): Tactical or Tactical/Iron. Example: http://www.dreadnaught-industries.com/images/file/guns/3Gunheap_TacIron_Oct11.JPG

2. Iron sight pistol, rifle with one optic, shogun (no more than 8+1, no porting): Tactical/Scope. Example: http://www.dreadnaught-industries.com/images/file/guns/3Gunheap_TacScope_Oct11.JPG

3. Compensated/dot pistol, rifle with any sort of sights/optics, shotgun of any configuration: Open Horrible example: http://www.dreadnaught-industries.com/images/file/guns/3Gunheap_Open_Oct11.JPG

I say "generally" because rules vary a bit by match...some recognize "Heavy Metal," for example, as a 308 rifle, .45 pistol, and a 12 gauge pump shotgun. Some just want a 308 rifle. Some matches allow a non-magnified optic (such as a red dot) in Tac/Iron. Some matches limit magazines (no 100-round mags in Tac, only 10 rounds in your Open shotgun, etc.) but...generally speaking, those are what you will see

Speaking as a guy with a little experience in the sport, both as a rather avid competitor and as a Level III match director, CRO, RO, and interested party, the key ingredient is having fun. Bring what you have. I started with a Para P14, 870 side/folding pump gun, and a M4 with a Trijicon Reflex II. My carry gun, "house" gun, and a basic rifle...nothing fancy. Bring magazines for your pistol. Bring a pouch, at least, to carry rounds for your shotgun. Bring magazines for your rifle. Pack no less than 200 rifle, 200 pistol, 100 shot, 20 slugs (you can always take it home again). Bring...gear that works, and that you know how to operate...and you will do just fine

Alex

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Thanks, that was pretty much what I was hoping. I was mostly worried about my pistol because I've only got one mag that fits flush, and it has a TFO sight on it. But it sounds like it should be fine. Definitely not ready for open class...

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    I am having trouble finding matches around the dfw area...

There is a match at TDSA about once a quarter, put on by Ferris Practical Shooters. There are more frequent ones at Collin County also. Otherwise you need to drive to OKC or Best of the West if you want some more frequency or variety. I'll be headed to three in January between OKC, Ferris and Best of the West if you want a ride.

EODbusch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    Central Texas
    For you Dallas folks, if it's not too far for ya, up in Sherman there's a place called Red River Firearms that puts on shoots and I think they do 3 guns matches. You'll have to call em, but I think they do shoots a couple times a month.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    BTW, I haven't really found anything about 3-gun in San Antonio. Anybody got a link?

Well first thing I would do is find the local 3-gun clubs and talk to their points of contact. Google is your friend. Then go to the next shoot as an observer and bring electronic ear muffs and talk to the guys. These guys spend most of their time stsnding around and would love to talk about the sport. They may loan you a gun and let you shoot a course of fire. You might bring your tactical rifle pistol and shotgun and let a RO evaluate them for mods and class. Then take noted on accessories and what you will need for your first shoot. My advice is not to buy anything before you observe your first match.

On the other hand like me you may deside it's too much standing around and not enough shooting or that it's a game and the game rules are getting in the way of valuable training time and budget.

I've done some carbine matches and have a pretty good idea what works already.. for a rifle and pistol, anyway. The one thing I'm going to change and the AR (since I sold my EOTech anyway) is to put a 1-4 variable on it. I've wanted to for a while now, this is just another excuse to do it.

ken hebert

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2011
    Port Arthur
    BTW, I haven't really found anything about 3-gun in San Antonio. Anybody got a link?

great match every third saturday at Best of the West range in Liberty Hill. I drive a little over 4 hours each way to shoot it. You might get in touch with Jaime Foote and see if you can carpool with him. Nice guy, from San Antonio.

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    Taged.. I have the pistol, and shot gun.. Rifle will be built this week, AR platform.. Nothing fancy, but should work.. Time for another distraction! LOL.. Just read the shot gun of 20"... What about 18.5". Is that allowed?

Don't they shot 3-gun at ARC?

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Just read the shot gun of 20"... What about 18.5". Is that allowed?

You can run an 18.5" no problem. If you stick to it, you may want to move up to a longer barrel (same length as your mag tube) with mobile chokes. I'm running a 22" barrel that I cut from a factory 28" and threaded for chokes. Keeps the gun the same length as my 8 round magazine tube.

Shotgun_med.gif

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    Good plan...shoot first, then figure out what you want to change. You will probably be doing that a lot anyway. Coughboxesofholstersfoursafesfullofgunscoughcheapsportmyasscough...

:)

Alex

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Good plan...shoot first, then figure out what you want to change. You will probably be doing that a lot anyway. Coughboxesofholstersfoursafesfullofgunscoughcheapsportmyasscough...

:)

Alex

LOL!

I've shot a lot of carbine stuff, and some pistol matches, so I have a fairly good idea what I'll need gear-wise. The shotgun side will have a bit of a learning curve to it, I'm sure, but I've been poking around and researching the gear side of it. I just want to get some new optics on the AR first... Though I guess I could bring my AK out to play, but I'd be at a huge disadvantage for long range shooting.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    Watched a guy hit a 485 yard LaRue "flash" target on his third shot "on the clock"...with a M4gery topped with a craptactular ATN "red dot" sight. Amazed him too. You don't need a Z6i or a Tac30 1-4 to play...there are folks running around shooting factory iron sights and doing well enough to win matches.

Although Kurt did admit that he had a custom front sight (to his factory rear), in that he chucked the (factory) front post up on a drill press and thinned it "some" with a file

Alex

Top Bottom